Author Topic: Question for current Enertia owners about the back end...  (Read 4174 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Question for current Enertia owners about the back end...
« on: October 19, 2010, 09:40:59 PM »
Can somebody tell me what this back end piece is for...behind the seat and tail light...

I ask because, while I love an area on the back to put a crate or such (I do come from the scooter world after all and we love cheap storage space)...well you can't carry anything there or it will block the brake light.

I suggest making the seat a bit longer and it could carry stuff behind the driver...maybe even a skinny passenger...

The new photos of the Enertia Plus show the driver (Brian?) only taking up the front of the seat as is...just add a bit more and you could bungie a sleeping bag and such easily...

Gavin

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Question for current Enertia owners about the back end...
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2010, 10:23:16 PM »
Well, you're in luck!  Because we have new lockable Givi hardbags as an option... :)

That piece of plastic is to keep water and mud from coating your backside.  It's also required for mounting the license plate in a road legal position.  I do sit way forward on the seat, but I'm also only 5'9" and about 170lbs. 
« Last Edit: October 19, 2010, 10:27:05 PM by BrammoBrian »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2010, 10:37:12 PM »
Again, I remind everyone I suck at Photoshop...

But going from this:

to this:

should be doable and still look good.

It's not like similar bikes don't have this type seat:

A small, light bike similar in size and weight to the Enertia...Not that the Enertia Plus should try and be a Nighthawk, gah, no...but a bit more bench and a bit less dangly plastic piece on the back might be nice.
:)

Gavin

« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 12:33:09 PM by Gavin »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2010, 09:16:05 AM »
Actually, that's pretty good, Gavin.  I think the concern with extending the seat like that would be the temptation to have a passenger sit on it.  Not sure that the frame could support it, and, of course, your range would suffer.

Still, I am tempted to change that shelf into a little luggage rack and to add (or move) the tail light module to the back end of it.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2010, 10:09:24 AM »
Gavin,

Point taken, but as Brammofan eluded to, the cast aluminum structure that supports the seat ends where the seat ends.  The plastic piece that supports the license plate is only supported by sheet metal brackets that would not be able to carry much weight.  I do like Harry's idea, though, as you could move the taillamp and turnsignals backwards and build a steel rack in the space directly behind the seat for storage...

Unfortunately, as an OEM, these "simple" changes usually trigger all kinds of re-certification and configuration control headaches (which manifest themselves to the customer as quality issues), so there's really no such thing as a "simple" change.  Once the bike's in a customer's hands though... the sky's the limit as they say.  

Here's my point on the length of the seat... Some riders use every bit of it...

« Last Edit: October 20, 2010, 10:11:56 AM by BrammoBrian »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2010, 10:47:53 AM »
Here's my point on the length of the seat... Some riders use every bit of it...
I'm 6' 3" and I use all of it.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2010, 12:11:29 PM »
Oh, I agree....which why I love a bench seat. I use all of it too. Heck on my bigger scooter I will often ride on the passenger pillon...Usually when taking long trips I will stretch out on the back for 20% of the time.

And I'm not complaining or saying, "hey I like it, now change it :)" In fact I feel kinda rude just posting this thread...

And I'm very use to after market modding all my rides.

Just was wondering how to replace that silly little license extended so it is more useful...I am use to putting things back there, and know that is forbidden because of the brake light position.

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2010, 12:20:32 PM »
Well, I know the brake light module is compatible with a SV650, so... if that helps, let me know. 

The more I think about this, the more I want to do it, but I want it to look as if it's OEM, not a milk crate held on by bungee cords, with a brake light duct-taped to it.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2010, 08:11:36 PM »
I absolutely plan on adding some support brackets from somewhere down by the sides and connected to the back end to put a shelf that will allow for a trunk. This will probably require the moving of the tail light, but many trunks have tail lights built in. I also will have side compartments, so in all I plan on having three storage compartments.

I want to be able to store a helmet, a jacket, groceries, which often require large items like paper towels, bathroom tissue, etc, and maybe that possible device that will allow for 240 charging.

I want this bike to be a useful tool to run errands and eliminate trips that have been requiring my gasoline powered car. For me, getting this bike is mostly about reducing my use of fossil fuels, although I'm certain that I will be spending time riding just for the fun of it. But the fun part is secondary, and reducing my carbon footprint is primary so I need it to be able to transport as much stuff as possible.

So a trunk is going to be fitted on it one way or another.

beatsdddx

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2010, 11:52:37 AM »
I hear you Gavin,
Since I use my CBR as a daily driver now, I know it's not pretty, but I bungee
down a Roughneck plastic container 19.50 by 12.50.
I use it when i go shopping it doesn't lock so it's good for a single shopping trip.
A number of times I had to bungee down my bicycle to take it down to the
beach for a ride, I got a lot of stares but it works! It's
important to have a practical, functional rear end seat area on a motorcycle.
I'm sure in the future  Brammo-B will design a Enertia+2 or a Empulse +2
, for two up riding.Then that will take care of rear seat design issue we have now
with the current Enertia.

Found a company {Johnny Rack} that makes a rack to carry your bike, in time someone will make a gizmo
for the  Enertia, sky is the limit for items we need to carry.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: October 21, 2010, 12:30:47 PM »
Nice :)

People make fun of bungee cords and milk crates...but they are often quite useful...and I actually don't like permanent carry-on on my bike...i like it light when i don't need anything, and they bulky when i need it

heck, i've carted a 7 foot christmas tree on that scooter.

as for my bigger ride...even that I will bungee stuff on...

Do the Givi saddlebags come on and off easily? I could see getting them if I can put them on when I want (a couple of times a month) but keep them at home for 90% of the time.

Gavin

(edit...Hey Brammo, if you want some photos of an Enertia Plus at the Very Large Array, just get me my bike and I will head down and take some there... :) )
« Last Edit: October 21, 2010, 01:30:16 PM by Gavin »

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2011, 12:58:50 AM »
Gavin thats soo funny I thought I was the only crazy one that carries a Christmas tree on a bike, I had once carried a 6 1/2 foot Christmas tree on my Yamaha Zuma 2 lol

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2011, 01:44:05 PM »
Hard to say on the Givi bags as they still don't have brackets so you can't actually use them.

Liv2xplore

• Just a goofy conservative that loves E.V.'s
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2011, 04:30:39 PM »
I love the idea of a longer bench seat. I have an 8 year old boy that I need to drop off a mile from home on the way into work. Without the ability to put that extra 70 plus pounds on the back, it doesn't make sense for me to have one. As he gets older he will be able to be more on his own and it won't matter quite as much. Until then I have a definite need for the extra seating.
Being Conservative doesn't mean loves Big Oil.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2011, 07:03:50 PM »
I am 6'3" and I was wondering if my 9 year old daughter could fit on the bike.  Not really.  Even if there were a place to anchor some foot pegs, I don't think you could do it without:
1. Making a new seat
2. Moving the brake light module further aft.

Maybe you have the fabrication skills to do this.  I surely don't.