Author Topic: Empulse is a sportbike, right?  (Read 3554 times)

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Empulse is a sportbike, right?
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2010, 06:45:05 PM »
Nice collection

Actually they do still make a manly bike...those BMW enduro bike aren't my style, but any bike you can ride to the store, or ride across the sahara desert, well that is manly. :)

Gavin

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 04, 2010, 10:21:12 PM »
Buy what you like and don't worry about what ignorant people think.

Gavin

True. IMHO, the Enertia has some nerdy style to it. If you ride it , I'll still wave at you.  8)

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2010, 10:27:50 AM »
Gavin,
Great comment on OCD and the hand washing. I can relate.

Anyway, I have an Empulse on order. I am 61 years old. I have not been a street bike rider since the late 60's when I had a Honda 305 super hawk. I did however go thru 3 dirt bikes. The last being a YZ465 which in it's day was a pretty fast bike. So I like aggressive riding (still do I have 2 quads now for desert--not dunes riding). As you can surmise I am used to an upright riding position.

Could you guys comment on the difference in the riding technique used on a sports bike as opposed to a bike that has a more upright position?? I know they are different and I think I will have to retrain myself.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2010, 01:02:07 PM »
George, if I were you I might adjust the Empulse handlebars higher up and a bit more backwards, or I would replace the handlebars for more upright seating. With sports bikes low bars you will find three things that are a concern for people more used to an upright seating position.

1. This is a biggie: you will be riding with lots of pressure and weight on your wrists. Ok for short rides or if you are a teenager or if you are used to that style. But if you are used to cruiser riding, scooter riding or touring riding, well that weight on wrists riding gets old fast. You can work through that if you really want to crouch while riding, but you have to work at it.

2. Second biggie: neck position. Sitting more upright gives a larger field of view with less neck motion. So you will have to adjust how you scan your surroundings. And you will have more neck strain. Again, not a big deal if you learned to ride this way, if you are very young or doing short rides. But will take a bit of work and muscle adapting if you are new to riding this way. If you are doing a lot of long distant rides I wouldnt recommend a sports bike, but neither the Enertia nor the Empulse are doing long distance touring at this time :)

3. Less important is balance and some muscle use. You, as an experienced rider will likely adapt to these changes quickly. Leaning forward you do feel more in touch with your bike...your balance is more forward, you will be using more muscles as you move more with your bike instead of riding it as a passenger (if that makes sense).

I ride 365 days a year, in snow and ice and rain and whatnot. So my ride is mostly a transportation...dont get me wrong, I have hella fun on my bikes and I do lots of non commute, non errand rides (heading for 100 mile trip right after this post to get a beer and buffalo burger at a tavern up off the turquoise trail half way to Santa Fe...beautiful ride)...and I will go visit my daughter 500 miles away from time to time on my bike...so that is usually a 1000 miles over a 3 day weekend...so comfort trumps crouching for me.** Plus I go scooter camping...hard to carry a tent, sleeping bag and 3 days of supplies on a sports bike (hard on a scooter too, but doable).

But I have friends with sports bikes and I do see the allure if you aren't riding far or in weather...they are fun and fast.

I say go for the Empulse...ride it and have fun...and maybe just adjust the handlebars if you need or want to.

Gavin

**comfort trumps crouching for me, but not enough to go goldwing...I admire those people for being out riding...but I think they are too heavy and big and cushy...the bikes too :). I like to feel the road, the bumps, the twists...maybe in 20 years when I hit 70 I'll think about getting an electric goldwing style bike.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2010, 01:13:28 PM by Gavin »

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2010, 07:23:54 PM »
Gavin Quote:
"" Leaning forward you do feel more in touch with your bike...your balance is more forward, you will be using more muscles as you move more with your bike instead of riding it as a passenger (if that makes sense).""

Yes, this is what I was thinking. Another friend said it's more like ---not COUNTER leaning, as opposed to just matching the bikes natural lean angles.

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2010, 12:17:43 PM »
I think 1lesscar is more concerned with how he will be seen on this bike, and I can kinda see where he is coming from. It reminds me of how i felt when Honda added a banana seat to the F4i and it somehow became less of a sport bike (I owned one at the time). I know that sounds lame but at the time I was more concerned with what others thought about my car and bike. So I can relate, but that was 8 years ago.

That said, I really dont think there is a need to worry about the Empulse, this bike is going to the iconic poster child for the sport electric bike. Sure, some people may give you a hard time, most of em wont even have a motorcycle license but that wont stop em. The most critical of people tend to be posers and dont know the first thing about motorcycles let alone how to operate a clutch. For some folks, going as fast as possible in a straight line while making as much noise as possible is a measure of their "manliness", natural selection has a way of dealing with em. Image is not everything, but I dont think you will have to worry about the Empulse cramping your style.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 09, 2010, 11:17:32 PM »
I don't know about you guys, but when I was riding my ducati monster, I never felt the need for clipons, and nobody ever mistook the bike for something less than a 'serious' machine:

http://www.totalmotorcycle.com/photos/2006models/2006-Ducati-Monster-S2RDarka.jpg

But then again, to each their own.  That's why Brammo's going to offer the clipons as an option.

eric  aka webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

1lesscar

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2010, 08:01:40 PM »
I just want the empulse to be more like a street legal empulse rr. I ride a street legal race bike as my daily ride. No problems here.  :-*