Author Topic: First Ride of 2012.  (Read 3553 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
First Ride of 2012.
« on: January 01, 2012, 07:28:11 PM »
Did anyone beat me to it, or are these photos evidence of the first Enertia miles of 2012? 

Had a nice, but brisk 25 mile ride through the backroads of scenic Talent, Oregon.  They like to put this red granite rock all over the road surface out here which creates quite a mess, but I was able to stay out of it as the cages had cleared a nice single track through it.  The Enertia always impresses me with how confidence inspiring it is in these kinds of nasty conditions.  I suspect it's a combination of the upright ergos, relatively light weight, and linear (and direct) nature of the power delivery.  Anyone else feel the same? 

Oh, and... Happy New Year Brammo Owners Forum! 

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: First Ride of 2012.
« Reply #1 on: January 01, 2012, 10:21:46 PM »
Nice....

I was out at 11:30 AM, 10:30 your time.

Didn't take many photos as I was not doing anything interesting...just hitting the Blackbird for Sunday brunch.

Getting some free juice from the lamppost socket...

And joining me are a couple of scooter friends...

Happy New Year to all....

Gavin

Rode home on the highway...9 miles at 60 plus. Handled well. Did ride over quite a few milled roads and she has a little play in the tires. Nothing to keep me off the road, but I kinda dislike milled roads at speed on light bikes.

But yes she has great balance.

Ps...if you get tired of your Plus anytime soon.....
« Last Edit: January 01, 2012, 10:27:48 PM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 01:06:25 AM »

Mmm, Brian's Plus...

Let's count the mods...

1). Side bags

2). Carbon front fender

3). Bar end mirror

4). New rear shock.

5). New grips.

6). A few stickers on the side panels....

Any others?

I would love to see a video of the turning radius / steering lock movement of the 2012 plus vs the 2009 Enertia.

Gavin

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 02:17:34 PM »
Did anyone beat me to it, or are these photos evidence of the first Enertia miles of 2012? 

It looks like you and Gavin had the first rides of 2012. The temperatures in my garage were below freezing lately, so I have held off riding. I probably have a few months to wait for better temperatures.

The Enertia always impresses me with how confidence inspiring it is in these kinds of nasty conditions.  I suspect it's a combination of the upright ergos, relatively light weight, and linear (and direct) nature of the power delivery.  Anyone else feel the same? 

Yes, I agree. I feel that I have a lot of control over the my Enertia and it stands up to quite a lot of conditions. A small portion of one of my commuting routes is on a gravel road with loads of pot holes and places where the road needs to be repaired. I dodge the poor road conditions with little effort and I am able to really get the exact power I need using the throttle. I like that it is a light weight bike and that it is easy to keep it balanced.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 02:31:20 PM »

Mmm, Brian's Plus...

Let's count the mods...

1). Side bags
2). Carbon front fender
3). Bar end mirror
4). New rear shock.
5). New grips.
6).. A few stickers on the side panels....

Any others?

7 ). Reflective tape on the tires
8 ). Brake mod  ~Magura 195 radial master (replaced the Brembo master cylinder)
9 ). New bar ends (unless you are counting these too, as new grips)

It does look like a Plus, but it could be his modified Enertia, carbon-fiber version.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 06:32:37 PM »
Looks like a + after Enertia...but kinda blurry...

Went to the East Mountain to take some photos with green in them.

I do need a Plus...I just go toooooo many miles :)

First stop...Subway for some grub and Juice...

The Sandia Mountains from the south....Lots of huge pine trees up there, but I don't have the range to go to the top from my house...again, doable with the Plus and will take some lovely photos when I get mine (or steal Brian's :) )

more images of a fun twisty ride south of the Sandia Mountain...we camp up here and it's great...

and in keeping with my rebel theme...you better believe I entered....

Gavin

did a little, not much, but a little ice riding...

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2012, 04:14:25 AM »
Honestly Brian, I think it is the solid feeling front end.  Even after riding my roommate's Daytona 675, I think the Enertia I rode at Miller had the most solid feeling front end I've ever experienced.  The balanced geometry and properly tuned suspension, coupled with the smooth motor out put doing little to nothing to upset either the suspension or chassis, would be what I feel contributes to it's easy to control nature.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2012, 09:48:13 AM »
Rode in yesterday, mid 30s. Riding in today.

Looking forward to the first electric ride of 2012 : )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2012, 11:21:23 AM »
Dang!  Sounds like Gavin had me beat by about 1 hour, but I'll chalk that up to being on the West Coast...

