Author Topic: Empulse is a sportbike, right?  (Read 3555 times)

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Empulse is a sportbike, right?
« on: December 01, 2010, 01:17:51 AM »
Yes. Let's keep it that way by not watering it down into a do it all electric bike. I read posts on here asking for things that would fit the enertia rider best. Non sport riders should go buy the other Brammo. This bike should not be for everyone.

I am a sport rider and it is my daily driver. I love the sport bike so much I just DEAL with it. If you can't deal with a real sport bike the empulse is NOT for you. Take a look at the other BRAMMO. ;)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Empulse is a sportbike, right?
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 10:17:24 AM »
The Empulse in concept form has a sportbike riding position, though most sportbikes are faired.

It's certainly much faster than the Enertia 3.1, but it's not yet to the point where it'll give a 600cc sportbike a fight in a straight line.

Some people (myself included) are interested in the Empulse both for styling and for highway-capable range and speed, but are not interested in a sportbike riding position. I don't really see it as "watering down" the bike to offer both a standard and a sport riding position.

If the Enertia Plus was available with the 40kw liquid-cooled motor from the Empulse and a similar 100 mph maximum speed, then people could choose based solely on style and riding position.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2010, 10:53:05 AM »
Basically Brammo is trying to sell as many bikes as possible to as many people as possible...with only two models.

So the Enertia is more upright (will sell tons in Europe and Asia), the Empulse is more sports bike (will sell more in the States than worldwide). I know it is hard to see from USA eyes, but the Enertia is going to be far and away Brammo's biggest seller as Brammo sells to Hong Kong and Europe. Heck, when Brammo makes a scooter and sells that worldwide, it will outsell the Empulse. The Empulse is a great bike, but it is an American seller mostly. Some in Japan. A few worldwide too, and it is great for Brammo's marketing, just like racing is good for marketing, but the Empulse will not be Brammo's main selling bike worldwide.

The Empulse needs to appeal to the Suzuki 650 crowd, since it is the most popular sports bike, so it will have similar seating and riding position. The final version will not be as aggressive as the concept model in position...but the end user can mod it to be, just as the end user can mod it to be more upright.

Going for the most sales will dictate that the Empulse is still a sports bike, but not a track bike. So expect it to be slightly less crunched over like you see now. Expect a similar to Suzuki 650 position.

But if you order early and ask nice, I'm sure Brammo will sell you some pegs to get that crouched position if you like...maybe even the low handlebars.

But likely it will be sporty, but a bit mild...then you just mod it the way you like similar to if you bought a standard sport bike from Honda or Yamaha or Suzuki.

Gavin
« Last Edit: December 01, 2010, 11:48:34 AM by Gavin »

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2010, 09:27:39 PM »
This makes no sense. Enertia is already Brammo's main machine for the world. The Empulse suppose to attract sport riders. That is why the Empulse pictures are all sport bike NOT a SPORTY geek scooter like the enertia.

Brammo, please stick to the concept sportbike empulse, don't make it an enertia plus 2.

Look at the suzuki 650's of 2011, they are sport bikes, not gas versions of the enertia.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2010, 09:49:02 PM »
I think you are unnecessarily worrying about the Empulse. It will be available as a sports bike, as you have already seen. Brammo's strategy is to offer it as a sports bike.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2010, 11:17:29 PM »
I agree...relax, brammo isn't changing the empulse into an enertia...brammo will move the handlebars a bit higher and the foot pegs a bit lower to make it ride more like the Suzuki 650 and less like a track bike. That's about it.

It will still have the shape of a sports bike and to ride it you will still be hunched over like a teenager humping a turtle...so all the sports bike people should be happy.

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2010, 06:19:49 AM »
I think you are unnecessarily worrying about the Empulse.
That is the definition of "obsessive Empulsive disorder."

