Author Topic: D4 Error code. (SOLVED)  (Read 1744 times)

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
D4 Error code. (SOLVED)
« on: April 06, 2021, 03:18:32 PM »
Hello everyone.  Went to ride the Enertia today and have a D4 error code.  The description is something with the DMC not communicating.  Bike won't move unfortunately.  Any suggestions?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:12:41 PM by sunchaser »

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: D4 Error code. Please help.
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 05:14:41 PM »
I removed the body panels and disconnected the blue high voltage connector under the "tank" before touching any of the other wiring on the bike.  After looking around I noticed that one of the nuts on the motor controller was missing (found it rolling around loose in the lower fairing) on the rear (bottom) of the motor controller.  I also found that one of the other nuts was quite loose.  After replacing the missing nut and washer and tightening the other nuts I tried to start the bike again.  Unfortunately I'm still getting the D4 error.  Even though the loose/missing nuts may not have been the problem, I highly recommend that all Enertia owners check the torque on these nuts.  It seems that they have the potential to become loose from vibration etc.

In addition, I sprayed the inside of the large black connector from the motor to the MEIB (not sure what that component does - found the name in the Enertia wiring diagram on the wiki) to see if that helps.

I've attached a few photos of the location of the loose/missing nuts.

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 03:53:36 AM »
Thank you very much for pointing out the possible loosening of the nuts connecting the motor controller to the motor. Sometimes I also get a D4 error, the engine shuts down, but fortunately the D4 error disappears after restarting the bike. So maybe some of the nuts on my Enertia Plus have also come loose. I'll definitely check it out and let you know what I found.

Maybe I would recommend you to unscrew all the connections between the controller and the motor and clean them thoroughly with a contact cleaning spray or also with a wire brush. If the D4 error is present after retightening the cleaned contacts, I would try to clean the communication connector on the Sevcon controller.

Do you have a photo of a connector you've already cleaned? Is it the communication connector of the motor controller?
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2021, 06:17:54 AM »
Hi, I can see from photo 1 the nuts are nylocs. However there isn't enough thread through to make them work. You'll need to replace the bolts with longer ones, need at least two threads sticking through or use ordinary nuts and a lock washer. Perhaps thread lock! Hope you succeed
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2021, 09:57:56 AM »
Thank you KaFr and EV promise for your suggestions.  I appreciate the help.

I've included a photo of the connector from the motor that I cleaned with contact cleaner.  Unfortunately it didn't help.  It was really difficult to push the two ends together to engage the clip, but that may be due to what looks like an orange gasket that is inside the connector going in the direction of the controller.  According to the Enertia wiring diagram, the connector first goes to the MEIB I think. 

You made a good point EV promise about the length of the bolts and the nuts.  I'll definitely look into that. 

I have a second Enertia with motor issues and before I could remove the faulty motor I had to cut black heat shrink off of each of the bus tabs on the controller before I could access the bolts.  The Enertia with the D4 issue didn't have any heat shrink, so it's very possible that the controller was serviced or replaced at some point. 

I will try cleaning the connections between the controller and motor.  I'm also going to remove the controller and inspect those connections as well.

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2021, 03:55:04 PM »
Good news.  I got the bike working.  I'm not exactly sure what corrected the problem, but I cleaned the five metal bus bars on the bottom of the controller with Scotch-Brite and also disconnected and reconnected the three black plastic connectors on the controller. 

There is some kind of dielectric grease that was packed on and around the black connectors that I'll need to replace.  More than likely there to prevent moisture.  In addition, the outside edges of the controller are wrapped with 10 mil PVC pipe tape.  Probably another measure to prevent water from getting on the controller.  I'll need to find both the dielectric grease and tape.  I'm also going to find longer bolts for the motor cables and get new nylon nuts.  Will also add heat shrink to those bus bars as they would have been done from the factory.

I'll post some photos when I have more time.

Going to put everything back together for a quick test drive and see what happens.  Wish me luck.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2021, 04:02:45 PM »
Fantastic news!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2021, 01:31:32 AM »
That's great news! We have now finally discovered the true cause of the D4 error.  ;)
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2021, 02:43:44 AM »
Great news and many thanks for the updates and photos. Will help keep more of our bikes on the road 😊
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2021, 11:14:30 AM »
Thanks everyone.  I took the bike out for a drive yesterday and so far so good.

As for the cause of the D4 error, I'm really not sure.  Like I said before, I cleaned the five metal tabs/bus bars on the end of the controller where the motor cables connect and also unplugged/plugged the three black connectors on the controller.  Could be something related to either of those or a strange coincidence.

Please remember to disconnect the blue high voltage connector under the "tank" fairing before performing any work on the bike! 

I'd also like to mention that I'll need to replace the 10 mil PVC pipe tape (I think it's 2 inch width) that was wrapped around the outside edge of the controller as well as adding dielectric grease (lots) to the area around the three black connectors on the controller.  You can see it in one of the photos.  It looks like silicon but isn't of course.

There is a thermal pad between the controller and aluminum heat sink.  The Enertia service manual (available in the wiki) mentions it along with the removal procedure. 

