Author Topic: Installed new RK Standard O-Ring chain  (Read 5746 times)

ppc750

• View Profile
Installed new RK Standard O-Ring chain
« on: October 13, 2010, 11:08:12 PM »
Just got finished installing a new RK Standard O-Ring 130 link chain (cut 6 links off) on my Enertia and... Wow what a difference it made... I no longer hear chain noise (just barely) and I can for the first time ever hear the motor running over my chain. It's eerily silent.

I had 2,200 miles on the OEM non O-Ring chain before I decided to replace it. It had to be adjusted twice already which promoted my replacing it. Prior to that I had lubed it probably once every 200 miles with multi purpose teflon wax lubricant.

And of course for the picture. The RK chain came pre lubed, and the lube has a white color to it. I also sprayed it with a coat of the teflon spray before I rode it. Here is a picture of it after I rode it. The bike is dirty... thats what happens when you ride in the rain sometimes and don't wash it :D:

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Installed new RK Standard O-Ring chain
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 12:18:58 AM »
Do you think this chain should come as standard equipment on the Enertia out of the shop?

If so, perhaps someone should drop a line to Brammo.

If nothing else, could be good to have on the 2011 Enertias.

Gavin

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 12:45:19 AM »
I think it's too early to tell if it is better than the OEM chain, but it's definitely quieter. I heard o-ring chains were easier to maintain and keep, and I don't think I have the patience to lube the chain after every ride. The difference in price was like $30 more vs a non o ring chain though.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 01:14:23 PM »
I think it's too early to tell if it is better than the OEM chain, but it's definitely quieter. I heard o-ring chains were easier to maintain and keep, and I don't think I have the patience to lube the chain after every ride. The difference in price was like $30 more vs a non o ring chain though.

It would certainly be nice if it didn't stretch as much as the OEM chain. I'm getting near the end of the adjustment range (approaching 5k miles) and will probably need to replace my chain soon. Having to replace the chain every year and the brake pads more frequently than that does not make me a happy camper.

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 01:36:20 PM »
It would certainly be nice if it didn't stretch as much as the OEM chain.

I think O-Ring chains are supposed to last longer than non O-Ring chains... Unfortunately this chain is pretty much 2x the cost of a non O-Ring chain so in order for this O-Ring chain to be worth it, it would have to last long than twice the life of the non O-Ring chain. I don't mind paying $30 more for a better chain though.

Replacing the chain isn't hard at all.. If you knew what to do, it would take at most 30 minutes. This new chain I got was a clip type masterlink chain and not a rivet one, but then again I got a chain breaking / riveting tool too in case I ever wanted to use a rivet type link.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:18:39 PM »
I don't know a thing about chains and don't know the difference between an O-link and non O-link, but I like the idea of the bike being quieter and requiring less maintenance. yes, this sounds like you should send a note to Brammo about your experience. Consumer feedback is a large part of research and development for any company.

In the photographic and film making world, especially with cameras, most new models are results of user feedback and suggestions.

What brand chain was it, where did you get it and how much was it?

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:34:23 PM »
What brand chain was it, where did you get it and how much was it?

Not sure what the policy here is with linking website, but I got this:

http://www.bikebandit.com/rk-420-so-standard-o-ring-chain

420 O-Ring chains aren't that easy to find apparently this is the only place that has them. I got the 130 link and had to cut it to 124 using a chain breaker.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 05:38:34 PM »
Great, thanks for the info. I'll hold onto this for my future Enertia.

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 07:08:21 PM »
It would certainly be nice if it didn't stretch as much as the OEM chain.
I think O-Ring chains are supposed to last longer than non O-Ring chains... Unfortunately this chain is pretty much 2x the cost of a non O-Ring chain so in order for this O-Ring chain to be worth it, it would have to last long than twice the life of the non O-Ring chain. I don't mind paying $30 more for a better chain though.

I wonder what their limited warranty covers. If I could get 20k miles out of a chain I'd feel a lot better as that's 4x what I'm looking at for the OEM chain.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »
I wonder if they make that size o-ring chain in gold...the gold looks nice and it is easy to see if the chain needs cleaning.

Gavin

And yes please let brammo now...a chain that is quieter, lasts longer and needs less maintenance = good

:)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 11:38:22 PM »
Would this work?
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/1087/PU/RK420MXZ126/126_Links

Comes in 124 and gold and only 30 bucks

Gavin

ppc750

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2010, 12:48:55 AM »
Would this work?
http://www.oemcycle.com/Item/product/1087/PU/RK420MXZ126/126_Links

Comes in 124 and gold and only 30 bucks

Gavin

That's not a O-Ring chain, but it should work.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2010, 02:20:27 AM by ppc750 »

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2010, 09:22:30 AM »
We hear you loud and clear.  I've been running an X-ring chain on my personal bike for the past 2,000 miles or so and agree with the main benefits being:

- Lower maintenance - i.e. less frequent lubrication
- Less chain stretch

I'm not sure about lower noise comment though as it sounds about the same, maybe slightly louder to me with a little more drag noticeable in the drivetrain during coasting (one of the reasons we avoided these type chains initially).

We've also done a test on our standard chain cleaned and lubricated every 200 miles with gear oil and the result is that it also stretches less.  The problem is that the lubrication process is a pain in the @ss and the chain flings oil all over the bike (and you).  I know it seems like a no-brainer, but there is a significant cost difference here, so we just need to be sure there's a real measure-able difference after 1,000s of miles of usage.  We're just concluding these tests now, and it does look positive for the o-ring chain.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2010, 09:02:41 AM »
We hear you loud and clear.  I've been running an X-ring chain on my personal bike for the past 2,000 miles or so and agree with the main benefits being:

- Lower maintenance - i.e. less frequent lubrication
- Less chain stretch

I'm not sure about lower noise comment though as it sounds about the same, maybe slightly louder to me with a little more drag noticeable in the drivetrain during coasting (one of the reasons we avoided these type chains initially).

We've also done a test on our standard chain cleaned and lubricated every 200 miles with gear oil and the result is that it also stretches less.  The problem is that the lubrication process is a pain in the @ss and the chain flings oil all over the bike (and you).  I know it seems like a no-brainer, but there is a significant cost difference here, so we just need to be sure there's a real measure-able difference after 1,000s of miles of usage.  We're just concluding these tests now, and it does look positive for the o-ring chain.

It's very good to hear that Brammo is looking at the chains with an eye towards improvement, and how. Detail like this is very much appreciated vs the rote "we're looking into it". I can't speak to current customers, but as a prospective customer this gives me a lot of faith in Brammo.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2010, 05:58:37 PM »
It is indeed very cool that the Brammo people are monitoring user comments and already looking at these types of issues and possible improvements. They seem to know that successful companies need to always be looking for ways to improve their product and listen to consumer feedback.

This is just one more example.