Author Topic: A first ride report  (Read 2588 times)

CBke

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
A first ride report
« on: October 03, 2011, 04:36:47 PM »
CBke

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A first ride report
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2011, 08:08:15 PM »
Skadamo and I have been on Nikki's podcast before.  She's great!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2011, 09:17:19 AM »
Overall a nice little report...and I do like Nikki...

But I wonder if others have the slow driving issues that she did?

I would ask Fan, but he doesn't do any lane splitting...

Cali people, any issues?

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2011, 09:20:24 AM »
The limited steering lock on the Enertia has been a sore point that has been repeatedly mentioned in reviews. The Enertia Plus should have more range lock-to-lock.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2011, 11:36:55 AM »
Yeah, I don't like the lock to lock, but it's only ever mattered to me during parking. 

I confess that, when I back into the narrow space between the front of my Honda Pilot and the garage shelves, I pivot the bike on the kickstand. 

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2011, 05:34:08 PM »
The 2012 Enertia which is in Europe now and arrives in the US shortly has a number of changes that you will also see on the Enertia Plus. Low speed maneuverability is much improved.

EU and UK homologation and Bold New Colors !

New motor controller allowing for greater configuration options and more robust communications with the Vehicle Control Unit.  This change is mostly transparent to you the customer, it may provide room for growth into "sport" or "economy" driving maps in the future.

New forged triple clamp with much improved steering lock and slightly modified geometry and ergonomics.  Reduced trail plus the increased lock makes for a dramatic improvement to low-speed maneuverability, without sacrificing any stability at speed.  The handle bar position is roughly 1" higher and 1" back towards the rider which was judged to be more comfortable for a wide variety of rider shapes and sizes.

New cast aluminum headlamp brackets clean up the aesthetic of the front end and make servicing to any of the parts in that assembly much easier (i.e. more room for tools).  They also reposition the dash closer to the triple clamp and change the angle slightly. The new brackets were also designed to accept accessories like the windscreen with a simple bolt-on kit.

New upgraded motor. The power level is the same, but the motor features greater efficiency which reduces the heat generated, allowing more performance to be pulled out of the bike.

New auto-start module integration - The Enertia now starts with the key switch and does not require the button press.  The start button has been replaced with a tasteful stamped aluminum Brammo bull head badge. 

The Enertia also charges when plugged in to AC power, no special key position or steps required.

New mirrors and new handlebar grips.
Adrian

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2011, 05:41:11 PM »
Wha--?
 :o

Thanks for the heads up!  8)

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2011, 05:57:54 PM »
More efficient motor is very good news. How's the noise level while charging - can it be done reasonably in an occupied room now?

Any chance we'll see an SDK or interface specs published for the motor controller? Even a "that's under consideration" would be great : )

Is the 2012 Enertia retaining the "Enertia Plus" designation, or is the old Enertia model being dropped? (retaining it after existing stock has been sold has never made sense to me, at least at the current price points)

Does the European Enertia still use the Valence U-Charge 12XP packs? Does it have the same onboard charger, or does it use a larger charger to charge at 230V?
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2011, 07:20:41 PM »
Very cool...new colors? New mirrors?  Photos??  :)

As for Enertia, I can see keeping it...one, price is very important to some...if they have a small commute, the Enertia non plus might be a good option...I do think that Brammo should drop the price a bit more once the Plus is out and selling well...500 less....a grand would be better but probably not cost effective.

Gavin

Ps...photos?

Pss...still volunteering to be a test rider :).  More than happy to thrash test an Encite or Engage for ya.

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2011, 01:39:04 PM »
The Enertia with a range of 40+ miles will live on as a 2012 model with all the enhancements I listed previously. 
The Enertia Plus will have all the enhancements listed and the new Brammo Battery packs giving a range of 80+ miles.
We were delighted to see that one of our test riders recently did a 51 mile ride on a 2012 Enertia and he is over 200 lbs. It was an urban ride so as you might expect at urban speeds. Still as he has done over 10,000 miles on the previous Enertia we have good base line data to show this is a real improvement.
Adrian

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2011, 01:48:50 PM »
Sweet...thanks...so the Plus could maybe pull 100 city miles...

Is the Enertia also getting Brammo Batteries (just 3 vs 6 for the Plus)?

Gavin

Ps...tester? And not me? Grrrrrrrrr, I guess my resume got lost in the mail :)

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2011, 03:25:03 PM »
Ah, if it's the "tester" I met at Laguna Seca, he's actually a Brammo employee of long standing.  He had lots of ideas about riding philosophies or ways of riding that make the most use of the batteries.  Someday, he's going to come on this forum and share those with us.