Author Topic: How to lift the front wheel (when static :)  (Read 814 times)

mdales

• View Profile
How to lift the front wheel (when static :)
« on: October 16, 2021, 09:51:14 AM »
I took my Brammo in for the MOT (a UK mandatory annual road worthiness test). One of the checks they do is they lift both the wheels (one at a time) to check that the wheels don't drop off and that on the front the steering is free. The rear is easy enough, as you can put it on a paddock stand for the test. But the front you need to be able to turn the handle bars. The mechanic and I in the end did some dubious counter weighting on the back, as we couldn't find a place to put the jack to lift the front.

In the service manual it says that you can lift the bike on a jack, but it doesn't specify where. Any tips for a safe point at the front to lift the back in such a way? Happy to remove panels etc. to get to it, I just don't want to put the weight on something I shouldn't.

biohazard

• View Profile
Re: How to lift the front wheel (when static :)
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2021, 10:58:45 AM »
A headlift stand might let you rotate it a little bit?

electric 2 wheeler

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2021, 02:07:05 AM »
When I changed my front tire I put the rear on a track stand and lifted the front with a chain hoist. You are lifting allot of weight though.

siai47

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2021, 06:38:24 AM »
When I got my Empulse several years ago, I changed the front forks to the upgraded factory forks.  In order to lift the front and do the work, I put the rear on a stand (had bobbins installed in the swingarm) and then installed a hardened threaded rod through the hole in the steering stem.  Attached a I-bolt to the top and a nut and washer to the bottom.  Attached a hoist and lifted it up to do the work.