Author Topic: Ask a Brammo  (Read 9034 times)

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
Re: Ask a Brammo
« Reply #30 on: November 19, 2010, 10:17:14 AM »
What technical roadblocks exist that prevent the Empulse and Enertia (especially Plus) from charging on a standard DC fast charger? (if one exists - the Volt and MiEV have different branded chargers, not sure if they are standard interfaces)

I believe there is no "standard" fast charger.  The issue is whether the vehicle has an "on-board" fast charger that converts mains voltage and current to the DC voltage and current required to charge the battery (along with the thermal management of that system) or it exists as an "off-board" charger as with the Mitsubishi that does this conversion and then just presents DC voltage and current to the battery pack through a "bypass" (around the on-board 110V charger) circuit.   Unless there become standards for battery pack voltage and charging rates, then it is unlikely that such an off-board fast charger would be standard across two vehicles.  You're basically talking about a high power programmable power supply, in which you could change the output voltage and current depending on which vehicle you're charging.  Most manufacturers would probably advise against that due to the potential of charging a vehicle at the wrong voltage and current and damaging the battery pack.   

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #31 on: November 19, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
Perhaps he means the 220/240v Level 2 charging.

As for Level 3 fast charging (30 minutes to fill a LEAF or iMiEV)... There are hundreds of those in japan, some just now coming to the US...Nissan is especially working hard to get them as low cost as possible ( a 50k fast charger is now going for around 17k thanks to Nissan)...these chargers will charge a LEAF or iMIEV or any car with the level three connector. (edit...I think the LEAF has on board conversion)

I don't think motorcycles need level three at this time (let the car companies bring the product up to scale and bring the costs down), but I do think a motorcycle with 6kWh of batteries or more (like the empulse especially, but the plus too) should have level 2 charging...at least as a option.

In the not so distant future I can see motorcycles having 10 to 15 kWh of batteries and level three charging and boom suddenly you have electric motorcycles that are able to go touring...drive for 120 miles or so...stop to stretch legs and such and charge for 20 minutes...hop back on and drive 120 miles...rinse and repeat till butt is sore.

Commuter bikes today. Touring bikes within ten years. Fun time to be making electric vehicles. :)

For me?
  Enertia plus will be replacing my 150cc 2 stroke scooter. I love her dearly, but she is dirty and uses gas..mid 2011, or hopefully sooner...I would buy it today if possible :) hint hint

2012 or 2013, will be adding either a fiat 500 ev or Honda fit ev as my city car. Likely the fiat as it is soooo damn pretty. But will check out the honda as it is hella practical and ok looking and will likely last a billion years.

Around that same time my wife will be replacing her Camry with a plug in hybrid.
We will be an almost gasless family at that point ( no snide jokes please).

At that point only my touring scooter will be gas only... hopefully in 5 yrs or so I can replace that with a Brammo touring powercycle that has a 150-200 mile range and 30 minute fast charging...

Then I would be all set until we get electric-solar jet packs....mmmm jet pack commuting for the win.

Gavin
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 12:19:47 PM by Gavin »

GeorgeS

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 19, 2010, 12:30:12 PM »
Brian,
At least give me a 0.5C, 220V off board charger.

Thx GSB

baikinman

• View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 19, 2010, 06:24:47 PM »
Dear Brammo RDT&E as well as marketing and sales.  I live on Oahu Hawaii.  I ride my motorcycle everyday to work.  I have access to all military bases as I work on a base.  I would be a great test guy and marketing guy riding around the island.  When you are ready to expand to Hawaii, I am ready to test the Empulse for you.

Sincerely,

Phil

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #34 on: December 19, 2010, 07:27:10 PM »
Nice try Baikinman  :D

You never know, they might send one over.  Have you pre-ordered your Empulse?  One of the first 1000 people will win a free one.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

baikinman

• View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 20, 2010, 02:05:38 AM »
Brammofan,
   I will wait until 2012 so some of the bugs can be worked out.  Need to see if Hawaii will certify this vehicle. 
   But I am available as the Hawaii point of contact   :{)   

baikinman

• View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 20, 2010, 02:08:19 AM »
Brammo,
    What is the Hawaii plan?  Will Best Buy be our outlet?

