Author Topic: Kill-a-Watt meter  (Read 5094 times)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Kill-a-Watt meter
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2012, 11:09:02 AM »
If you put a thousand miles on the E+ per month @ 130 Wh/mile, you should expect to see your utility bill rise by 130 kWh. If you're in the second tier @ $0.137/kWh then your monthly electricity bill will go up by about $18, or about 1.8 cents per mile.

A full recharge (60-80 miles) from empty will probably use around 7 kWh, or around $0.96 in the second tier pricing.

I'm getting about 120 Wh/mile at the plug when I ride at 45-50 mph, and about 130-135 Wh/mile with a small amount of freeway riding (rode 5 miles on the interstate yesterday heading to a dinner and a movie with friends).
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:13:10 AM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Kill-a-Watt meter
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2012, 11:27:44 AM »
I use a Kill-A-Watt and I love the thing! I hooked it up to just about everything in the house... We are not actively miserly with electronics usage, and we stick around 400-450kWh/month. The goal is to setup our electronics, and our house to do the miserly stuff for us so we dont feel inconvenienced.

In the winter, we have the thermostat set to 60 degrees, but we use electric blankets and layers to keep us quite comfortable. My home media server is setup to go to sleep between 11pm and 9am, it only uses 35W at full tilt anyway. All of our appliances are energy saving. All of our lights are CFL or LED. During the summer we use a whole house fan during the cooler hours and seal up the house during the hot hours... so no AC usage here and things stay very comfortable unless its 95+ outside then we will use a little AC from time to time.

One thing the Kill-A-Watt found was that the 3 DirecTV receivers that we had where always using 45W even when not in use. That alone was accounting for 100kWh/month, so we got rid of them and just use OTA + Hulu + Netflix using Roku boxes that use 3W to 6W. Our 5kWh PV system produces about 650kWh average a month, so we should be sized just right after we get my Brammo Empulse this summer and my wife's Tesla Model X a few years from now.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 11:29:15 AM by EmpulseBuyer »