Author Topic: What I really really want...  (Read 3064 times)

jerseyjeff

• View Profile
What I really really want...
« on: October 25, 2010, 04:48:55 PM »
I am getting closer and closer to buying my first non-human powered two-wheeler,  and I am at a crossroads.  I have watched too much of ewan and charley and would love to get a vstrom, transalp or a super tenere slap some bags on it and do the trans-american trail,  but in reality it will primarily be for my 6 mile commute,  and local errands.  Yep,  I could probably ride my bike,  but I really want to go a little faster,  and well,  I want a motorcycle cause they are fun!

I definitely want a supermotard/dual sport sort of riding position, and have been looking at the enertia plus,  and the empulse....  if I could put a set of upright bars on the empulse I think I would be in love...  untill then I am thinking the enertia might be the right call. But then there are two problems: 

1)  I am on the east coast,  and have not found a dealer to visit and see if i fit on it. (I am relatively large,  6'2", 34 inseam and size 13 feet)

2)  I am not sure if the enertia plus will have the go for my girth,  and I really dont like the cafe racer style of the empulse ( I imagine it is for aerodynamics,  and I would kill the range by being upright,  but I really would prefer to be heads up and looking around) 

any pearls of wisdom for a new guy?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: What I really really want...
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2010, 05:04:05 PM »
Hi Jeff - welcome to the forum!

The Empulse prototype you see in all the pictures has clip-ons - those low grips that give it that cafe racer look.  Brammo has stated that the stock Empulse will come with upright handlebars, so that might be what you're looking for.  So far, no plans for a super-motard DS, but you're not the first guy who's asked.

I'm 6'3", 34 inseam and I fit just fine on my Enertia.

No dealers on the East coast that I'm aware of... yet.  I know I guy who lives in NYC (some trendy-ass neighborhood) who might be willing to show off his Enertia.  And his 150+ other bikes.  And his racetrack....

Anyway.  The Enertia would be awesome for your 6 mile commute.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

jerseyjeff

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2010, 08:57:31 AM »
I am pretty certain I walked pass the brammo in NYC...  looked like it was in a shop,  ton of helmets bunch of great looking bikes,  and then I realized it was a residence.   Wow.   Do you think an enertia plus will be enough to pull me around or is waiting for an empulse a better choice.  I have spent a ton of time with Lithium Ion tools and I know how important it is to keep the batteries cool,  so I like the cooling setup of the empulse,  but not sure if I would be buying way more bike than I need

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2010, 09:07:34 AM »
This guy's place is in Tribeca.

How much do you weigh?  I weigh 210 and the Enertia has no problem with me. 

The cooling system on the Enertia is kind of loud, but it doesn't kick on until the motor temp hits... I think 140.  I've ridden it in temps of 102 in Kansas City, and it handled it okay.  What really drives the temperature up is using WOT a lot and for long periods of time.  If you do that, the display eventually reports a thermal cutback fault and the top speed of the bike will go down to about 50mph.  It's happened to me a couple of times but as I rarely ride on true highways, it wasn't a problem.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2010, 09:24:12 AM »
I kinda wonder why they didn't throw the Empulse water cooling on the Enertia Plus...Brammo already has the system all worked out. I guess it wouldn't look as nice on the thinner Enertia Plus....but I do prefer quiet water cooling over a noisy fan. But I imagine the fan won't be running often in my city riding...and for my highway riding, well I again imagine that the fan won't be louder than the wind noise when going 60 mph on the highway.

Though the thought of the speed suddenly being limited to 50 is a bit more worrisome...but I won't be doing too much highway riding on the Enertia Plus.

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2010, 11:11:04 AM »
I kinda wonder why they didn't throw the Empulse water cooling on the Enertia Plus...Brammo already has the system all worked out. I guess it wouldn't look as nice on the thinner Enertia Plus....but I do prefer quiet water cooling over a noisy fan. But I imagine the fan won't be running often in my city riding...and for my highway riding, well I again imagine that the fan won't be louder than the wind noise when going 60 mph on the highway.

Since they've kept listed performance specs the same, they're probably using the same Enertia 3.1 motor (Perm PMS 150 120 L) and controller . Empulse's motor water cooling is specific to the Empulse's motor, but the Enertia TTR race bike did use the water-cooled PMS 150 W. I guess they're staying with the air-cooled motor to minimize development and tooling costs, and perhaps to minimize overlap with the Empulse.

With the glaring exception of the chain, the Enertia is about as close as you can get to a maintenance free motorcycle. Water-cooling adds complexity and maintenance issues (radiator / coolant pump / tubing), in a low power application it's probably a bit of overkill.

The Enertia fans will turn on during periods of sustained high-power operation, but they will continue to stay on presumably until the motor or controller cools below a certain threshold. At low speed operation I've read that the fan noise is noticeable.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2011, 09:26:09 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/