Author Topic: Just bought this chain cleaner...  (Read 5997 times)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Just bought this chain cleaner...
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 01:37:41 PM »

I recently cleaned the chains for a couple of bicycles using two methods. Both chains has a significant amount of fine sand / dust on them that was causing a sinister grinding sound when pedaling, which is why I was cleaning them.

Process for chain 1:
Using a toothbrush, I tried brushing the dirt off.
There was still a lot of dirt.
I sprayed some WD-40 along the chain and then using a toothpick, tried to push the dirt away.
I wiped off any remaining dirt with a cloth.
Results:
20 minutes later, the chain was cleaner, but still had dirt. :(

Process for chain 2.
I used a pressure washer to blast the dirt off the chain and the gears.
Then I sprayed on some chain wax to lubricate the chain again.
Results:
5 minutes later, I had a chain that was very clean and lubed. :)

Using the pressure washer worked great. Is that something that I can do with a motorcycle chain?

My inner bicycle mechanic just cringed.  Both methods are bad.  Even if you spray chain wax on after power washing with water, you stand a very good chance of trapping water or WD-40 inside the chain.

You are much better off using a non-water based, non-residue cleaner, like White Lighting Clean Streak.  If it is so dirty that you need a brush, use a dedicated chain cleaner tool like the one in this link: 

http://www.whitelightningco.com/products/trigger.htm

Then follow up with a non-spray wax lube like one of their clean ride/epic ride/wet ride products and wipe off the excess with a rag.  Whatever you do, you don't want over-spray from WD-40 or wax spray lube getting anywhere near your brake rotors or pads.  If that happens enough, your pads can get ruined. 

Sorry I can't translate that bicycle knowledge into anything smart regarding a motorcycle chain.  I'm the absolute worst at maintaining my motorcycle chain.  I just keep putting more and more foaming wax lube on....

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 02:22:07 PM »
Even if you spray chain wax on after power washing with water, you stand a very good chance of trapping water or WD-40 inside the chain.

What are your thoughts on using steam, that evaporates very quickly after applying it, to a motorcycle chain?
I use it on the original, non-Oring chain of the Enertia Classic.

I use pressurized steam, on the first pass, to clean off oil, dirt and grime before I use an old toothbrush & WD-40. I then wipe the chain dry and apply chain lube. I then take it for a 10 minute ride to heat up the chain, then apply chain wax to melt the wax onto the chain.

I have not noticed any rust or chain damage as a result of using steam, but I suppose there is some risk.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:22:01 PM by Phantom »

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 02:38:50 PM »
On my Gixxer (and past bikes) I have always kept it simple. Clean with Kerosene and lube with Dupont Teflon... o-ring safe, and doesnt fling. Never had an issue... super cheap, super simple.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 04:30:55 PM »

What are your thoughts on using steam, that evaporates very quickly after applying it, to a motorcycle chain?

I've got no idea.  Bicycles I know.  I worked summers in High School as a bike mechanic, and raced competitively in college.  I like to think that I've got enough knowledge there that I'm qualified to comment as a bicycle mechanic.  Motorcycles are a whole 'nuther story.  I'm purely a back-yard hacker when it comes to motorcycles.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 06:27:26 PM »
... you stand a very good chance of trapping water or WD-40 inside the chain.

I hadn't thought of trapping water in the chain. Since I live in Florida, I just expect the humidity to keep things wet most of the time, so I didn't consider a bit more water making a difference. Perhaps the high pressure might get the water in places that it doesn't normally go. Oh well.

What's the issue with WD-40 in the chain? Is that bad?
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 07:11:36 PM »
In my experience, WD40 works great to clean a chain and I have used it for years for that purpose. But the stuff does not lubricate, so I follow the cleaning with chain lube. Some people worry that the WD40 will get past the O-rings and dilute the factory lube, but that is not my opinion. I think it helps keep the O-rings pliable. Some people also believe that WD40 works as a chain lube, but I am not one of them.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 08:43:01 PM »
... you stand a very good chance of trapping water or WD-40 inside the chain.

I hadn't thought of trapping water in the chain. Since I live in Florida, I just expect the humidity to keep things wet most of the time, so I didn't consider a bit more water making a difference. Perhaps the high pressure might get the water in places that it doesn't normally go. Oh well.

What's the issue with WD-40 in the chain? Is that bad?

WD-40 breaks down wax-based lubes.  If you were using a petroleum-based bicycle chain lube, the WD-40 wouldn't be a problem.   You mentioned you were using Chain Wax, so that's why I suggested a non-residue cleaner.  The next thing you know, the wax will all be off again, and you'll be repeating putting the wax back on again.  Next thing you know, all you are doing all summer is wax on, wax off, wax on, wax off....

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2012, 08:46:18 AM »
Ah ha! You've finally outed yourself, 1416.

I'm not too worried about getting the wax off, since I don't clean my bicycle chain very often. I don't normally cycle in sand, so my chain doesn't normally get that dirty. I'll apply some more chain wax (or some other lubricant) before I go cycling again.

I didn't know that o-ring chains had factory lube. Interesting...
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2012, 09:47:03 AM »
That is the really big advantage to O-ring chains. The factory inserts grease into the chain pins when the chains are assembled and then seals the grease (more less) permanently into the chain with the O-rings. In theory, you don't need to lubricate an O-ring chain, but lubrication does help to prevent rust on the outside of the chain, helps to protect and keep the rubber O-rings pliable and helps to reduce wear on the chain sprockets.

O-ring chains have also helped the chain manufacturers profit margins.   :o
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.