Author Topic: Hello from Colorado  (Read 2641 times)

ColoBrammo

• View Profile
Hello from Colorado
« on: July 17, 2010, 01:23:09 AM »
Hi folks, I'm owner of Enertia #000121, in Lafayette, Colorado (near Boulder).  I really thought Brammo would have shipping more bikes than this- really, how many bikes has Brammo shipped????  Maybe the serial number is misleading?

I've been researching and watching the electric two wheel scene for about 10 months now.  In fact, I had put money down on a Vectrix on a Saturday last October, and that Monday the company was bankrupt.  I canceled that purchase and decided to get either a Zero or a Brammo the following Spring summer. 

I'm an Electrical Engineer working for Texas Instruments, and I have a lot of customers that develop various automotive, motor control, and battery operated products. 

I've got about 150 miles on the bike so far.  I have a suburban commuting environment and live about 12 miles from the office on two lane roads having speed limits between 35 and 50 MPH.  I was assuming that 40 miles of range would be sufficient for my commute w/o having to recharge at the office, however, the first time I did this trip I only had 12% battery capacity left when I got home.  That was too close and I was a little disappointed.  My average speed for the trip is ~40 MPH with minimal stopping and starting.  It was very hot (95F outside) for the return trip so perhaps that had something to do with it, and certainly as the BMS adapts to the battery I will likely see better range.

Registering this bike in Colorado costs about $830.  There's state sales tax, county sales tax, RTD tax, ownership tax, road and bridge tax, VIN verification, and probably a few other things I'm forgetting.  I'd forgotten how much is cost to register a new vehicle.  Now you know where my Federal Tax credit will be going...

I think the Enertia is a great first offering.  I have a few criticisms, but please don't misunderstand me, I'm thrilled with the purchase.

First, this bike needs regenerative braking.  This is one thing I think they did very well on the Vectrix.  Vectrix has variable regen that's activated by twisting the throttle up rather than down.  They have a patent on this so that it likely a problem for Brammo, not to mention the fact that the front brake is also on the throttle side (the front brake is on the LEFT side on a Vectrix).  However, I think Brammo could get around this by using a second throttle-like grip on the left side that is twisted to engage regen.  Your left hand isn't doing much else anyway.

Second, to again use the Vectrix as a reference point (despite it's flaws), it has the motor essentially built into the rear wheel and coupled to it with a planetary gear set.  I will be the first to admit that a chain is the most efficient energy transfer mechanism, but as far as maintenance goes, I would rather have a planetary gear set or a belt drive on an electric bike rather than a nasty, gnarly chain.  If you're going to settle for a bike that can only go 40 miles on a charge, you'll likely take the efficiency hit of a belt or a planetary gear and go 39, while avoiding the mess of a chain.

Third, and this became very apparent today, I don't think many women will like this bike.  The female admin at our office is a big time motorcyclist with a variety of machines ranging from Harley's to Kawasaki's.  That family must have 10 bikes.  She could barely stand over the Enertia, though once she got going she loved it.  If you are trying to appeal to the masses who aren't necessarily motorcyclists to begin with, it would probably better to lower the seat.  I would also prefer a more aggressive stance on the bike- My other bike (about to be sold) is a Suzuki SV650, and I much prefer the more forward stance on that bike.

Fourth, (ok, even I'm getting tired of typing now...) having to unlock the seat to plug in the charger is just plain bad ergonomics.  I ended up running a pig tail behind the seat (Tripp Lite P047-002 C19/C14 cord available on Amazon for $15) so I could just plug it in without messing with the seat. 

I would like to know however what else I can plug into the USB pig tail located under the seat....

Lastly, where where where are all the Brammo Accessories????  All you're offering is a $200 seat upgrade.  Huh?  If this is going to be a commuting/errand machine, it needs some cargo capacity.  If you guys are looking to make money, it's in the accessories!  I was personally looking today for some sort of cup holder to carry my soft drink back from Wendy's, but alas there is no cup holder on a Brammo!

Best regards, Steve

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Hello from Colorado
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 06:40:03 AM »
Hi Steve, welcome to the forum. I work for ULVAC and have Enertia #109.