And 1lesscar: what do you mean by "sporty geek scooter like the enertia"?  Specifically, "scooter".  Enertia is not a scooter.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2010, 10:27:24 AM »
I think you are unnecessarily worrying about the Empulse.
That is the definition of "obsessive Empulsive disorder."

Ha!  How many times a day do you need to wash your hands with Fast Orange Pumice Lotion Hand Cleaner when you have OED?

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2010, 11:10:32 AM »
As for any changes stated by Brammo....

One: Handlebars are likely to be raised a bit...not like the Enertia, but more than currently in the concept model.
Two: Foot Pegs. Not as far back as currently on concept model. But current set up might be a option.
Three: Craig mentioned that he would like the seat a bit more narrow.
Four: Craig mentioned that he would like the "tank" a bit wider? I think wider.

Three and Four aren't set yet, but if Craig wants it, it will likely happen.

One and two are going to happen, but again, One: it will be easy to mod it back to current set up and Two: current set up is extreme for track racing...the mild changes will be such that the Empulse is very similar in set up to the Suzuki 650.

image showing Suzuki 650...Empulse handlebars will likely be about this high...foot pegs will likely be about this low:

as opposed to current bars and pegs:

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2010, 11:18:10 AM »
Actually that 650 has the bars a bit high...expect them a bit lower..

or likely this:

maybe we will know more on the 6th :)

Gavin
« Last Edit: December 02, 2010, 11:19:54 AM by Gavin »

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2010, 11:57:52 AM »
I currently own a 2006 Suzuki SV650 and the riding position of that bike is just fine with me. I am not a sportbike rider. I use my motorcycles for commuting and general transportation, as well as pleasure riding. Low bars, as are installed on the Empulse prototype are not for me, especially if you need to ride in an urban environment. However, the taller bars with a forward-leaning position, as is used on the Suzuki, would be perfect for my type of riding. So I am a happy camper with Brammo's current design direction.

However, I do believe that various bar options could be offered to suit different desired riding positions. Handlebars are easy to change. The only limiting factor would be the length of the wiring and cables that need to connect to the handlebar. Offering the bike with a taller bar and then providing a lower bar option would make the optional bars much easier to change than doing it the other way around, in my opinion.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2010, 12:05:41 AM »

;)The Enertia looks very nerdy. Nothing man-ly about it. Might as well be riding a real scoot. ::)

[/quote]
And 1lesscar: what do you mean by "sporty geek scooter like the enertia"?  Specifically, "scooter".  Enertia is not a scooter.
[/quote]

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2010, 11:34:12 AM »
Don't worry, without a clutch your motorcycle friends will be judging you on the Empulse and think you are un-manly too. Most will think the Empulse is just a scooter too...no clutch, no pipe = girly bike to too many small minded people.

Buy what you like and don't worry about what ignorant people think.

Gavin

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2010, 01:56:14 PM »
Side note: it is interesting, what is manly? Sports bikes are mostly for teenagers, so I wouldn't call them manly at all. Commuter rides ( scooters, the Enertia) are functional, but probably aren't thought of as manly. Harley's are manly I guess, but to me mostly "old manly" :)

If Brammo wants to make a true "manly" bike they need to basically copy the triumph T-100...that was the last true manly bike made.

Though I guess a bike is never manly or not...just the person riding it.
I've seen crazy ass tough guys you want on your side in a fight riding scooters that were made in the 60's that are barely held together by rust and flaking paint and I've seen skinny posers riding brand new sports bike that can go 150mph, but who couldn't fight their way out of a wet paper bag...and vice versa.

So I guess I would say manly aint a bike...manly sits on a bike.

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2010, 06:34:01 PM »
I own a Triumph T100 (along with two BMW's, a Yamaha FZ1, a Suzuki SV650 and an EMS GPR-S) and I want an Empulse too. Frankly, the Triumph is too noisy, sucks more gas than it should and has a tendency to warp its front rotor every few thousand miles - but I do get waves from the Harley crowd.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.