Author Topic: GM's new battery design  (Read 437 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
GM's new battery design
« on: November 20, 2020, 01:46:22 PM »
An article in my newspaper today, written by Tom Krisher and published by the AP, says that GM has announced a breakthrough in battery chemistry. It will potential double the capacity of their batteries and cut the price by 60%. This could give their EV Bolt a range of up to 450 miles and should be available within 5 years.

"The new battery cell chemistry now undergoing early tests at a lab inside GM's suburban Detroit technical center, can hold twice as much energy as the company's current electric vehicle batteries" and will "also cost 60% less than current battery packs now in the GM Chevrolet Bolt", according to Doug Parks, GM executive VP of product development.

"The chemistry, which will use lithium metal anodes, will help GM package battery cells for a wide range of vehicles at different price points and ranges, Parks said. The new battery cells also will be used by Honda, which is partnering with GM and battery cell supplier LG Chem of Korea."

"He said GM will build its own batteries to take advantage of economies of scale as more electric vehicles are sold. 'We'll learn it. We'll perfect it. We'll scale it and we'll ride that cost curve down', Parks said."

So don't expect to see these batteries being sold to individuals any time soon.  :(

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Ultratoad

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: GM's new battery design
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2020, 10:04:32 PM »
Always nice to hear about an American auto manufacturer doing something of note...  I just shake my head when I drive down the road and see nothing but foreign made vehicles....  Ford guy until they don't make them anymore....