Author Topic: Riding the Enertia at night  (Read 4899 times)

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Riding the Enertia at night
« on: October 07, 2010, 08:21:10 PM »
Tonight was my first real ride when the sun was completely down. The headlight is plenty bright for riding in the dark. It was very surreal and somewhat spooky as I usually focus my attention to constantly scanning the scenery for potential trouble. I think the white Enertia is a nice color to have while riding at night as it seems fairly reflective. The green lights on the instrument display really stand out well.

There was a huge "cool factor" for me as it seemed like my standard daylight commute was in a whole different place. I am looking forward to my next night ride.

What do other people think of riding the Enertia at night?

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Riding the Enertia at night
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 10:07:36 PM »
Well I don't have an Enertia yet, but I am a daily rider for the last 5 plus years so I do tons of night riding...and I love it so...I do remember the very first time...it was a bit scary at first, but that all melted away as the world was quieter at night, less traffic and air was cooler and the whole world was shrunk down to a small envelope of light extending in front of the bike. It seems a very peaceful time to ride...

Gavin

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2010, 12:54:15 PM »
I regularly ride at night and have a segment of my commute in an unlit area so it can get quite surreal, especially if there's any fog. I find that the high beam isn't particularly useful but have never gotten around to checking how it can be adjusted. The regular headlight works just fine, but if it's been raining I like a little extra notice on the big puddles/flooded areas.

I don't see how the color of the bike would matter at night. It would only be visible from the side profile and there aren't many cases where that would make a difference for an accident.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2010, 05:11:17 PM »
I don't see how the color of the bike would matter at night. It would only be visible from the side profile and there aren't many cases where that would make a difference for an accident.

I consider any added visibility a good thing.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 02:29:27 PM »

I consider any added visibility a good thing.

I agree that added visibility is a good idea.  I've posted this before, but I'm a HUGE fan of the retro-reflective wheel stripes/tape, which can also be added to bodywork and helmets (and tastefully I might add!) to increase your visibility to other drivers at night.  Here's what mine look like...

It's hard to see in the photos, but I've also got a stripe running over my (bright yellow) helmet and a Team Oregon rider's safety sticker on the back which is also retro-reflective.  I'd say that the color of your bike matters less than the color of your helmet considering that's what's on eye level with most car and SUV drivers.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2010, 05:46:16 PM »
That yellow helmet really does stand out and I like the reflective strips.

But you are talking to a guy that has 30 lights on his bicycle.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2010, 08:47:58 AM »
Wow... Kelly.  That's a LOT of lights.

I put the reflective wheel rim tape on my bike - but I think I may pull it off and re-try it.  I didn't order the applicator when I ordered the tape, thought I could eye-ball it, and it's a tad sloppy.  Plus, I didn't have a track stand when I applied it, so I was moving my fingers, moving the bike, etc. 

But when I pull into my garage at night and my headlights hit my bike (parked sideways, in front of my car), it definitely makes a difference.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2010, 12:45:57 PM »
But when I pull into my garage at night and my headlights hit my bike (parked sideways, in front of my car), it definitely makes a difference.

I don't have any problem with the tape as a decorative thing, but if a car is seeing it on the side profile then it's already too late for an accident :) .

A bright helmet hight help from the front profile (somebody pulling out across your path is the biggest concern), although I imagine some sort of blinking light on your head would work even better. :)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:54:52 PM »
They make some helmets with these kinds of lights, but the question is: would you buy one?

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Bishop

• AOL Instant Messenger - brybishop
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2010, 01:40:27 PM »
I just wanted to go on record Brian in saying that I too love the look of the reflector stripes.  I love the Enertia in white, I love the brown seat covers, I like all the experimentation that you guys are putting into the aesthetic.  I think customization is something motorcyclists love by nature, and all these options and directions you are taking the bikes in are positive indications of Brammo's focus.   
Game Changer?  Trite but true.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 02:06:50 PM »

Sorry, Highlander, but I've gotta disagree on this one.  Anytime you enter an intersection, your side profile is visible to traffic coming from the directions perpendicular to your path of travel.  Intersections are where most car/motorcycle accidents occur, and side impacts are very common.  This is why the feds mandate side reflectors at the front and rear of every motorcycle sold in the USA.  I don't have rim tape reflectors on my current ride, but am really considering it, given that I live in the red-light-running capital of the USA, Phoenix.

Brian's comment about high-visibility helmets is a good one, too.  If I recall correctly, the Hurt Report, one of the most comprehensive documents regarding motorcycle safety and accidents, stated that wearing a high-visibility helmet is one of the more effective ways to increase your visibility to other motorists.  I'm thinking about doing something to increase the visibility of my currently all-black Shoei full-face helmet, without making it look like something a juvenile dork would wear (not a fan of the 'tribal art and skulls aesthetic').

eric
aka webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2010, 05:25:31 PM »
Anytime you enter an intersection, your side profile is visible to traffic coming from the directions perpendicular to your path of travel.  Intersections are where most car/motorcycle accidents occur, and side impacts are very common. 

I'm only really considering the cases where the car is stopped perpendicular and the motorcycle doesn't. In a night environment (and here I was more assuming dimly or unlit intersections) if I'm approaching at 25-35 mph there isn't really much time where the side profile is visible and when the driver's decision will have much bearing on the collision. Basically by the time there is any significant amount visible it's already too late.

Rider paranoia will contribute much more to your safety than many passive systems, unless you want to really go overboard. You have to assume that every vehicle on the road can and will pull out in front of you and have your reaction planned at all times.

This is why the feds mandate side reflectors at the front and rear of every motorcycle sold in the USA.

If motorcycle color were deemed to have a signficiant impact it too would be mandated.

I don't have rim tape reflectors on my current ride, but am really considering it, given that I live in the red-light-running capital of the USA, Phoenix.

I say go for it if it makes you feel better or even if you just like the aesthetic.

Brian's comment about high-visibility helmets is a good one, too.  If I recall correctly, the Hurt Report, one of the most comprehensive documents regarding motorcycle safety and accidents, stated that wearing a high-visibility helmet is one of the more effective ways to increase your visibility to other motorists.  I'm thinking about doing something to increase the visibility of my currently all-black Shoei full-face helmet, without making it look like something a juvenile dork would wear (not a fan of the 'tribal art and skulls aesthetic').

Helmet would definitely be more visible and hence a higher percentage change. Maybe go for a Tron styling?

Do you know if the pulsing headlights have any statistics backing up their safety?