Author Topic: Recent test drive of the Volkswagen ID.4.  (Read 553 times)

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Recent test drive of the Volkswagen ID.4.
« on: April 03, 2021, 10:17:20 AM »
I was fortunate enough to have had the opportunity to test drive the VW ID.4 a few days ago and wanted to share my impressions.  Overall I really liked the vehicle.  It was roomy and comfortable.  Visibility was mostly good, but the rear window is a bit on the small side.  The quality of interior materials was good with clever touches like having removable and reconfigurable cup holders and storage dividers in the center console. 

As for the driving experience, ride quality was good for an SUV.  Acceleration was more than adequate (no surprise for an EV) and the ID.4 felt solid and substantial.

One of the things that I didn't care for was the lack of a frunk.  Also, the user interface and software were far from great.  The look and feel of the menus seemed dated with icons that reminded me of a $50 tablet.  I also didn't like the fact that there was little if any information to indicate how efficiently you were driving, or any tools to aid in getting maximum range.  Even the regen/acceleration indicator is nothing more than a tiny horizontal bar at the bottom of the display above the steering column.  I asked the salesperson about these things and was told that there wasn't anything available in the software beyond the SoC, miles per kWh and range remaining. 

I would rate the level of EV knowledge at the dealership at a 6 out of 10.  The salespeople that we worked with were very enthusiastic about the product and tried to answer all of our questions.  When our main salesperson was unsure about certain features of the vehicle, he looked to his "EV expert" for guidance.  Unfortunately she only knew slightly more than he did.  I feel that VW needs to put more focus on educating their dealerships. 

I give Volkswagen a lot of credit for bringing this vehicle to the market and making a real effort to promote and sell it.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recent test drive of the Volkswagen ID.4.
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2021, 03:13:50 PM »
I got to drive the ID4 and Model Y back to back.  They were both great.  The ID4 didn't feel fast but when you looked down at the speedometer it was moving.  It surprisingly nimble for a large vehicle also the turning radius was really good.  The ride quality was better than the Model Y.  The Model Y was a little noisier ride but man it had a LOT of power!  I like the interior better on the ID4 because it has actual buttons.  I made a vlog video of my test driving experience after I drove all of them I also drove a Rav4 Hybrid the day before.  I'm actually planning on getting a Rav4 Prime this year if I can find one that is not marked up and I can get a grant for trading in my old vehicle. 
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2021, 06:43:35 PM »
You're really lucky to have access to both the ID.4 and Model Y.  I would have to travel quite a distance to see any Tesla.  It would be really interesting to be able to drive both vehicles in the same day.  I'm also looking forward to driving the Mach E and Ariya when they're available in my area.  I have a feeling that it may be awhile. 

I agree about the acceleration of the ID.4.  I also drove the Chevy Bolt, which also has a 200 hp electric motor, but it didn't seem to have nearly as much power as the VW.  The ID.4 also had a very familiar VW feel to it.

Thanks for making the videos.  I'll definitely check them out.

If you don't mind me asking, why are you considering a plug in hybrid over a BEV? 

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 06:05:08 AM »
Cheaper cost and Toyota reliability.  I already own a Prius and know it's very reliable.  I am not crazy about having an internal combustion engine with a catalytic converter.  The cat got stolen on my Prius last year it's sucks if you live in California.  If there's no ICE there's not cat.  But the Prime is cheaper than the ID4 and Model Y with AWD.  The Rav4 is the most offroad capable of the bunch also in my opinion.  I have a 1991 Toyota Previa minivan and a 2006 Toyota Prius and I'm trying to combine both vehicles.  The Rav4 has more room than the Prius, same gas mileage, and it's a plugin hybrid.  It has more towing capacity than the Pruis the Prius is not rated to tow anything.  The Rav4 Prime also has boatloads more power than the Previa and Prius which is one thing I need when towing.  302 HP!  The only downside to the Rav4 is it is larger than the prius but it's smaller than my van, so it's not an ideal camping vehicle.