I saw an interview the other day that puts Enertia sales as a couple of hundred. I have seen better reported range when my odometer read 400 miles. When you see 12%, you may really have more battery capacity than what is reported. If you wait a little after you have stopped, you might get bumped up another 10%. I average 20 miles a day with some high speed and hills and still have 30% charge left at the end of the day.

How many miles are on your Enertia?

I have the recharge cord plug sitting just out from under the seat so that I do not need to remove the seat everyday.

I know the USB port under the seat can be used to collect data about your Enertia, but I have not tried to use it for anything else yet.

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 04:16:58 PM »
Hi folks, I'm owner of Enertia #000121, in Lafayette, Colorado (near Boulder).
I'm curious, how did you find your bike #? Was it just the last few digits on the vin?

First, this bike needs regenerative braking.  This is one thing I think they did very well on the Vectrix. 
This post by Brammofan sums up the lack of the regenerative braking feature quite nicely: http://brammofan.wordpress.com/2009/07/22/brammo-enertia-regen/

ColoBrammo

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 12:24:12 AM »
Yes, the last digits of the VIN are the serial #, as far as I know.

I've read the article on regen before, and indeed it makes sense.  I'm quite good about planning ahead a bit and coasting up to a stop sign rather than using excess brakes.  Still, when other folks familiar w/Motorcycles ride my Brammo they miss the engine braking found on gas bikes, and so do I.  While I liked how the Vectrix controlled regen with the throttle, I can see how it would prevent people from properly learning how to brake using both front and rear disks.  Nevertheless, a regen controlled with perhaps a twist grip on the left side might be a good compromise.  As far as it "only" yielding a 10% increase in range, at this point, I would take whatever I could get since I'm only getting about 25-30 miles on a charge (another discussion). 

While it adds some complexity for control, all the hardware for regen is essentially already in place.

I'm happy with the Brammo and glad to have it.  It's a lot of fun and fun to talk about.  I'm hoping my comments are taken as polite feedback so that perhaps future designs might take them into consideration- it's a lot easier to change things while they're still on paper!

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2010, 05:53:30 AM »
I'm hoping my comments are taken as polite feedback so that perhaps future designs might take them into consideration- it's a lot easier to change things while they're still on paper!

Yes, that is exactly how your comments are taken. This is an owner's forum which can provide feedback to Brammo, but also to other owners. I thinks it helps everyone to learn and think about things from different points of view.

My view on regen is that is a nice concept, but I do no not think it is a modification that would  be cost effective right now. Regen adds additional stress to the motor and I like to coast a lot. My opinion on regen for the Enertia could change if I knew there was a successful, real world example.

You could be the first to make this modification to the Enertia and share your information.

I'm happy with the Brammo and glad to have it.  It's a lot of fun and fun to talk about.

This is the same for me.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2010, 09:40:59 PM by Phantom »

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2010, 04:35:39 PM »
I really like the concept of regen and thought I would miss the engine braking, but instead I've learned to really enjoy coasting. I definitely wouldn't want automated regen and would instead want to be able to "throttle" it.

From what I've been hearing regen nets way less than 10% on a motorcycle. The number popping into my head is 3%. That's just too little unless it significantly increases the life of the brake pads.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2010, 09:49:05 PM »
From what I've been hearing regen nets way less than 10% on a motorcycle. The number popping into my head is 3%. That's just too little unless it significantly increases the life of the brake pads.

Yes, I also remember reading that it would be much lower than 10% and it would only add a mile or two in range at best. Even still, it sounds like such a cool idea that someone will eventually do it.

I definitely wouldn't want automated regen and would instead want to be able to "throttle" it.

I agree.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2010, 06:23:00 AM by Phantom »

OM617

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2022, 06:20:25 PM »
Small world, I just picked up #91 from Ft Collins with 463 miles on the odo and 7 cycles on the batteries.

As a side note, its not really "coasting", the motor controller still applies power to the motor to make it "neutral", otherwise the magnetic drag would slow you even without regen capability.