Author Topic: Looking for replacement chain advice.  (Read 700 times)

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Looking for replacement chain advice.
« on: April 29, 2020, 11:53:15 AM »
I'm in need of a replacement chain and wanted to get some opinions.  I'm leaning towards an o-ring or x-ring chain but the options for a 420 pitch with 124 links are very limited.  I really don't want to deal with the hassle of a standard roller chain.

The Enertia manual lists the Dyna Chains DC420MO 124L as an o-ring option but it looks like it's only available from European sellers.  I'm not opposed to paying for the extra shipping to the United States but wonder why Brammo recommended that specific chain. 

The only x-ring chain that I could find is from a manufacuter called Niche, but I'm not familiar with them. 

Any suggestions?

nice

• Enertia Master
  • 2 Enertia's Basic 2012
    • View Profile
    • http://niceemotion.nl/
    • Email
Re: Looking for replacement chain advice.
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2020, 05:32:29 AM »
Swap to 520 chain? With Honda (MTX200) front sprocket or similar, rear sprocket: no fit found yet, still searching.
2x Enertia Basic 2012
1x Mobylette AV50 1971
1x Kreidler 50cc Special 1975
1x Simson Schwalbe KR51/2 1986
Tubbergen, Twente, the Netherlands

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2020, 09:34:33 AM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  I'm surprised that there are any sprockets that are compatible with the Enertia.

At this point I'll probably go with an RK 420 o-ring chain and cut it down to 124 links.  I've read that the master links on the DID chains are difficult to install.

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2020, 01:27:29 PM »
I just ordered an EK 420SRO with 130 links.  This is a standard o-ring chain.  It has 6 more links than the 124 that the Enertia needs but I can shorten it.

I also learned about two low friction u-ring chains from RK called the 420MRU and BL420MRU but I'm having a difficult time finding them online from a U.S. seller.  The RK rep that I emailed said that the BL chain is a new product. 

Personally I feel that either of these would be a better option than an o-ring chain.