Author Topic: 2014 Brammo Empulse R not taking a charge  (Read 7544 times)

invoke performance

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: 2014 Brammo Empulse R not taking a charge
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2021, 09:37:28 AM »
I tried the reset Jumper procedure on the number 7 and no luck  :'(  the led light is still solid green and the B40 error is still present.

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2021, 05:14:29 PM »
First, it is necessary to analyze the current data from the flash drive and find out whether other errors B are still present.
If no error disappeared after cleaning the corrosion, most likely some electronic component on the PCB is damaged.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2021, 05:19:23 PM by KaFr »
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

Dietmar

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2022, 09:45:39 PM »
Hi everyone !

sorry I missed some messages on the charging issues thread since I lost interest in fixing the Empulse due to no parts and help in my area (Hongkong)

However I had some minor Victory - fixing the charging with a hack.

Anyone wants details please contact me directly

+85290400620 whattsapp

or email
holzhammer@hotmail.com

If anyone comes accross this thread with major rebuild knowledge on the Empulse please contact me too.

might relocate the bikes to Austria for the rebuild - anyone nearby in Europe who wants to join my project or willing to share knowledge please contact me.

just bought a second (dead) Empulse and plan to rebuild both with new batteries, BMS, fast charging capability (and convert to quadrocopters )

have a total of 12 empulse battery modules on hand to sell or trade - all in working condition - however they are located in hongkong - shipping might be tricky and expensive (possible though - my friend shipped recently)

I also inherited an original Brammo diagnostics Pad - so I can check the batteries with the diagnostics software.

Best wishes and don t cook your bikes

Dietmar

Leander

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #48 on: July 13, 2022, 08:55:48 AM »
that's good news Dietmar,

which cells are you going to rebuild with?

JaredMonkey

• View Profile
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2023, 01:17:30 PM »
I built a charger using two of the following 54.6V chargers connected in series. The doubled voltage generated was enough to charge all 7 modules at the same time. Connected to the Negative terminal under the seat and Positive terminal next to the motor controller/contactor. An Electrical Genius on the Forum, suggested this to me and it worked in my case.

Safest 54.6V 2A Charger Lithium Ion Battery For Electric Scooter Bicycle E-bike (EBAY)

CyberG

Where did you connect this charger you made? Is the terminal under the orange battery terminal cover? Where is the motor controller?

How

cybergodzilla

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: June 05, 2023, 03:27:28 PM »
Find the 2013-2014 Service Manual. (BRAMMO-EMPULSE_service-manual)
The manual might be helpful under remove controller or whatever it says. Don't try to charge individual modules you will only cause cell imbalance and get error codes. Those error codes you have are related to the BMS. The codes are in you owners manual. You have to charge the whole pack together just like the onboard charger does.
Take off the front plastic cover and disconnect the big blue connector to disable the battery for safety. Take off the bottom cover and you will see the controller but it blocks access to the positive terminal so you have to drop it down. Look at how it is attached and remove any screws that are holding it to the bike. Don't disconnect any wires or cooling hoses. You just need to get it low enough to get the top plastic cover off so you can hook you chargers up. Service Manual 90-5 (Picture 11 With Red arrow)
The battery modules are arranged so the most negative terminal is towards the back of the bike on the upper row, probably the one you charged. (Service Manual  20-1 Battery #1)
The most positive terminal will be on the rearmost module in the lower row. The big blue disconnect just hooks them together. The positive battery cable might connect to a flat metal bar. You should be able to see the positive battery cable going up to the rearmost lower battery module. Plug the blue disconnect together and avoid touching any connection. Check the voltage between the negative terminal under the seat and the battery side of the contactor.
Your charger, plug them in and check them with your volt meter to confirm proper polarity. If you hook them up backwards you will fry the chargers.
Hook the negative of you chargers to the negative pack terminal and the positive to the battery side of the contactor and plug it in. The lights on the chargers should be red to tell you that they are charging. When the voltage gets to 100 try turning on the bike.
CyberG
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 03:36:14 PM by cybergodzilla »
2014 Empulse =D
2014 CBR650F B-)
2014 CFR250L =O