Author Topic: Six Speed Empulse - It's official(?)  (Read 6353 times)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Six Speed Empulse - It's official(?)
« on: July 23, 2011, 12:06:48 PM »
On ev-olution's webpage:
Brammo developing racing version of Empulse electric motorcycle for exclusive use in TTXGP World Championship 2013 program.
Electric motorcycle maker Brammo, in partnership with TTXGP, will develop a racing version of its six-speed Empulse, called the Empulse TTX, for exclusive use of teams racing in the TTXGP World Championship 2013 worldwide program.

Is that the official word then? The Empulse will have a six-speed transmision? Or is that just the Empules TTX? Or perhaps it's a miscommunication or wishful thinking from ev-olution.
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Six Speed Empulse - It's official(?)
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 12:21:46 PM »
There are many websites that have the same information. The source appears to be Business Wire.

Considering that many of the websites that are carrying the story appear on Brammo's twitter page, I figure that it's pretty official.

I hope we'll see a suave marketing video featuring a six-speed Empulse soon! Even better would be to get an email saying that my Empulse is on the way. (Ooh, now I sound like Gavin. :P)
Richard #935 #595 #44

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 01:03:54 PM »
Even more evidence:

http://gas2.org/2011/07/23/photo-gallery-friday-epowerttxgp/
I had an uplifting chat with Brammo's Adrian Stewart who told me about the extremely high level of quality control and depth of knowledge at the factory they're using. Because they're adding a 6-speed gearbox to the Empulse, the release has been delayed.

I suppose it's not really a surprise to anybody (on this forum), but this is the first time that I had heard any official news that a six speed Empulse was going to be made.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 05:47:54 PM »
I had the same sort of conversation at Infineon Raceway earlier this year. I was told that Brammo was definitely going to put the 6-speed transmission in the Empulse and there were obviously some resulting technical issues that needed to be worked out before the bike could be sold to the public. One big issue is how to control motor revs while shifting between gears.

While Brammo works out the transmission issues, we cool our heels and post messages here to keep our spirits up while we wait for the bike to arrive.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Mr.Rodgers

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2011, 10:35:33 AM »
Even more evidence:

I had an uplifting chat with Brammo's Adrian Stewart who told me about the extremely high level of quality control and depth of knowledge at the factory they're using. Because they're adding a 6-speed gearbox to the Empulse, the release has been delayed.

I suppose it's not really a surprise to anybody (on this forum), but this is the first time that I had heard any official news that a six speed Empulse was going to be made.

Is that a non-red Empulse?!?!?  Exciting!
(somewhat)Patiently waiting

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2011, 12:32:50 PM »
Even more evidence:

Is that a non-red Empulse?!?!?  Exciting!

Wow, I really like the white color. Didnt think it would look good, but there it is and it looks great! Looking forward to seeing the production version with the Brammo designed headlight. This still borrows the headlight from the Yamaha I believe.

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2011, 05:16:53 PM »
But these little titbits keep us going.
So very true.

The Empulse on display was more of a light silver color.  And yes, it looked great and it had the upright bars rather than the clip ons.  If it hadn't been up on the pedestal, I was going to nab it for a quick ride, but no dice.

The Engage and Encite looked pretty good too.  All the Brammo folks that had ridden them said they were damn fun to ride and that Craig had been riding the Engage A LOT. :)

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:22:03 PM by Brammofan »

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2011, 12:07:38 PM »
But these little titbits keep us going.

So very true.

The Empulse on display was more of a light silver color.  And yes, it looked great and it had the upright bars rather than the clip ons.  If it hadn't been up on the pedestal, I was going to nab it for a quick ride, but no dice.

The Engage and Encite looked pretty good too.  All the Brammo folks that had ridden them said they were damn fun to ride and that Craig had been riding the Engage A LOT.

« Last Edit: July 25, 2011, 06:22:03 PM by Brammofan »

Did you mean to reply/quote? I think you inadvertently edited my post ...
long day? :P

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2011, 12:15:58 PM »
Fuggity fug fug.

