Author Topic: NEW BATTERY FOR EMPULSE  (Read 967 times)

boxerpower

• View Profile
NEW BATTERY FOR EMPULSE
« on: June 11, 2023, 05:56:10 AM »
Hello everyone, excuse my bad English (I'm Spanish), I leave you what I have done to my Brammo Empulse in case it is of interest to you. I have made the entire battery and now it has more autonomy and less weight. Greetings to the whole community.

Pelobien

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: NEW BATTERY FOR EMPULSE
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2023, 07:58:34 AM »
Muy buen trabajo

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2023, 08:35:33 AM »
Congratulations! Excellent work.
2013 Brammo Empulse #602 INOP Sold
2016 Victory Empulse #199
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Chocula

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2023, 01:24:52 PM »
Great Job!!!

I was wondering if the BMS could be made autonomous without causing other problems.  This is great news.

I still love the bike, but my range is not what it used to be, and I need to ride gently once I get to around 50% capacity.

Chocula

boxerpower

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2023, 02:24:07 PM »
Hello Chocula, the BMS accepts any cell as long as they work at the voltages for which they are designed. Even so, if you wanted to install lipefo4 cells from the firmware, for example, you could edit the VIN and vary the voltages. I installed these li-ion cells with the same chemistry and voltages as the originals and no problems with the bms. The only thing I removed were the glow plugs because the new cells have better tolerance to extreme temperatures and from time to time system fault 62 appears (failure of one or more glow plugs), but it does not affect the proper functioning of the motorcycle at all. Hopefully more users will be encouraged to recover this wonderful motorcycle! Greetings.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2023, 02:45:03 AM »
Bien hecho boxerpower. I always believed this would be possible, I just couldn't see a practical, cost effective solution.
I translated the words 'real time' with Google translate on my phone hovering over the image on my tablet. Works well.
Ali express wouldn't ship to UK but come the time, know doubt some one would.
boxerpower, please add a ride or charge file from the usb. Great work and many thanks .
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

boxerpower

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 06:49:44 AM »
Bien hecho boxerpower. I always believed this would be possible, I just couldn't see a practical, cost effective solution.
I translated the words 'real time' with Google translate on my phone hovering over the image on my tablet. Works well.
Ali express wouldn't ship to UK but come the time, know doubt some one would.
boxerpower, please add a ride or charge file from the usb. Great work and many thanks .
Hey, of course. I leave you here already converted the DRV file to Excel from this morning. I have put a bit of cane in it (time at 140km/h), and everything is fine. The only strange thing that it has done to me is that sometimes the remaining charge percentage added up to an exact 10% at times, that is, maybe it went to 67% and suddenly it marked 77%. I'll watch to see... I've put it to load, I'll pass you the load file. Greetings.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Hkf-rVE_4GhZFKzF4mFLejTLoN7VBSEV/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106468589124736398926&rtpof=true&sd=true

KaFr

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2023, 02:54:31 AM »
It looks like module #7 has about 10% lower SoC than the other modules.
Is it possible to ballance it, for example by longer charging?
Ovaobike MCR-M 2022 #24
Victory Empulse TT 2016 #150
Brammo Enertia Plus 2013 #205
Peugeot E-Vivacity 2012 #978
Renault Fluence Z.E. 2012

boxerpower

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2023, 04:44:16 AM »
It looks like module #7 has about 10% lower SoC than the other modules.
Is it possible to ballance it, for example by longer charging?
Yes, in fact there still hadn't balanced. Now everything is beginning to be even. I'll post the upload file in when it's all balanced. I have also taken the opportunity to change the charger fans since the noise was very annoying, now you can't hear anything anymore, like a Zero. The curious thing is that I don't know why the air flow of these fans was from top to bottom... I have put the new ones upside down so that the air flows through the fins of the aluminum cooler and by convection the air comes out hot by the nozzle that is in the tail. I will make a video of the subject when I can too.

EV promise

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2023, 04:44:27 AM »
Many thanks for the file. I like the new cells and would buy them for mine when the time comes. A new lease of life for the bike. Enjoy your riding.
Brammo Empulse R 2014
Aprilia Shiver 900 2018
Ducati 750SS 1997

boxerpower

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2023, 05:15:18 AM »
Many thanks for the file. I like the new cells and would buy them for mine when the time comes. A new lease of life for the bike. Enjoy your riding.
Thank you. This bike was given to me by a friend (I already have a Zero SR), and poor thing it was neglected and with a dead battery. I decided to preserve the aesthetics out of respect for my friend and for that reason I beat myself up redoing the modules, but if you decide to put these cells you can make an upper box and a lower box in which up to 22kwh could fit. There are many sizes and capacities of these cells and doing it with two boxes saves a lot of space. As they are practical to remove and put on, it would be an advantage to be able to open just one cover and replace the affected cell in case of failure, since they are screwed.

boxerpower

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2023, 10:11:34 AM »
Well, today after lowering it to 28% and after loading the balance is already beginning to be quite adjusted. Tomorrow I will lower it to 0% and I will carry out a new load, with this the whole set will be adjusted. Only module 2 gives an unbalance error, which will disappear tomorrow, or even at rest tonight. I leave the upload file. https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1W8l-7PV41dD3CWkqbCwXVPs__qR-Sosu/edit?usp=sharing&ouid=106468589124736398926&rtpof=true&sd=true