My personal bike is not a Plus (yet!), but good eyes to catch the decal on the side.  Since I'm laying out the graphics for the Plus, I did some experimentation with my personal bike.  Also... I have to admit that I love the E+ logo and just wanted one! ;)

Pretty comprehensive list of my mods/upgrades, but here are a couple I didn't see mentioned:

- HID headlight conversion
- Carbon fiber headlight "bucket"
- Carbon fiber rear fender

The Plus testing has yielded some impressive results on range stemming from improved system level efficiency as well as the much larger battery capacity.  The higher battery bus voltage vs. the Enertia Classic is a big benefit.  Looking forward to getting more info on the bike out there soon... I'll see if I can sneak some testing photos out here to this group.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2012, 12:01:04 PM »
The Plus testing has yielded some impressive results on range stemming from improved system level efficiency as well as the much larger battery capacity.  The higher battery bus voltage vs. the Enertia Classic is a big benefit.  Looking forward to getting more info on the bike out there soon... I'll see if I can sneak some testing photos out here to this group.

Would love any and all info and photos...Thanks!

Great to hear about the range...I love the Enertia for commuting, perfect for that...but my longer rides have taken a lot more planning...

The upside is I have to be more social and talk to people to see about charging...the really amazing thing is that so far NOBODY has told me no...and often they go out of their way to find me some plug time.

I have also found that the battery management is extremely linear from full to about 35% (the first 5 miles on a full battery is about 14% battery usage at my typical riding. The next 5 miles is about 14%, the 3rd 5 miles is 14% etc etc), but then is more variable below 35% charge**...maybe because i ride in the cold? But my test bike likes a full battery more than a low battery.

Gavin

**example...I get to work at about 86% charge. I come out after work and start up bike and charge is 86%...and it is a very predicable decline in battery as I drive....but once I get to around 35% it will drop much quicker and I can go from 35 to 25 or even 20% very fast. But if I stop the bike that number will go up (usually just stopping doesn't increase battery :) ). I've sat at a longish light and watched my battery go from 15% to 16, 17, 18%. Or if I stop at a friends for a half hour and I come outside the battery has gone from 20% up to 30%---which is where it should have been if it didn't drop faster than normal...mmmm, I probably need to explain this better. Basically it gets kinda confused at lower battery charge and will think it is lower than it really is...which i guess is better than thinking it has more charge than it does...

« Last Edit: January 05, 2012, 12:26:49 PM by Gavin »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2012, 01:38:52 PM »
The Plus testing has yielded some impressive results on range stemming from improved system level efficiency as well as the much larger battery capacity.  The higher battery bus voltage vs. the Enertia Classic is a big benefit.

This is the second time I've seen Brian mention the impressive range of the Plus...I wonder if that means more than the 80 miles quoted on the Brammo site....and if so, just how much more?

Gavin

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2012, 01:50:36 PM »
No idea. It may do better at high speeds (50-60 mph) as the batteries will be less stressed.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: January 05, 2012, 04:08:43 PM »
**example...I get to work at about 86% charge. I come out after work and start up bike and charge is 86%...and it is a very predicable decline in battery as I drive....but once I get to around 35% it will drop much quicker and I can go from 35 to 25 or even 20% very fast. But if I stop the bike that number will go up (usually just stopping doesn't increase battery :) ). I've sat at a longish light and watched my battery go from 15% to 16, 17, 18%. Or if I stop at a friends for a half hour and I come outside the battery has gone from 20% up to 30%---which is where it should have been if it didn't drop faster than normal...mmmm, I probably need to explain this better. Basically it gets kinda confused at lower battery charge and will think it is lower than it really is...which i guess is better than thinking it has more charge than it does...

This is my experience, too. I will get down to 12% remaining battery, stop at a stoplight, and see my remaining range jump back up to 30%. I think the math get weird when the software senses that you could run out of charge.

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2012, 04:10:51 PM »
ah....good to know I'm not the only one...

yeah, software seems really consistent above 30%, a bit wacky below.

Gavin

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2012, 07:06:57 PM »
I may be talking out my butt here a bit, but I don't think so.  I believe what you are seeing is the performance curve of the batteries.  When they get to a low state of charge, different batteries behave differently, but when you are putting any stress on them at that low of SoC they will lose power rapidly, and then when you remove that stress they will act like they are better.  I don't think it's the software.  I think it is what the batteries are actually doing.