Also I am trying to get a grant through California Clean Cars For All program in the bay area.  They will give me $9500 grant if I trade in my Previa.  Plus there is the tax credits, and California Rebate.  So that's how I can afford it.  The ID4 and Model Y I think cost too much to get the grant unfortunately. 

Thing is though it's very hard to get a Prime right now, I just went to the Toyota dealer today and they had like 4 hybrids no primes.  If you do find one it's is marked up a lot like $50k to $60k.  That's ridiculous I would just get the Tesla then.  So the ID4 is still an option if I can get it for the MSRP.  The Tesla is out of the price range.  Then there's the Ariya but I haven't seen it yet, suppose to come out later this year.  One thing that puts me off about these all electric SUVs is that they don't have AWD standard and the Rav4 does.  I really need the AWD because I go offroading/dirtbiking and I my van stuck sometimes.  Plus the roads are so bad here, I drove the Rav4 Hybrid and man it was so comfy compared to the Prius.  I'm so ready for an SUV.   But yeah it's the Toyota reliability.  I've heard a lot of problems with the Teslas.  I watched a lot of Rich Rebuilds videos and it pretty much persuaded me not to go Tesla.

Another reason is I've got a solar garage project going on with it's main focus on charging my electric motorcycles, well only one electric motorcycle now.  The battery on the Rav4 Prime isn't that big so I could probably charge it up with this system mostly.  I think it's 18kwh pack.  My battery bank is about 6kwh so I can mostly charge it if it's depleted and if it's not probably just enough to top it off.  These BEVs have enormous batteries that would take days to charge at level 1.  Plus if I run out of power I still have the ICE, I heard the Prime's range is like 600 miles when the battery and tank are full.

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2021, 11:39:03 AM »
Sorry to hear about your catalytic converter.  That really sucks.  I understand your point about the Toyota reliability.  Just added a Gen 3 Prius to the fleet. We're also planning on buying an EV but need an ICE vehicle for the winter range.  Considering a Chevy Bolt but waiting to see what happens with the 2022 refresh model this summer and the possible return of the federal tax credit for GM and Tesla.

The AWD is definitely a valid concern.  Rear wheel drive in an EV probably provides better traction than in an ICE vehicle but still not great from what I've read.  Towing is also a weak point with EVs.  As you know it kills your range. 

I'm envious of all of the incentives that you have available in California.  Not only are there no state incentives here, but there's a $100 annual fee for electric vehicles, and a $75 fee for hybrids.

I wonder if the current ID.4s and Mach Es are going to hold their value as well as the Model 3 did when it was eligible for the full $7500 tax credit.

Good luck with your solar project.  We installed our own system too and absolutely love it.  Here's a video that I recommend watching.  It was a great resource.  I was able to talk to the creator at an Energy Fair.  Great guy.

I hope that you're able to find a Prime for a reasonable price. Good luck with your search.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2021, 04:48:18 PM »
My recollection is that California was also going to hit EVs with a $100 yearly registration fee on top of the usual ICE fee. Fortunately, my Zero hasn't seen this development so far.  :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 04:57:12 PM »
Yeah California will find a way to take your money one way or another.  I remember for the longest time Prius didn't have to be smog tested in California and now they do.  Well when smog check was not required for hybrids they had what was called a SMOG ABATEMENT fee.  So since you aren't doing the smog tests they are going to take the money you saved because you are doing something great for the environment by driving a cleaner air vehicle and punishing you with a fee/tax.  It's ridiculous California!

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2021, 03:50:31 PM »
Check it out been following Tanner Foust and they completed the NORA Mexican 1000 rally race with a basically stock ID4!  Now that's pretty impressive.  No better way to test your product out than through racing!  Tanner Foust was the driver and Rhys Millen prepped the car.

https://www.autoweek.com/news/green-cars/a36279431/volkswagens-id4-racer-survives-baja/

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2021, 05:36:18 PM »