General > Victory Empulse

**WARNING** Keep an eye on your motor temp (MTR)

(1/1)

new-brammo-guy:
**WARNING** Keep a very close eye on the motor temp (MTR on the dash). A single $1 thermistor can go bad and overheat your motor without knowing! Make sure your coolant pump is turning on around 36C.

My MTR temp was 5-10C off for the last couple years but recently went to -20C (like the other posts below).

I found a replacement thermistor on Amazon and while you cannot remove the old one or get as accurate of a reading of motor temp, there is work around that may get me close enough. I'll post once I have fully tested it out. 

I have a 2016 Victory Empulse TT with 4k miles, regularly maintained and stored in a non-climate controlled garage.

Related posts:
https://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=4050.msg29024#msg29024
https://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=3963.msg27567#msg27567

new-brammo-guy:
Update: here's what I did - after a test ride last night it seemed to work

[1] Cut wires going to faulty thermistor that is buried inside motor. Added heat shrink to the end of the cut wires to seal them off.
[2] Used the original connector to add a replacement thermistor + I added a potentiometer in series so I could offset the temperature by about 8 degrees C. Soldered and used heat shrink to seal everything up though I left a bit of the thermistor exposed so it can read the temp more accurately.
[3] Put the new thermistor in the opening where the original wires passed through. Not as embedded as the original thermistor, so the actual motor temp is likely 10C higher than what the new thermistor is reading (thus I added the potentiometer to offset the temp by about 8 degrees).

Here's a very brief video:

See attached pic

EV promise:
Hi, great to see your repair and video. Well done in keeping the bike on the road to enjoy.
Looking at my bike's logs I don't believe they're too sensitive to cooling once the pump is running. Max motor temp I've seen in the logs is 74deg C (165degF)  during some top speed runs. Be great to hear experience from others.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version