Author Topic: Ability to change the programming to increase top speed?  (Read 6817 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Ability to change the programming to increase top speed?
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:29:07 AM »
I wouldn't mind a decrease in the range if I can increase the top speed to 70 mph or so.

Is this possible? Seems like it could be done with some programming changes, but maybe there are actual limits to the motor?

Thanks
Gavin

off to put in a pre order.

:)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ability to change the programming to increase top speed?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 09:45:34 AM »
Good luck with that... I keep on looking for the cheat code to increase the initial torque curve.  No wheelies for me.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 09:54:05 AM »
The older valence batteries had a max 30s discharge of 120a, at 76.8v that's 9kw.

I think the Enertia uses the Perm 150 motor (pdf link). That motor is rated at 13.5kw @ 4500 rpm continuous, so the motor can handle additional power.

Now that capacity is doubled, continuous power from the batteries should close to double as well. If you change the sprocket on the rear wheel, I would expect the Enertia Plus to cruise at 70-75 without any difficulties. Acceleration will be a bit slower than stock. The enertia's speedometer will also be incorrect unless you can find a way to reprogram it to compensate for the new sprocket.

Here's a pretty good article discussing changing rear sprockets:
http://www.webbikeworld.com/t2/motorcycle-chain-sprocket/
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2010, 10:18:59 AM »
It just seems to me that if the Empulse can go over 100 with the 6kWh battery and have a top range of 60 miles, then it seems the Enertia plus could go 70-75 mph with the same battery. I know the motor and gearing will affect all that, but i'm not trying to go 100 (i have other rides for that :) ) I am just trying to go 10 mph faster than the standard Enertia...

After all, it is called the Enertia PLUS :)

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2010, 10:28:46 AM »
It would be nice if Brammo offered a choice of gearing. This is not uncommon in the car world (mustangs are offered with 2.73 - 3.73 gearing) or in the e-bike world (native s offers multiple gear choices I think).
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:30:40 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2010, 10:36:43 AM »
It would be nice if Brammo offered a choice of gearing. This is not uncommon in the car world (mustangs are offered with 2.73 - 3.73 gearing) or in the e-bike world (native s offers multiple gear choices I think).

+1.

I would be happy to lose just a bit of take off speed for cruising at 70 ability. I did that with my 150cc 2 stroke and still have plenty of take off for the city and can go top end much easier. A slightly modded gearing on the Plus will still take any car off the line unless the car is trying to race you.

I will use the Plus much more in the city, but the few time I do highway it, I would like the higher top end. Not worried about the city part as it is easy to beat cars out of red lights...cars are big and heavy and drivers are distracted and tend not to be fast off the line...motorcycle/scooter riders are much more focused from light to light...we have to be to survive :)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2010, 08:28:51 PM »
So maybe I can ask Brammo directly....

Is there a software change to get the Enertia Plus from 60+ to 70+, or would we have to change the rear sprocket?

And if we have to change the rear sprocket, is there a way to adjust the speedo?

Again, not looking to go 100 like the Empulse, just want enough speed to hit the highways for small sections...60 would work, 70 would actually be safer.

Thanks

Gavin

(PM works too if...:) )

« Last Edit: October 24, 2010, 08:32:11 PM by Gavin »

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2010, 01:45:18 PM »
I would assume that it would require a sprocket change which would also require a software change so that it would be multiplying the motor RPM correctly to get road speed. As the Enertia gets toward 70mph the acceleration drops signfiicantly (kinda reminds me of a Suzuki Samurai "car" that I drove for a while). I think what I'm seeing there is that it's getting closer to the RPM limit of the motor...I'm told electrics "power" drops off as you approach that limit.

In addition for the GRPS and the Zero I was specifically told that you needed to change sprockets for higher speed.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2010, 01:59:51 PM »
There was a former user on this forum that changed the rear sprocket.  As a matter of background, it is possible that his actual mechanical abilities were somewhat lower than his opinion of those abilities, but he had some issues following the sprocket change.  In addition, if memory serves me correct, the bike had been mistreated by the original owner.  I don't know if the problems he encountered from the change were a factor in subsequent problems he had with the bike, but it's possible.  He had chain issues, incorrect speedometer issues, strange acceleration quirks, and a general squeaky-wheel problem that was solved when he was banned from association with this forum.

A lesson I learned was that Brammo engineered every part of the Enertia to work well with every other part.  Change those parts at your peril.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2010, 02:22:30 PM »
Oh I agree...which is why I hope Brammo offers this either with a software patch or sprocket change at their end...

Of course I have change many parts on my 2 stroke and a few parts on my MP3-500.
all, knock wood, without issue...but then modding 2 strokes has a long history.

Gavin

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2010, 03:45:32 PM »
Having seen posts from that user both here and elsewhere I would take anything from him with a grain of salt. That being said Brammo did a very good job of keeping him (a second-hand owner) supported (free of charge).

Brammo isn't very big and so far I haven't seen cases where they haven't tried to put the customers first. I'm sure the service tech would be able to recalibrate the speedo. I'm sure if you contacted them with questions about changing the rear sprocket they would be able to provide some information.

After thinking about your plan I'm not sure you'd want the Enertia to be much slower off the line, which may mean you don't have a heck of a lot of options in changing top speed. The stock already does the 60mph you've asked for and I have had mine to 70mph and I'm not a little guy (and wasn't tucking).

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2010, 05:15:54 PM »
A top speed of 70 would be grand....

What I need is to get to 65 and be able to hold it there for 10 miles or more. If the stock Enertia Plus can do that (I'm 6 foot and 185 pounds), then I'm fine. But I have found that most bikes ride much better when not straining to go WOT at top speed for miles on end...Perhaps electrics are different?

As an owner of a 150cc 2 stroke with a top speed of just over 60, well I know the need for just 5 miles per hour more... of course I think you always say that when you have a bike :)

But the highest speed limit here through town (and the two interstates are major travel roads for locals) is 65 mph. Outside of the city they change to 75 mph. Now I know the Enertia Plus is a city commuter, but our city roads are often highways out here. So while 60 plus is fine, 65 plus is better and 70 plus is best.

That said, hey maybe I just never take the Enertia Plus when I have to do any travel on highways...which is fine since I have my 500cc scooter and will be keeping it...but I would LOVE to ride the Enertia Plus for all my local travel and save my big ride for out of town trips. Using as little gas for travel and instead using my solar panels for as much travel as possible, that is what I'm shooting for.

Gavin

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2010, 02:11:26 AM »
Good luck with that... I keep on looking for the cheat code to increase the initial torque curve.  No wheelies for me.

Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A Start

This cheat code gives me invincibility on my Ducati. Its the code I used before I low-sided it though so use with caution...

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:32 AM »
(↑, ↑, ↓, ↓, ←, →, ←, →, B, A)  yeah....so the konami code works for the Brammo powercycles....cool

:)

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #14 on: November 12, 2010, 03:11:46 PM »
Maybe it doesn't need a re-programming...

The Enertia has a Battery Pack Voltage of 76.8V. The Enertia Plus has a Battery Pack Voltage of 88.8V. Now if the Enertia has a top speed of 60+mph, what is the top speed for the Enertia Plus? My calculations would be 69+ mph. Which would be sweet :) (using factor of .78125)

Of course: A) my calcs could be crap. B) the top speed could be regulated and controlled to be 60ish no matter what.

But it seems likely and hopeful that the Plus will have the "out of the box" ability to go 70 mph...which is exactly what I wanted.

Now in 5 years I would like the Enertia Mega to go 90mph and have a range of 150 miles, but for now 70mph will do :)

Gavin

Can I buy one yet??