Author Topic: Brammo Empulse battery  (Read 9371 times)

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Re: Brammo Empulse battery
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2010, 04:02:48 PM »
Proto,
This was good input for me as well as I will have a 74 mile round trip commute to make on my Empulse 10. when I get it. The trip will be on the highway 37 miles each way at around 65 MPH. I figure I will get around 50 miles range on the 10.o under these conditions so I will have to charge at the end of the first leg. I'm figuring one hour charge time roughly to get me home in a nearly drained SOC.

Before I make the full round trip I will have to take some data off the bike on kwh usage. I'll probably just go out on the highway and run 65 for a set distance to get kwh/mile numbers at 65 MPH then estimate how much charge I will need when I make the full trip.

Anyway, could you please tell us how we access the data off the bikes data logger/computer?

Thx-GSB

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #16 on: November 08, 2010, 12:15:05 AM »
GeorgeS,

Enertia 3.1 gets about 20-25 miles @ 55-60 mph, I would guess Empulse 10.0 would get around 65-70 miles @ 65 mph. That's still well under your desired range and cushion, so yes you'll need to charge for some time at your destination - probably 2+ hours on 110v.

If you can find a backroads route for the commute, you might be able to do the entire thing without recharging in the middle - maybe 40-45 mph.

For purposes of calculating range / charge, it's probably sufficient to run one leg or portion of a leg of the trip. If it's like the Enertia, the dash should display windowed power draw and remaining energy capacity - see p18 in the owner's manual (pdf).  Figure out how much cushion you need to return back - the Empulse should charge about 800w off of a 110v outlet, or approx 6 miles/hour.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2010, 08:28:47 PM »
GeorgeS,

If you can find a backroads route for the commute, you might be able to do the entire thing without recharging in the middle - maybe 40-45 mph.

No way, 65 is the min, 75 is more like it w/ a blast past some a them Harleys!!! Can you imagine an off the line race. LOL!!!