Author Topic: Average miles per charge  (Read 583 times)

E-cite

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
Average miles per charge
« on: May 14, 2020, 04:15:01 PM »
So I just experienced the sudden shutdown while doing a range test. 50 miles mostly mixed but some pretty wide open starts and speed runs. At 50 miles it just quit. I shutdown and waited a few seconds then restarted and got within 50 feet of my driveway and it quit again. That was an additional 5 miles. I shutdown and restart got me into the garage.
So the question is - what is the best gear for max battery charge life at 60 mph? Also how far can one go after the resets and restarts? I am assuming you can do several.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Average miles per charge
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 04:33:41 PM »
The best efficiency of the motor is obtained in the middle of the green arc on the tachometer.  This is about 5,500 RPM.  The reason for this thinking is that brushless DC motors have an optimum speed to run at based on the number of poles in the motor and the DC voltage that the battery pack applies to it.  That is one of the reasons the Empulse has a gearbox.  Probably a gear selection that would maintain at or slightly below 5,500 RPM at 60 would be the correct choice.  There is some caveats to this however.  As you drop down to lower gears to maintain the perfect motor RPM at various road speeds, you decrease the efficiency of the balance of the drive system past the motor due to spin losses in the transmission.  I have found in my riding, keeping the motor between the bottom of the green arc (4,500 RPM) and 5,500 RPM seem to get me the best range.  If you are really looking for range, drop your speed down, increase your tire pressure and ride in a full tuck.  :)

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:57:16 AM »
A windscreen will help you get some more miles on the freeway.

What was your state of charge when it shutoff?  I notice mine will suddenly go from say like 15% to 0% right away.  When you think you have a little more it suddenly says you don't.  My bike is the Victory also.

I will get 60 miles range with mixed riding, that's 60 and the bike is dead. 

When you get to about 20% you will want to start looking for a charging station or be close to home. 

Also remember that when the weather is cooler you range will be less as well.   Like less than 70F you will experience lower range.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

E-cite

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2020, 01:53:32 PM »
It read 1% the 0 the died. I was 3 miles from home but turned it off and back on and made it to 100 feet of my garage then did another restart and drove it in. 55 miles and some pretty aggressive sport mode acceleration test so I am guessing taking it easy 65 may be achievable. Looks like perhaps 4th or 5th gear best for 60mph ??

Shinysideup

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2020, 05:54:46 PM »
As stated above, don't peg efficiency on what gear you are in. Rather use whatever gear that puts you in the 4500 to 5500 rpm zone, at whatever speed you choose to travel.

As mentioned above, a windscreen gained me about 10% on range on the highway.

Since, at 41K miles on a 2013 Empulse, my SOC gauge will jump to zero from as much as 50%, I reset my trip meter each time I do a charge. I usually ride mixed riding (surface streets and freeway) and count on 60 miles of range.

Given what I know about lithium batteries (not much!), I'd be wary of forcing the discharge level by repeatedly turning the bike off, waiting, and eking out a few more miles, at least on any kind of frequent basis. Might harm the pack over time.

E-cite

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 09:25:54 PM »
I agree but if it comes to push or eeek I will eeek

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2020, 02:00:54 AM »
I've had to push the Empulse twice when it ran out of juice it's not fun at all =P

But yeah if you want to preserve the life of your battery you shouldn't run it lower than 20%.  Here are some tips from the manual that I'm sure you've read:
- you should cycle (completely discharge and charge) battery pack every three months. I'm assuming you probably don't want to discharge it all the way to like 10 or 15%
- Charge battery modules fully if you motorcycle has been sitting stores for more than a month
- For winter storage keep battery at 50%-70% SOC
- Don't leave battery at zero or near zero SOC, plug in as soon as possible if under 20%
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139