Author Topic: Theft and Waiting  (Read 4532 times)

petehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
Theft and Waiting
« on: April 27, 2011, 02:58:01 PM »
Long time lurker, first time poster.

I've been interested in motorcycles for a long time, only because of their MPGs (seriously).  For a while I had been eyeing the Ninja 250 and even took the local class to certify for my endorsement (and its still valid).  Once I heard of the Enertia, I became very interested, especially in the next generation models, + and Empulse.  I think given my current commute distance and speed needs, I'm looking at the Empulse 6.0.

Here are my two questions: 

1)  I live in a high property crime area with an active motorcycle gang that steals and/or strips motorcycles.  Do you think an electric bike would be more or less susceptible to theft?  I worry that the most expensive component, the battery, is also fairly small and relatively light, compared to the rest of the bike.  Do you worry about theft with your Brammo?

2)  I have an older car and have been looking to upgrade to a Focus or Fiesta sometime in the next 2 years, when I can get a prior years model or when bugs get worked out.  I like the idea of a smaller car with good gas mileage.  I would really like to maybe keep my car and buy the much cheaper Brammo instead, but holy cow how long must I wait?  I realize I can buy the Enertia now, but why would I when there are much better models on the horizon that are only slightly more expensive?  What is Brammo's strategy here?  The reason most companies don't announce future products too far into the future is they don't want to cannibalize sales.  While the price is somewhat high, for me, it is much cheaper than any electric car and would likely work fine for my commute 6 months out of the year.  But I, like many other consumers, can only wait so long.  If I end up getting a new car, that'll eat up any money or interest in a Brammo.  I realize most people on this board are waiting for Brammo as well and I know Brammo must also seek VC funding, but in a market featuring more and more energy efficient options (either a high mpg car or something like the Volt or Leaf), every month that passes is a month Brammo gets further behind.  I want to love Brammo, as I live in their state and think their product is very cool.  But I can't wait forever.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Theft and Waiting
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2011, 03:06:30 PM »
Not really sure on the ease of selling (all bikes have that issue)...

two points, benefits:

1) they might not know how to sell the parts right now (a market will open up over time though).

2) no gas, no oil, no exhaust...park the bike in your living room when home at night if you want...and inside where you work during the day...harder to steal then :)

Gavin

3) would be less parts for them to thieve and scavenge....no exhaust, no engine...just batteries and a motor....and wheels and such of course

4) welcome to the forum...
« Last Edit: April 27, 2011, 03:36:58 PM by Gavin »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2011, 03:57:12 PM »
Having seen BrammoJen (my Brammo Tech) work on the innards of my bike, let me tell you that getting to the batteries is a time-consuming process. 

More likely, since the bike only weighs 324 pounds, they'll throw it in the back of a pickup truck and take it somewhere.  At this point, they'll probably grab the tires (Avon Road Riders) and the handlebars, lights, brakes (Brembos) and the suspension (front: Marzocchi, rear: Elka)  They'll be befuddled with the rest of it.

I'm with Gavin on parking it inside... or perhaps making sure that you're fully insured.  Sucks that you have to deal with that crap.

As for "the wait", I wish I knew.

Welcome, Pete!  Glad you finally posted.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Courcheval

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
Motorcycle travelling in South America for the last 4 years, i noticed something : foreign unusual bikes (with cylenders over 400cc) are way less likely to be stolen. The reason is simple, the market for them is very narrow, parts are more difficult to sell and the frame is more identificable.

I guess this logic applies to electric bikes in the US. Sales are still marginal, which makes tracking of the thieves nerwork much easier for police inquieries.

petehammer

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2011, 11:03:33 AM »
Sales are still marginal, which makes tracking of the thieves nerwork much easier for police inquieries.

I agree in theory, but due to budget cuts our local police/DAs office have announced they will not focus on non-person crimes (ie, property crimes).  Having been burgled in the past in this town, the police told me then that they could "dust for prints if that would make me feel better" but that there wasn't much point to it.

I guess the moral is to buy excellent insurance... which degrades the value of the bike for me.