Author Topic: Recently purchased an Enertia. Have questions.  (Read 1585 times)

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Recently purchased an Enertia. Have questions.
« on: August 04, 2019, 04:04:30 PM »
Hello everyone,

I just recently purchased a 2010 Enertia.  I'm really enjoying the bike and have a few questions for the experienced owners on the forum.

1.  The throttle is sticking and doesn't fully return to the off/closed position when released.  Is there a fix for this?

2.  Turn signals are sagging.  Fix or replace?

3.  The trip meter doesn't reset with a single press/press and hold of the green button.  Is it malfunctioning, or am I doing something wrong?

4.  Is there an ideal charge/discharge percentage guideline to follow to maximize the longevity of the batteries?  I thought that I heard something about keeping lithium batteries to be in the 20% to 80% SOC range. 

That's all for now.  Thanks for reading my post.  Any suggestions are appreciated.

Barty

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recently purchased an Enertia. Have questions.
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2019, 09:54:56 PM »
sunchaser,
   I discovered I can reset my mileage by pressing in both buttons on the display and holding them in for a few seconds...

I always charge my batteries to 100% after use, and leave the unit plugged in for 24-48 hours to balance the battery cells. My imbalance is reporting around 80 - 88 mv. I "heard" 100 mv imbalance is not a good thing...

After several (8 to 10) charges / dis-charges, the imbalance has not changed...

« Last Edit: August 12, 2019, 09:57:42 PM by Barty »
Brammo 2012 Enertia

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2019, 07:02:23 PM »
Hello Barty,

Thanks for replying to my post.  I'll try pressing both buttons as you suggested.  Thanks for the tip.

As for charging, I too have been charging to 100% after use but then read something in the Empulse section of the forum from Frodus or Protomech about avoiding having the battery SOC at 100% for extended periods of time.  I also try to avoid discharging the battery below 20-30 percent if I can avoid it.  Maybe one of the experts will chime in and share their wisdom?

I'll have to take a look at my cell balance and report back.  It would also be good to know how often to perform a balance charge.

Lots to learn.

Thanks again.

jazz999

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2019, 11:03:26 PM »
Yea you shouldn't charge to 100% unless you are going to ride it soon thereafter.  Leaving it at 100% will cause the batteries to degrade faster.  I usually leave mine around 70-80% and if I know I need more, I charge it up before I use it.  Over the winter I store it around 60-70%.  I do charge it to 100% and leave it plugged in 1 day to make sure the cells are balanced but that's it.   I have an enertia and an empulse.  I treat them the same.

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2019, 09:54:29 AM »
Thanks for the information.  Do you think that ending the charge on the Enertia while it's still drawing 8 amps is going to have a negative affect on any of the components?  I noticed that once the SOC reaches a point in the 90-100% range the current drops from 8 to 1 amp.  Do you think that it would be better to end the charge at that point, or does having the battery in the 90+ range degrade it as much as having it at 100 percent?

Another question I have is when to measure the cell imbalance.  I believe that the manual mentions checking the balance while the batteries are charging, but that is difficult to do because the voltages are fluctuating.  I've also noticed that the value between the high and low seems to change as the SOC increases. 

Thanks again for the help.