I am SO sorry.  I thought I did hit reply/quote. 

And yes, it was a long day after a series of long days with short nights.  Got home about 2am last night and got up at 7.  The only things that got me out of bed and moving were: coffee and the opportunity to ride into work.  :)

I was going to fix the missfire, above, but I kind of like the sense of instant credibility and "insider-ness" it gives you.  I'm a giver, you know.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2011, 02:18:18 PM »
Fuggity fug fug.

I am SO sorry.  I thought I did hit reply/quote. 

And yes, it was a long day after a series of long days with short nights.  Got home about 2am last night and got up at 7.  The only things that got me out of bed and moving were: coffee and the opportunity to ride into work.  :)
I know just what you mean man, been the same for me, unfortunately I can't ride yet, (at the risk of sounding like Gavin:P, I don't have my empulse yet)
I was going to fix the missfire, above, but I kind of like the sense of instant credibility and "insider-ness" it gives you.  I'm a giver, you know.
HAHA, how kind of you, I literally LMAOed in my cube when I read that...

badamsfx

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2011, 10:44:57 PM »
So what effect will a multispeed transmission have? Any chance it will extend the range?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2011, 08:00:40 AM »
You may be able to pop a wheelie, since you will be able to get a lot more torque! ;D

You might also be able to get a bit more range, but only if you use the gears correctly (just like an ICE.)
Richard #935 #595 #44

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2011, 12:05:57 PM »
I spoke with the Brammo officials at Laguna Seca last month - they confirmed that the Empulse will have a transmission. Unfortunately they also confirmed that the production is delayed on the Empulse, with a target date of next summer...

When I spoke with Brammo officials in May (at Sear's Point) I was told that they would have some prototypes at the dealerships by the end of this summer, but at Laguna Seca I was told that this has now been targeted "by the end of the year".

Cross your fingers   ;)

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2011, 01:23:50 PM »
Quoting delivery dates is tricky  (we are now very close to the magic 1000 pre-orders).
If you pre-order an Empulse today clearly you will be at the end of a long line !
The first time the final design appears in public will probably be at EICMA in November.
The first bikes from production will go into long term high mileage testing.
The second group will be used for homologation and type approval in USA/Europe/Asia
The next group will be made available to the media for review.
Then bikes will go to dealers in the different regions N America/ Europe / Asia
The dealers will deliver in the order the bikes were pre-ordered, some customers may want to delay their delivery, if this happens other pre-orders will move up the line.
Everyone who has pre-ordered will be kept full informed via the Empulse Newsletter and they will be contacted by their local dealer 90 days before their Empulse goes into production.

Rest assured delivering the Empulse in volume is our #1 priority.
Adrian

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2011, 03:47:12 PM »
Here's a plot of the Enertia with a simulated IET. I'm just using the Enertia to illustrate the benefit of an IET because we have dyno data for the Enertia -- the Enertia and Enerta Plus are unlikely to use an IET.

[smg id=283 width=500]

4th gear is basically identical to the single-gear direct-drive transmission of the existing Enertia.

This particular IET configuration improves power in the 0-30 mph range by 20-30%, and increases top speed from 60 mph to 75+ mph. Note that 75 mph (WOT) on the Enertia would deplete the batteries in about 15 minutes or < 20 miles.

For this particular application (low-power commuter), a six speed transmission is overkill. Gears 2 and 4 are basically useless, you wouldn't spend more than a second or two in each gear. Six speeds may be more useful in the Empulse.

Keep in mind too that the IET will add weight (~20 lbs?), cost (~$1k?), packaging to the bike. I suspect IET will be less efficient than a direct-drive transmission; range might drop by a few percent. Suppose the Enertia Plus was available in a $9k direct-drive configuration and a $10k IET configuration.. wouldn't you rather spend the $10k on an Empulse 6.0?
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 03:52:31 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/