Author Topic: A windshield that should work on the Empulse  (Read 5740 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
A windshield that should work on the Empulse
« on: December 02, 2010, 05:07:36 PM »
This is a modification that I have made to a number of my standard-style motorcycles that use upright tubular handlebars. If the final version of the Empulse uses these type handlebars and does not come with a windshield and you want one, then I recommend checking out the National Cycle Deflector Screen DX windshield.

This is a small windscreen that is just large enough to block the wind on your chest, while allowing the wind to hit your helmet and permitting you to see over the top of the shield. The DX version of this windshield uses clamps that permanently fasten to the bars with removable screws and then it has large removable plastic knobs that attach the shield supports to the clamps. To install or remove the windshield all you have to do is to tighten or loosen the knobs. It just takes seconds to remove or install the shield.

Another advantage of the windshield is its hardware. It has an adjustment that can move it in or out relative to the rider and another adjustment that can tilt it back and forth to vary the angle of attack. The bottom of the windshield is designed to rest against the motorcycle's headlight. If the Empulse comes with a small headlight fairing, it might not work. But if it comes with a normal round headlight shell, it should work great. I currently have one installed on my 2007 BMW R1200R, my 2005 Triumph Bonneville and my Electric Motorsport GPR-S. I am very satisfied with its performance, ease of use and durability. Pricing should be around $100.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A windshield that should work on the Empulse
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2010, 06:37:15 AM »
Here's a pic:

And some "google shopping" results.

That's pretty cool, Richard.  Thanks for the heads up.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 11:57:12 AM »
That is the Deflector Screen, but not the DX version. The more expensive DX version has big plastic knobs at the handlebar clamps that allow it to be very easily removed.  It also has an additional adjustment brackets on the windshield rods to allow it to be slid forward and backward, instead of having to make this adjustment at the handlebar clamps. I managed to make the windshield work on my GPR-S, with its nose fairing, by placing a strip of foam rubber stick-on insulation tape to the fairing to protect it against marring of the finish due to road vibration.

I think the DX version of the Deflector Screen is worth its extra approximate $20 cost over the basic version shown in Brammofan's post.

I would think that this windshield would also work on the Enertia.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 12:29:13 PM »
Oopsie.  How about this... (from the National website):

According to that website:
The Deflector Screen DX™ offers all the features of the Deflector Screen with the addition of QuickSet™ hardware. QuickSet gives you the ability to remove and store the windshield quickly and easily when you prefer to ride with the wind in your face. A simple twist of the QuickSet knobs and the shield is off — in seconds!

More info, here.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 01:38:43 PM »
I like it...a smoked grey version would look good on the black enertia plus.

Gavin

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2010, 04:00:23 PM »
Just added a page about fairings and windshields to the Brammo Owners Forum Wiki.

As always, if there's anything you want to add to the wiki, you can either add it yourself by becoming a user or you can beg me to add it.  Either way, it's just an attempt to chronicle the discussions that are relevant to owners of Brammo bikes in an editable wiki way.

Kelly Olsen

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Brammo Riders Of Southern California
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2010, 08:56:00 PM »
Great to see these as I do plan on adding a wind screen the the Enertia Plus.