If you're going to remove the controller, follow these crude and very amateur steps:

1.  Remove the round black side covers on the motor, then carefully remove the upper and lower bodywork.  Be sure to support the lower
     fairing (the part with the black grill on the front) with your hand as you remove the bolts so that it doesn't fall to the ground.  I believe the
     procedure is in both the owner's manual and service manual.

2.  Disconnect the blue high voltage connector under the "tank" fairing.  Very important!  Injury or damage to components could occur if you
     don't.

3.  Label each of the five motor cables that connect to the rear of the controller and remove them.  I believe that the allen head bolts are 6mm
     and the nuts on the front of the bus bars are 13mm.

4.  Find a cardboard box or something similar to support the controller after you remove the four mounting bolts.  Ideally the top of the box
     should be close to touching the bottom of the controller.  You don't want the controller hanging freely and putting unnecessary stress on
     the wiring/connectors.

5.  There's three additional cables that connect to what I'm going to call the top of the controller.  Two of them come from the right side of the
     frame of the bike and are secured with a single cable tie (zip tie, ty wrap.)   The cable tie needs to be removed prior to lowering the
     controller because you'll need slack in the cables prior to lowering the controller.  These two cables are wrapped in protective black
     cloth/tubing.

6.  Remove the four mounting bolts on the corners of the controller while applying pressure to the controller to prevent it from free falling.  A
     6mm allen seemed too small.  A 7mm was too large.  Use a 1/4 inch if you have one.  It fit perfectly.
     Keep in mind that the heat sink (silver aluminum part with cooling fins)  is not attached to the controller, so try to hold everything together
     as one unit (like a sandwich) as you carefully lower it down to your cardboard box/support.  You don't want to put stress on the black
     plastic connectors.  They look fragile.

7.  Once you have the controller on the box/support you should see a large amount of dielectric grease packed on and around the connectors. 
     It may be possible to disconnect the connectors without removing the grease, but I couldn't see the release tabs on the connectors with
     the grease in place.  I used to small flat blade screwdriver and carefully scooped away the grease a little at a time and wiped it onto a rag. 
     Once the majority was removed I used cotton swabs on the rest of it.

8.  Each of the black plastic connectors has what I'm going to call a release tab that has to be pressed towards the connector at the top to
     remove it.  Be very careful while removing these.  If you break a tab there won't be anything to hold the connector in place.  Take your time
    and study everything first.  I had a hard time with removing these.

It also looks like there was remnants of thermal paste (like a computer processor heat sink) as well.  I'm going to try to reach out to Sevcon and get confirmation on this.  My thermal pad has a tear and looks pretty rough so I'm going to try to find a replacement.  I don't know how much heat the controller generates but it can't hurt.

That's about it.  My recommendation would be to first try cleaning the ends of the five bus bars and motor cables with Scotch-Brite or something similar first and see if that clears the D4 error.  If not, continue with the controller removal process.  I thought I read something in an old post about there being too much dielectric grease in the connector which caused issues, but I could be mistaken.  Maybe reseating the black connectors helped.  Who knows.

Very happy to have the bike working again.  For how long I don't know.

Still love it as much today as the first day I rode it. 

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 11:25:38 AM by sunchaser »

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 11:15:30 AM »
More photos.

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: D4 Error code. Please help. (SOLVED)
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2021, 02:42:41 PM »
I see that the Sigma motor controller connector (for Brammo Enertia Legacy 2009) is very complicated and prone to malfunction or moisture leakage.
Therefore, during the upgrade of Brammo Enertia in 2012, it was replaced by a Sevcon controller.

The picture bellow shows Enertia Basic 2012 Sevcon Gen4 motor controller with the standard multi-pin connector, which has one wiring harness only. It's also not a perfect solution, but there is a rubber seal inside the connector. Nevertheless, I recommend additionally sealing the wiring harness input to the connector plug.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 03:26:13 PM by KaFr »
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: D4 Error code. Please help. (SOLVED)
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2021, 03:35:55 PM »
Yes, the Sevcon controller looks like a better solution.  The connector looks more suited to being exposed to the elements.

I'm going to try to fabricate an "L" shaped splash guard for the top of the controller.  It will mount underneath the bottom two mounting bolts for the DC-DC converter.

I never intentionally ride in the rain and am extremely careful when washing the bike to prevent water from getting on or in delicate areas.

Thanks for the photo.

sunchaser

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: D4 Error code. (SOLVED)
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2021, 08:27:29 AM »
I sent an email to Digital Motor Control in Germany and asked about the use of thermal paste on the thermal pad.  I also asked about the proper torque for the mounting bolts, but I think they provided the torque value for the bus bars where the motor cables are connected.  I sent another email to clarify and will share what I find out if I get a reply.

Here is the response I received:

we recommend using thermal paste in order to improve the cooling, however this is not obligatory. The fixing torque for power connectors M8 terminals is 11Nm. For your information please find attached the Sigmadrive manual.

They were also kind enough to send a pdf of the SigmaDrive manual.  The file is 2.35mb so it's too large to post here.  If anyone is interested I can send it to them.  The manual might be a good thing to add to the wiki.  Brammofan?

I'm very impressed by the prompt reply I received from Digital Motor Control.  Great customer service.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: D4 Error code. (SOLVED)
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2021, 09:30:16 AM »
You can send the manual to me - brammofan@brammofan.com

I'll get it uploaded to the wiki.  Thanks!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki