Author Topic: I have a fix for sagging turn signals.  (Read 1029 times)

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
I have a fix for sagging turn signals.
« on: August 23, 2019, 12:21:09 PM »
Hello everyone.  I recently repaired the sagging turn signals on my Enertia and thought that I would share how I did it.  My method isn't perfect but made a big improvement in my opinion.

The factory signals seem to lack proper support to give the rubber stem enough rigidity.  After disassembling the signal and disconnecting the two wire leads from the reflector, I inserted a piece of hollow threaded rod (lamp pipe - see photo) through the large hole in the rubber stem so that there was enough on both ends to get a nut threaded on.  I had to use a washer on the end of the threaded rod where the signal attaches to the motorcycle and file/grind it so that it did not interfere with the existing mounting nut on the signal.  The other end of the rod did not require a washer.  I just threaded the nut directly to the rod. 

The lamp pipe is hollow threaded rod that is roughly 3/8 inch in diameter.  I cut it into pieces that were just long enough to allow for the washer and nuts to be placed on the rod (roughly 2-5/8 inches.)  If the rod is too long the wires for the signal won't reach.  I also placed some heat shrink sleeves over the wires where they came in contact with the ends of the rod to prevent damage from friction.  Lamp pipe is available at local hardware stores and home centers in the electrical department.  You'll also want to purchase the nuts made for the lamp pipe.  They are quite thin.

I'll try to post some additional photos soon.  If anyone has specific questions feel free to ask.  Yes, I could have purchased aftermarket signals but am trying to keep the bike as original as possible.

« Last Edit: August 23, 2019, 12:23:33 PM by sunchaser »