Phil

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #37 on: December 21, 2010, 10:22:21 AM »
I'll have to let Adrian (aka thespecialone) answer this question.  I know there's a lot of independent dealer interest in Hawaii (not sure which island), but I don't know if Best Buy have targeted this as a future EV location.  Seems like a pretty good fit though.

akohekohe

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #38 on: January 12, 2011, 10:15:48 PM »
Follow up on two questions.

1.  Is Brammo going to support the SAE J1772 standard for Level 2 charging?  This seems to be the standard with the Volt, LEAF, and Plug-in Prius supporting the standard. I just installed a J1772 charger in anticipation of my getting my LEAF (Nissan is saying February for the delivery).  This is a big plus because public J1772 chargers are going to widely available as the electric cars roll out and it will certainly lessen the range anxiety if you can use them for the motorcycle.

2. I'll second the bring the Brammo to Hawaii.  I have reserved an Empulse and I've been nominating dealers and encouraging dealers to call Brammo. The climate, topography, and demographics make it an ideal place for electric motorcycles. It is no accident Nissan made Hawaii one of the roll-out states for the LEAF.
All you need in this life is ignorance and confidence, then success is sure. - Mart Twain

Dr Robert Harms

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ask a Brammo-- Empulse
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2011, 07:40:28 AM »
After the "we will continue to work thru 2011" (or words to that effect) aka , 'it ain't gonna happen when we said', there has  been no info  (that I have seen) regarding introduction date.  Update ???

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2011, 06:15:16 PM »
1.  Is Brammo going to support the SAE J1772 standard for Level 2 charging?  This seems to be the standard with the Volt, LEAF, and Plug-in Prius supporting the standard. I just installed a J1772 charger in anticipation of my getting my LEAF (Nissan is saying February for the delivery).  This is a big plus because public J1772 chargers are going to widely available as the electric cars roll out and it will certainly lessen the range anxiety if you can use them for the motorcycle.

My earlier question was pretty mangled. The MiEV charger is a J1772 charger (AC Level 2), not a fast DC charger.

So I have two questions:

1. Echoing akohekohe, will Brammo support the J1772 standard? Even if packaging constraints preclude an integrated J1772 charge receptacle, is an adapter possible? Tesla owners are also wrestling with this same problem.
2. Is a transportable charger with higher voltage / current a possibility? Something like Tesla's Universal Mobile Connector, for example. I'd love to ride an Empulse to visit friends and family 80 miles away, but standard 110v/15A charging would limit such trips to overnight. If I could throw a 230v/30a charger that would plug into a dryer outlet into a backpack and go, I could easily make the trip down for a meal or a shorter visit.

1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
Manufacturing Delays?
« Reply #41 on: February 10, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
Is it true that the Empulse has production been delayed until the end of 2011?

If so, will Brammo offer a full-value trade-in for the Enertia+, so those of us that pre-ordered the Empulse can ride the Enertia+ until the Empulse is ready?

OK, I admit it - I stole the idea from Tesla....

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2011, 04:37:23 PM »
Is it true that the Empulse has production been delayed until the end of 2011?

If so, will Brammo offer a full-value trade-in for the Enertia+, so those of us that pre-ordered the Empulse can ride the Enertia+ until the Empulse is ready?

OK, I admit it - I stole the idea from Tesla....

That's a great suggestion if Brammo could pull it off! I certainly would'nt expect them to though. How about a lease program that could be part of the pre-order deal? It would get more Enertias on the road, hell I would happily lease the original Enertia if Brammo would swap it out for the Empulse once it is available. Who knows, some folks may fall in love with the Enertia and end up keeping both bikes!

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #43 on: February 11, 2011, 05:33:33 PM »
I've been considering buying the current Enertia and riding it till the Plus comes out...then buying the Plus and donating the first Enertia to the Campus Police here at the University of New Mexico...

Why I haven't is that I think my wife would be a bit pissed++. She won't mind if I buy an Enertia or if I buy an Enertia Plus...but buying a motorcycle and then buying a newer version within 6 months of each other, well she is hella practical...and that wouldn't fit her mindset at all.

Gavin

++ok, i know she would be pissed :)  I already buy way too many toys as far as she is concerned. she's the type to buy a new car very 12 years or so...a new computer very 7 years.

oobflyer

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:25 PM »
Has anyone been able to confirm that the Rogue Valley Newspaper article made a mistake on the numbers - or has Brammo changed their plans for the 100 mile-range Empulse 10.0?

http://www.roguevalleycleancities.org/images/news.html/March2011Newsletter.pdf