Author Topic: Front forks and ride on Empulse R  (Read 734 times)

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Front forks and ride on Empulse R
« on: May 29, 2021, 03:04:48 AM »
Hi, after riding my Empulse for a thousand miles, this week I rode a couple of hundred on my aprillia shiver 900. It was sooo good, the difference is night and day. The reason, the front forks. I need to do something. I've reduced the damping, minimised the spring preload but still the front rides over near every bump. I have an old Ducati 750ss '97, this had similar issues to the Empulse and with that I changed the fork oil for 2 grades thinner. What has anyone done to make the front more compliant? How easy is it to change the oil? I know Hades omeaga took his to a shop but I don't think there are any around here. Thanks.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Front forks and ride on Empulse R
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2021, 06:19:37 PM »
Yeah check that thread out I have the suspension settings on it if you want to try them out
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3698.0

The shop told me the bike was overly stiff from the factory.  The increase the rear preload and turn the dampening down on the front.  It was like a night and day different.  The bike had a willingness to lean.
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 06:56:09 AM »
Thanks for the info, I've watched all your suspension videos. Based on them and the cooler temps here in the UK I've decided the replace the fork oil with Silkolene 5w oil or Motul 5w oil first. ( I've drawn an few graphs based on temp and viscosity). Turns out my Ducati has Marzocchi forks and replacing the 7.5w oil in them transformed the ride. I might also adjust the tyre pressures, the Brammo weights the same as my Aprillia, wears the same size tyre and yet has much higher pressures!! I've not played with steer head angle by jacking the rear up or lowering the forks in the triple clamps but I'll consider it to adjust the turn in.  It's something I've not previously considered, but I've not had experienced advice either.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

HadesOmega

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2021, 06:29:55 PM »
Yeah the recommended 41psi tire pressures are too high also. 
2016 Victory Empulse TT - #139

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2021, 08:16:43 AM »
A short update. The weather has warmed up here in the UK, 25
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997