Author Topic: New Rider  (Read 4129 times)

valeek

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
    • Email
New Rider
« on: April 15, 2010, 06:23:31 PM »
Okay, so I've never ridden a motorcycle before, but I really want an EV.  As a 7th grade science teacher, my budget is somewhat limited, so I figured that in lieu of the LEAF, I'll get an electric motorcycle.  So of course there are several - Brammo, Zero, Vectrix, (forthcoming) Govecs, GPR-S - all depending on needs of course. 

Currently my preference is leading toward an Enertia.  But I was recently told by my roommate that certain people are just physically unable to ride due to the small size of the rider (feet unable to reach the ground when the bike is held upright).  I'm 5'8" and 150ish lbs. I was wondering if the Enertia would have similar size problems.  I believe I remember reading somewhere that it was a rather tall bike. 

Would I be able to ride a Brammo Enertia?
~~(The future isn't fixed...There is no fate but what we make for ourselves)~~
~~(We are the music makers. We are the dreamers of dreams.)~~
~~(The truth is often greater than the words we use the describe it.)~~
AND NEVER FORGET
~~(There is no spoon.)~~

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: New Rider
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2010, 08:31:36 PM »
Hi Valeek!  Welcome to the forum...  The seat height of the Enertia, according to this page is 32".  For comparison purposes, the standard seat height on the Zero DS is 35".  It's definitely one of those things that you're going to want to test drive (and sit on) before you buy. 
It looks like you're located in Mississippi, so the problem is that none of the Best Buy stores selling Enertias is located near you.  So far, they're in Oregon and California.  There's a sprinkling of other Enertia owners across the country (Iowa, Nevada, New York) but I'm not aware of one in Mississippi. 

Oh Brammo Boys... do you know of one close to Valeek?
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

valeek

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2010, 06:31:31 PM »
And if it helps at all, I'm in Madison, Mississippi, near Jackson.
AND NEVER FORGET
~~(There is no spoon.)~~

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2010, 05:05:35 PM »
Valeek,

I'm not aware of a customer out in your neck of the woods, and it may be awhile before Best Buy opens stores out that way as it's not one of the prime motorcycle markets in the US. We'd love to find a way to help though, and we'd be more than happy to give you a test ride and factory tour if you can make a visit out to Southern Oregon.  There's other things to do out here as well... it's beautiful in the Spring and Summer, we've got the Shakespeare festival plays which run 9 months out of the year, and some great vineyards for wine tasting.

I don't think you'd have a problem with the height of the bike at all.  I'm 5'9" and have no problem reaching the ground.  Case in point... that's me on the right.

I would definitely recommend taking a motorcycle safety course in order to get your motorcycle license as what you'll learn there will absolutely apply to being a safe EV motorcycle rider as well.  The Enertia is an easy motorcycle to ride, but it is still a motorcycle.  I really like the idea of a 7th grade Science teacher on the Enertia.  I may have actually paid attention in class if my 7th grade Science teacher rode a motorcycle (especially an electric one!). ;)

valeek

• There is no spoon.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2010, 03:37:59 PM »
Thanks so much for the advice.  That really goes a long way to ease my doubts as to being able to drive an Enertia.

I can't say that I'll be getting to Oregon anytime soon though.  I'm not much of a traveler myself.  As a matter of fact, I'll be going to Washington, D.C., for the first time ever next week when I take my Science Quiz Bowl team to the DOE's national competition.

Now, I've read some information about those safety courses.  I know in Mississippi, the DMV will not waive the test even if you have taken the riding course.  And the course itself (from what I can find) is $200!  That's almost a turn-off right there.  But I'm determined to do this, so I'm just gonna have to save a little bit and maybe eat a little less.

Thanks again for the forum and the community!
AND NEVER FORGET
~~(There is no spoon.)~~

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2010, 11:36:43 PM »
Hey, New Rider,
I wonder if Brammo or Best Buy would ship a bike to you. If you dont like it, they could have it shipped back. In lieu of the fact that there arent locations all over the US, that might be a good compromise.
By the way, I am an owner and a female. I have owned and ridden bikes over the years and can tell you that this is SO EASY to ride that a complete newbie would be able to ride it, although a safety course is recommended and in some states manditory to get your endorsement. It has no clutch or shifting and yet it looks and feels like a REAL motorcycle. Its easy to use, easy to recharge, and just a whole bunch of fun. If you have  ???, I can give you a "girls" perspective. FYI, I am 5'8" and weigh 150lbs. Im also 55yrs old!      Enertia-ette

Was thinking of a couple other things. Best Buy has a finance plan that is pretty sweet with $2K down and monthlys. It could make your purchase more palatable than buying from a different company. Also, Best Buy has a rewards card that gives you around $160 back and is available after 3 or 4 weeks needed to activate. Dont know if that extends to financed purchases however, that could be used for a portion of the shipping, should Best Buy decide to help you out. If they have a store near you, perhaps they could ship to the local store with another regular shipment. I know they are SO helpful when trying to accomodate the customer. I have no doubt you will be very happy with the bike...at just under 400 lbs, it is more than manageable.

« Last Edit: April 20, 2010, 01:57:38 PM by enertia-ette »

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2010, 02:06:02 PM »
Go to the "bikes for sale" section and see what they say there about Best Buy shipping anywhere in the USA. That might be a good place to start and ask what the return policys are.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 05:16:14 PM »
Hey, New Rider,
I wonder if Brammo or Best Buy would ship a bike to you.

Yes, they will. I had mine shipped from an OR Best Buy for a little over $500.

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2010, 07:27:06 PM »
And, you can use the rewards points for some of that...YES??

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 09:29:08 PM »
Yes, in theory, but I spent the actual $170 in reward point cash on other things like a wireless router and wireless adapters that were on sale. The purchase immediately gets you silver status in the program at Best Buy. The reward points kick in 30 days after the sale. I had great luck in financing my bike through HSBC which does the retail credit/financing for Best Buy customers.