Author Topic: Dash showing 0% state of charge, but still rides fine  (Read 604 times)

SEABrammo

• View Profile
Dash showing 0% state of charge, but still rides fine
« on: July 26, 2020, 10:17:12 PM »
My 2013 Empulse is showing her age again. The problem this time has to do with detecting the state of charge. The bike shows a 0% charge (B3 recharge error), but works fine. I take it out on short rides and it clearly has a full tank of juice, but the dash reads it as empty with blinking lights and all. I've charged it up a few cycles now. The only time it shows a full charge now is when i charge it up full, remove the plug, and then plug it immediately back in; It'll briefly show an empty battery and then jump back to 100%, as if it sensed it didn't need to draw any more power and thusly readjusted the reading. When I remove the plug and turn it on again, though, it goes back to showing an empty battery.

The bike moves, so it's obviously a software error. Still, it's not great to ride around without knowing what my actual state of charge is or when it might give out. Is there a method of recalibration or sensor reset I can do? I've done enough work on it myself to be familiar with the manuals and wiring but not software problems.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Dash showing 0% state of charge, but still rides fine
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2020, 03:53:04 AM »
One thing you can probably do is add a volt meter to your bike and tap into the battery.  Kind of like the DROK battery monitor:
https://www.amazon.com/DROK-Programmable-Temperature-Percentage-Indicator/dp/B07759SLYP

I don't think the DROK will work though because it has a max operating voltage of 100volts and I think the Empulse is like 105volts so you'd have to find a meter that can read that.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

SEABrammo

• View Profile
Re: Dash showing 0% state of charge, but still rides fine
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 03:21:49 PM »
Welp, new symptoms. Left it off the charger overnight. Woke up and plugged it in, stopped pulling charge altogether, which was worrying. Left it alone for a bit: came back to see it at 1% charge and SYSTEM ERROR B55 across the dash, which means it recognizes that there's a SOC mismatch. The manual says service required, but... lol

Will update with any significant changes. Researching what to do about the system fault for now.