Author Topic: Installed new RK Standard O-Ring chain  (Read 5754 times)

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Installed new RK Standard O-Ring chain
« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2010, 05:51:29 PM »
Having ridden over 100k miles, and replaced a few chains over the years, I can definitely say that o-ring chains last longer (at least on ICE-bikes).  They do impart a bit of rolling resistance, as evidenced by brammobrian's comments.

A good o-ring chain, IF CLEANED AND LUBED CORRECTLY, and as often as they're supposed to be, will easily last 15-20,000 miles.  If they aren't, they can go bad in as few as 5,000 miles.  Remember, ALWAYS replace the chain and sprockets as a set.  If you don't, you'll see significant reduction in chain life, as the worn teeth on your sprockets rapidly wear out the new chain.

thus ends my soapbox moment...  :)

the webman
aka eric
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2010, 02:01:25 PM »
A good shop will tell you if the sprocket is getting worn (significantly). It sounds pretty expensive to replace 2 sprockets every time you replace a chain, especially if the chain is being replaced due to stretch, not wear.

Here's what Brammo recommended to me: EK-420-SRO-O-Ring

My OEM chain had definitely stretched past the maximum recommended adjustment (after approx 5k miles). I replaced it with the EK O Ring last week and things are going well. I'm not noticing any noticeable change in range so would infer that the change in drag is not significant.

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2011, 02:52:17 PM »
Hey Brian can you give me the specs of the x-chain you have so I can try it, RK Race Chain failed me and I want to try the Regina chain but X sounds better then O lol

We hear you loud and clear.  I've been running an X-ring chain on my personal bike for the past 2,000 miles or so and agree with the main benefits being:

- Lower maintenance - i.e. less frequent lubrication
- Less chain stretch

I'm not sure about lower noise comment though as it sounds about the same, maybe slightly louder to me with a little more drag noticeable in the drivetrain during coasting (one of the reasons we avoided these type chains initially).

We've also done a test on our standard chain cleaned and lubricated every 200 miles with gear oil and the result is that it also stretches less.  The problem is that the lubrication process is a pain in the @ss and the chain flings oil all over the bike (and you).  I know it seems like a no-brainer, but there is a significant cost difference here, so we just need to be sure there's a real measure-able difference after 1,000s of miles of usage.  We're just concluding these tests now, and it does look positive for the o-ring chain.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2011, 05:59:21 AM »
Might be a while before he replies - he's on his honeymoon.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2011, 10:46:59 AM »

well congrats to him....i hope he has a great time on his honeymoon...i also hope his honeymoon is in Hungary so he can keep an eye on and speed up the production of my Plus :)

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2011, 11:06:54 AM »
Actually, Cancun.  ;D
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2011, 12:09:54 PM »
mmm, hopefully he can do some snorkeling at Xel-Ha...lovely

and Tulum is a most see...

Gavin

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2011, 01:38:47 PM »

well congrats to him....i hope he has a great time on his honeymoon...i also hope his honeymoon is in Hungary so he can keep an eye on and speed up the production of my Plus :)

Gavin
Haha, Gavin - always thinking about 'his' bike :P
Congratulations Brian, hope you come back with your batteries recharged ;)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2011, 01:57:18 PM »

Gavin
Haha, Gavin - always thinking about 'his' bike :P
Congratulations Brian, hope you come back with your batteries recharged ;)

yes it is kinda my "sstick" now....

funny I almost mentioned Mexico as a second option after Hungary...I figure he could be in Hungary working on my bike or in Mexico scouting out a location for North and South American Brammo bike production...Mexico would be cheap, close to three vast markets (US/Canada, Central America and South America--especially Brazil).

USA built bikes would be best, but helping our neighbor to the south with jobs isn't the worst thing that Brammo could do...and would keep costs down a bit.

Gavin