Author Topic: Just bought this chain cleaner...  (Read 5996 times)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Just bought this chain cleaner...
« on: June 23, 2011, 01:53:27 PM »
I figured my chain could use a good cleaning, as I just turned 1,000 miles. :)
... I'll let you know how it works:

By the way, I got it from cyclegear.com.

The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought this chain cleaner...
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2011, 06:14:22 PM »
You know you got the good stuff when the bottle says "Extreme Danger" really big...

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 06:24:07 PM »
LOL It's mostly kerosene.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2011, 02:29:07 PM »
I have been using a few different products to clean the chain.

One recent cleaning included WD-40 first to remove the oil/grease/chain wax and then concentrated Simple Green to remove the WD-40 and anything it left behind. It is a trick that worked well for my mountain bike chain.

I am curious to see how that chain cleaner works for you, Brammofan. 

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2011, 05:05:53 PM »
I have been using WD40 and an old rag (which you will need to throw away afterward) for years to clean my chains. It works really well. I don't worry too much about wiping it off, I just coat the chain with chain lubricant after I am done cleaning. If the chain is really dirty, you can use an old soft tooth bush to clean around the links and O-rings.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

werm_works

• Empulse Guru
    • AOL Instant Messenger - jeffyyaki
    • Yahoo Instant Messenger - vespa_1004
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2011, 02:55:08 PM »
I've been using Motul Chain clean and it works like a breeze it just melts out everything, I normally use half a can when I clean my chain and tons of paper towel I snatch from a local gas station, I would suggest you ride your gasoline powered motorcycle when you go get the towels and at least gas up a bit there too lol

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2011, 11:27:13 AM »
I finally got around to using the TIROX cleaner with the brush that you thread onto the chain.  I don't have anything to compare it with (never cleaned a bicycle chain in my life), but it did the job well. 
The basic steps:
*  Put down a bunch of newspaper (I did this in my garage but would probably use the driveway next time as it's a messy job).  Next time I will probably try to shield the tire from the spray as well. 
* Spray a few inches of the chain, turn the back tire, spray, turn, repeat, until the whole chain has been sprayed. 
* Spray the sprocket. 
* Put down the can, go inside and pop open a beer.  Drink slowly.  Wait 10 minutes.
* Thread the cool spiral brush onto the chain.
* Move the tire while holding the brush.  You'll probably have to go around a few times until you're satisfied that the gunk is off.
* Rinse the chain and sprocket with water.  The directions call for a "jet" of water.  I used a spray bottle set on "stream" and it seemed to get it pretty clean. 
* Wipe the chain dry with a towel or your wife's new scarf, depending on how long you want to live.
* Make sure the chain is dry (maybe pop open another beer, unless you're a lightweight.)
* Lube the chain - I use that DuPont Multi Use lube with Teflon, as recommended elsewhere on this forum.

SocalTech

• Enciter
  • My next bike
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2011, 01:29:40 PM »
I've been using Motul Chain clean and it works like a breeze it just melts out everything, I normally use half a can when I clean my chain and tons of paper towel I snatch from a local gas station, I would suggest you ride your gasoline powered motorcycle when you go get the towels and at least gas up a bit there too lol

Werm is using the best method, its the same i use with the Grunge Brush which you can get at any motorcycle dealer, except i use rags that i can wash afterwards.

Brammowannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2011, 07:38:36 AM »
Obviously it depends on driving conditions, but how often do you need to clean it roughy

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2011, 09:49:16 AM »
Probably about every 1,000 miles.

SocalTech

• Enciter
  • My next bike
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2012, 03:07:22 PM »

I agree, motul is by far the best and used with the grunge brush keeps the chain at its best

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2012, 09:49:16 AM »

Ok...I have officially joined the club of the grease monkeys....

I have "cleaned" the chain before...but this time I did it right (ride bike to warm up chain, apply lots of chain cleaner, let soak, grunge brush, wipe down with garage rag, thin layer of lube, let sit for 30 mins)...

What a difference...I am mildly addicted now and will probably clean my chain almost as often as Brammo suggests...ok, not THAT often...

But the ride feels smoother and quieter and just NICER...

Of course the chain did get pretty dirty when I went on that ride in the 47 mph sustained winds...LOTS OF DUST...so she did need a good cleaning.

I do need either a tire lift or center stand...cleaning your chain without either of those is a much more involved task.

Luckily I think you can get a center stand with the Plus...but I haven't seen one yet....

Gavin

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2012, 10:47:24 AM »
I have the same chain cleaning tools and they work OK, but that Grunge Brush gives me pause. It works fine on a "heavy duty" non-O-ring chain, but I worry that the stiff bristles will damage the soft rubber O-rings on an O-ring chain.  I think I prefer to use an old tooth brush to clean an O-ring chain. It takes longer, but is a lot easier on the rings.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 12:40:32 PM »
Reading about stands on this other post got me thinking about cleaning the chain...

I recently cleaned the chains for a couple of bicycles using two methods. Both chains has a significant amount of fine sand / dust on them that was causing a sinister grinding sound when pedaling, which is why I was cleaning them.

Process for chain 1:
Using a toothbrush, I tried brushing the dirt off.
There was still a lot of dirt.
I sprayed some WD-40 along the chain and then using a toothpick, tried to push the dirt away.
I wiped off any remaining dirt with a cloth.
Results:
20 minutes later, the chain was cleaner, but still had dirt. :(

Process for chain 2.
I used a pressure washer to blast the dirt off the chain and the gears.
Then I sprayed on some chain wax to lubricate the chain again.
Results:
5 minutes later, I had a chain that was very clean and lubed. :)

Using the pressure washer worked great. Is that something that I can do with a motorcycle chain?

Does anybody have information about the merits and risks of using a high pressure washer on a motorcycle chain?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 01:01:37 PM »
You can do that with a non-O-ring chain, but you don't want to use a pressure washer on an O-ring chain. That would blow moisture past the O-rings and dilute the factory lubrication in the chain links and might also damage the O-rings. Your chain life would be significantly reduced.

P.S. in the good ole days, we would take our chains off our motorcycles (before the invention of O-rings), clean them in gasoline (dumping it into the gutter afterwards, of course), then drop the chain into a pot of boiling grease on the stove, let it cook for a while and hang the the chain up to cool off and dry.  Boy was that fun. It did a great job of lubricating the chain, but those pots were sure tough to clean and you had to make sure that you didn't use that pot to make soup for dinner.   :o