Author Topic: Calender Life battery  (Read 1926 times)

Drokz

• View Profile
Re: Calender Life battery
« Reply #15 on: January 22, 2021, 02:05:08 PM »
wow, i think not so good for the battery... :P

So, I have a DIY powerwall (18kwh) at home, and want to charge through it,
but my inverter can only do 2000watt, so I am looking for a type 1 j1772 8a charger.
Does anyone have experience with that ? is it certain that the brammo will accept the charge?

electric 2 wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2021, 01:28:02 AM »
Drokz

I think the bike only draws about 1400 watts on 110 volts or is your power wall inverter supplying 220 v? If that is the case then it draws 3000 watts. You did mention a type 1 EVSE so I assumed you were using 110 v ac.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2021, 06:50:54 AM »
Hi, I live in UK and charge my Empulse with the evse off my car, shows 17A on the dash (it's a 2.2kW unit @230v). If I use the 16A wall charger I have the bike can show 28A near full charge.
One curious thing I have seen though. I plug it it and apparently nothing happens. It says charging but 0A. However I placed a power meter in the line and the bike is taking 440W. Took 25mins, then charging. Temp here is only a few degrees above freezing so I guess the cells need to warm up hoping that goes away in warmer weather.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

electric 2 wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2021, 01:45:11 PM »
I think what you are seeing is the battery heaters which draw about 300 watts. If the temp is less than about 60F they will come on, even when you are riding. You should be getting a warning on the dash that says something like batteries too cold. This is normal opperation. Lithium cells should not be charged at less than about 40F so the bike is protecting the cells. Be happy you have battery heaters built into the bike. In cold weather it is good to plug in for 20 minutes or so even if you don't need more charge just to warm the cells up to minimise voltage sag.  also, if you just hop on and go when it's cold the heaters come on running off the batteries and draw 300 watts trying to warm the batteries and you will get a power cut back until the cells have warmed up.

Drokz

• View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2021, 02:07:35 PM »
Iam from belgium so its here 230V

the charger says 230V 15ampere so 3450watt

electric 2 wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2021, 04:04:40 AM »
You could use a portable charger set to the proper voltage which is 116.2 volts. I tapped into the battery terminals and have an Anderson connector on the right side near the brake reservoir. I can use any size charger I want. You will be hooking directly to the batt plus and minus so there will be battery voltage on the Anderson connector so keep it covered when not in use. I hooked the wires to the negative of the most negative cell and the plus wire to the fuse on the battery side of the contactor. You will need to have the bike turned on or the key in the park light position in order for the percentage gauge to count up the amps going in. It will also work when charging normally with 230v ac. The green leds on the battery modules need to be flashing indicating that they have power. I believe the balancers in the individual modules will function but not the main unit. This is not a problem if you charge normally once in a while. Keep an eye on the high and low cell reading on the dash. I use the connection to connect extra batteries also or to add chargers for faster charge times when I'm on long trips.
Hope this helps

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2021, 10:12:49 AM »
Hi, thanks for the info. It'll be a while, 6 weeks or so before a journey with no heaters zapping the range as still cold here.
I might try to connect an Anderson connector in, I have a 3kW charger and connector left over from the zero SR I briefly owned.  Same voltages. Can you use onboard and auxiliary at the same time?  Would help longer journeys. I'll look for the locations you describe.
I have the EU clipper creek evse also but believe the bike will only take 2850W. Max. UK car evse are only 10A, so close to your 2000w limit..
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2021, 11:07:15 AM »
Wouldn't you just know it, I now have the clipper creek manual and a 8A unit is available putting out 1.8kW. ECS-10. Not sure how easy it would be to obtain one or the cost.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

electric 2 wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2021, 12:25:55 PM »
Yes, you can use the onboard charger and the portable charger at the same time and the extra amps will show on the instrument screen as normal. I replaced the 16 amp J1772 port with a 32 amp one and ran a 2.5mm2 cable to a plug near the Anderson plug so when I'm charging at a public charging station I plug in the bike and then I have 220v to plug in the extra charger up to 3000 watts. The public chargers here in the US are mostly 6.6 KW or more so I can charge at 6K