Author Topic: B40 error tackling  (Read 2437 times)

acceler

• View Profile
Re: B40 error tackling
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2023, 11:45:03 AM »
Well this just randomly happen. Haven't touched the battery in over 2 weeks since My last post. And today suddenly  I smell smoke and the dam bms was on fire. Thank God I was home and it was on a cart and I was able to roll it out of the garage and disconnect it.
IDK 🤷‍♂️ what the he'll happen or why 2 weeks later it suddenly did this but now I'm screwed.

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2023, 11:45:44 AM »
And another

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2023, 11:47:08 AM »
And more pics

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #63 on: October 24, 2023, 01:46:37 PM »
Oh crap. Never seen that before. Thank goodness you got it out of the garage.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #64 on: October 24, 2023, 09:12:56 PM »
That is scary !  Was it on a charger at the time?
2013 Brammo Empulse #602 INOP Sold
2016 Victory Empulse #199
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #65 on: October 24, 2023, 09:21:10 PM »
Nope. Haven't touch it in over 2 weeks. I was out of town till yesterday. Nothing connected to it.

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #66 on: October 24, 2023, 09:27:58 PM »
That was not the battery that had the swollen cells? The top was off and the bms was still screwed to the battery? Could something have fallen on top of it and shorted it out? Trying to wrap my head around how that could have happened.
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Gio

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: October 26, 2023, 06:57:43 AM »
seems like it started with the heaters of the pouch cells? was the bettery connected to the motorcycle? or was it standalone in the cart?

acceler

• View Profile
« Reply #68 on: October 26, 2023, 07:46:49 AM »
The battery was on the cart. Module 7 was disconnected as well as the board on 7 removed. It does appear the heat wires were all burned up. I've since removed the other board so now it just 3 pouch packs but not really sure now if the pouch popped, bms randomly went crazy or something else. Nothing touched it. So whatever happened it was the pack itself that caused it.   Ether way I think at this point it beyond saving. I'm ether going the pull the top pack today and think about selling what left of the 2 packs and recovering the bike. Or completely pulling the driveline out and use it in another project and sell the remaining empulse parts. I did work at two 2 EV companies and am firmiluar with sevcon and have access to drivewizard so to "tweek a dcf file is easy enough for me. It I choose to repower or transplant it.

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2023, 03:44:21 PM »
Too bad to read about your fire, Accler! But very happy it did not got any worst than it did. Could have turned out much worse I guess.. Makes me wonder if charging the Brammo in the shed which is build in between my house and my neigbours is a good idea. If things go bad, 2 houses will go up in flames.. :(

However, my Brammo is back on the road. Commuted with it this week. Through rain and storm. Lets see if my battery-pack's stay dry.

To get you all up to speed since I left you: the Brammo was back to live, all I had to do was re-seal the modules and re-assemble it all. I spent some day's thinking about how to re-seal those modules. I think the whole construction and seal is pretty bad. So my ideas ranged from completely rebuilding the module-tray's to completely cover the PCB's by pouring them into liquid silicon. In the end I decided to keep things simple and just re-assemble the modules, but adding silicon-sealant to the joining-surfaces as best as I can.

Re-assembling the Brammo took more time than expected. Man, it's not very efficiently assembled toghether. All those different panels and sheet metal parts... Pff.. very time-consuming. A lot different from all the other bikes I ever worked on. But hey.. it's back together. The ride last day's were nice. The weather is appalling, but for the module-seal-test that's just what I need. After each ride I take out the USB-stick and I've automated the read-out process. So I can easily track for new moisture in the modules when it happens..

Just a new question: doing all the work and looking at all different settings and stuff, I accidently changed my Brammo from kilometers to miles. How do I switch it back??

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Korbin Dallas

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #71 on: November 02, 2023, 05:09:37 PM »
that is great news Haplo. Thank you for the update. there was a post on the forum about changing from kph to mph
2003 Suzuki SV1000S

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #72 on: November 02, 2023, 05:11:44 PM »
Great news!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Haplo

• Enciter
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #73 on: November 03, 2023, 01:12:45 PM »
Thanks for cheering and for the suggestion how to switch back to Kilometers.. However I can't try it. After one week of happy riding it died today when trying to charge it.. The irony.. :( See: https://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=4353.0