Author Topic: Riding & Charging in the Summer  (Read 6806 times)

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Riding & Charging in the Summer
« on: January 26, 2011, 11:17:27 AM »
I read the threads regarding charging/riding in freezing weather (for the Enertia), but I am even more concerned about the recommendations regarding the hot temperatures.

Where I live the ambient temperature hovers around 110-112F for several months in the summer. Will the Empulse have a wider range of capabilities than the Enertia? Will I be able to ride/charge the Empulse on a hot summer day?

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Riding & Charging in the Summer
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2011, 01:35:43 PM »
Try this:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=478.0
and this:
http://brammoforum.com/index.php?topic=398.0

and the owner's manual recommends:
Operate the Enertia at temperatures below 104F (40C), charge at temperatures between 32F (0C) and 113 F (45C). 

But I've ridden at temps above 104F.  Maybe Phantom will chime in... I think he lives in Phoenix.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2011, 01:48:24 PM »
I thought Phantom lived in the chilly chilly northeast?

Gavin

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2011, 04:30:00 PM »
Yes, I'm in New England. It was -3F the other morning.

Highlander rides his Enertia in CA where it gets over 100F in the summer and I don't think he had any heat related issues.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2011, 04:48:27 PM »

Sweet, did you go riding? I'm ticked off that the coldest day I've ridden this winter was 11 degrees....need to get at least one ride in when it's in single digits.

Any riders from Phoenix? That would be the really hot weather test....

When I helped my daughter move to her Dorm at ASU 3 1/2 years ago it was 17 straight days of over 110 degrees...killer.

Gavin

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2011, 05:16:42 PM »
Thanks for the info and the links! It seems like there won't be a problem with the Li-ion batteries in the summer. Maybe Brammo is just playing it safe by making conservative recommendations.

Despite the summer heat in the San Joaquin Valley - it's still my favorite time to ride - I'm really looking forward to riding the Empulse this summer!

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2011, 05:27:34 PM »
Sweet, did you go riding?

No, I still have not been riding below 23F, but I would like to.

The roads are covered in a lot of sand, salt, snow and ice. There is often black ice where I can see pavement. In addition to the poor road conditions, I do not have a practical solution to charge it where the temperature is above 32F.

webman

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »

Sweet, did you go riding? I'm ticked off that the coldest day I've ridden this winter was 11 degrees....need to get at least one ride in when it's in single digits.

Any riders from Phoenix? That would be the really hot weather test....

When I helped my daughter move to her Dorm at ASU 3 1/2 years ago it was 17 straight days of over 110 degrees...killer.

Gavin

I'm (usually) in the phoenix area, although I've been splitting time in Las Vegas this year for work.  Unlike the rest of the country, this is prime riding season in PHX; the high today is 72 degrees!  Of course, in July, the LOW temperature is in the mid to high 80's; everyone's got a bad season sometime, and our is summer.  :)

eric aka webman
webman, aka eric

brammo vehicle desired:  Empulse 8.0
current rides:  '97 yamaha seca II (low miles, but beater)
'06 honda metro (wife's bike, mostly)
previous bikes:
'97 ducati monster 750
'91 yamaha FZR600
'84 Honda VF750 Interceptor

HighlanderMWC

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2011, 07:46:34 PM »

Highlander rides his Enertia in CA where it gets over 100F in the summer and I don't think he had any heat related issues.

CA is a big state with some very different climates. I'm in San Francisco and we don't see much heat. I'm not even sure I've seen over 90 on the Enertia but we occasionally do have 1-2 days of 90+ a year. On the flip side it was 61 coming into work this morning (seems a bit warmer than usual this year).

I think there's a couple riders down in southern California and I recall a some of them complaining about the cooling fan noise (which I don't run into often). I'm also sure that BrammoFan has seen some hot days in Kansas City (think that's where he is).