YES! I did it and it REALLY needed it. I had about 2" of play - no wonder it went clankety-clank when I went over bumps.
Following the instructions, I removed the cotter pin, loosened the 27mm axle nut (had to buy the socket for this), loosened the locknuts on the adjuster bolts and started turning the adjusters...the wrong way. Figured this out pretty quickly, turned them the right way, measured the slack -- still too much, turned some more, measured, some more, etc. and then, I measured the distance from the axle center to the swingarm pivot center and it was equal. Tightened the lock nuts, tightened the axle nut (with my torque wrench), and inserted a new cotter pin into the axle to hold the castellated nut. (Thanks Dad, for teaching me what that means, and that it has no relevance to castrated nuts).
This morning - no more clankety-clank. Now that I know how to do it, I'm going to be watching the slack a lot closer.
I highly recommend that all motorcycle owners do this maintenance - If I can do it (and not screw it up), any moron can.
EDIT: and yes, I lubed it with the DuPont chain wax, too.