Author Topic: Empulse Pre-ordernotification.  (Read 6581 times)

implovator

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
Re: Empulse Pre-ordernotification.
« Reply #45 on: September 07, 2012, 01:47:34 PM »
The federal EV tax credit hasn't gone further than the committee stage, afaik.

I'm confused. What's the committee discussing? Have the tax credits from the ACES 2009 bill ended?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_incentives_for_plug-in_electric_vehicles#Federal_government

AJ Nin

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 07, 2012, 01:58:58 PM »
Buy and hold is not going to work for electric vehicles cause the batteries will age whether you use them or not. 10 years from now, the bike will be nearly worthless, I think. You could never really afford to replace an aged battery unless Li prices come down which there is no signs of.  That's the other misleading thing electric bike companies...they talk about battery life in terms of miles, when the most important thing is probably age. I mean how can you put 300,000 miles on an electric bike? Nearly impossible. I do think you have the right idea though to buy a gently used electric bike to offset that initial high cost a little. Really, the best value might be in a demo cause the miles aren't really significant like they would be on a gas bike, yet many people might see 3,000 miles on an Empulse and think that was a lot. Not someone who is up on battery technology though. That could be a bargain. In fact, it is what I'm planning too.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #47 on: September 07, 2012, 02:08:30 PM »
I didn't say buy and hold for batteries. 10 year old batteries stuffed on a shelf will be useless and much heavier, more expensive than a battery replacement bought at time of need.

Agree about age. I hope to get 10 years and 100k miles out of the Zero pack. We'll see.

Edit: as for replacing at time of need .. suppose Envia delivers the goods in 2015 and then battery tech stagnates until 2022. $125/kWh, 400 Wh/kg chemistry means an 8 kWh pack costs $1000 for the cells, and shaves 60 pounds off the Zero S weight. Or keep the same weight and pack size, double the capacity for $2000.

If your motor, controller, electronics, frame are still good.. then go for another 100k miles. Battery costs of a penny per mile are affordable.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 02:49:11 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 07, 2012, 04:31:14 PM »
Based upon the rate that I am putting on miles on my 9 kWh Zero S, I figure about 5K miles a year is about the best I will do.  But I am retired and I am using the bike mostly as a workhorse to get me around town when shopping, visiting relatives, various appointments and miscellaneous chores.  If I was still commuting to work, I would be racking up about an additional 5K miles a year, for a total of 10K miles. 

I have never ridden any of my IC motorcycles more than 65,000 miles before selling them and buying something new, so I would never test Zero's battery longevity claims, in any case.  And I kind of doubt anyone else will either.

The Zero battery pack looks like a big lump and I imagine that they could sell higher-spec replacement batteries installed in a similar-sized lump in the future - assuming that the chassis dimensions stay the same and there is enough market for the batteries - neither of which I would put any money on.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

kingcharles

• Empulse E1 80-MF-DR
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2012, 05:54:43 AM »
Concerning batteries I think there are enough examples today that prove you will be able to buy aftermarket replacement cells/packs quite easily. Nissan Leaf already has an aftermarket add-on pack for extra range. For my Vectrix multiple options exist. So I am sure that for the Zero and Brammo bikes there will be too. Just wait for those "cheap" second hand Zero's to end up in the right hands and get modified.
Bottom line is that there will be a new automotive aftermarket industry: batterypacks/chargers/controllers/software.
So I am not worried one second that batteries will become a problem for older bikes. Actually it is the other way around. Cars and bikes will get second life batteries and from a recycling standpoint this is a good thing!
Once you go EV, gas is history!

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #50 on: September 11, 2012, 10:50:15 AM »
I just got a reply to my questions about the preorder process.

My questions and their answers are:
  • Q: How much is the deposit?
  • A: The deposit for the Empulse is $1,000.00. A dealer will be in contact with you to discuss payment and delivery options.
    :)
  • Q: How will the test ride proceed?
    • I live in Orlando, Florida, and I assume that I would be test riding the bike at a dealership. According to your website, the closest one to me is Euro Cycles of Tampa Bay. Is that where I would do the test ride?
  • A: Test rides will be available at our existing dealer locations next month.
    ;D
  • Q: I will be at Daytona for the TTXGP World Final. Will you have some test bikes over there for me to try?
  • A: Unfortunately we will not have any bikes available for test rides at Daytona next month.
    :'(

Note: There was a confidentiality note at the end of the reply email. If I get a complaint about revealing company secrets, I'll take this email down, but I think that this should be general information.
Richard #935 #595 #44

AJ Nin

• Enciter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 11, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
Two things are apparent: 1) Brammo needs money, and 2) They don't have nearly enough bikes available to offer test rides. I would still do the ride first, then the deposit, cause these are not going to sell like hot cakes. Really, once they start showing up at dealers, they will be easy enough to purchase off the floor with no additional waiting, even if that turns out to be January or later. The letter makes it clear nothing is going to happen until at least the end of October. Someone could go spy on their converted Walmart store to see how far along they are with their production line. Better yet, talk to someone who works at Brammo to get the skinny. I plan to wait a few months AFTER the first bikes are sold to read about them here on the forum before I plunk down $18,000+.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 12:55:09 PM by AJ Nin »

7racer

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #52 on: September 13, 2012, 10:41:44 PM »
First post, long time lurker.

I replied to my email to verify my preorder but haven't gotten a phone call back from Brammo.

How long did it take for them to respond after confirming the email?  I think its been almost a week for me.

flar

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2012, 12:17:33 AM »

I replied to my email to verify my preorder but haven't gotten a phone call back from Brammo.

How long did it take for them to respond after confirming the email?  I think its been almost a week for me.
I got the strong impression from their e-mail that nobody will be hearing from them until after October 1st.

To answer the question, though, I haven't gotten any email either.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2012, 03:19:43 AM by flar »
Current bikes: 2013 Brammo Empulse R, 2005 BMW R1200RT
Prior bikes: 1988 Honda Hawk GT, 1997 BMW F650

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 14, 2012, 11:59:44 AM »

I got the strong impression from their e-mail that nobody will be hearing from them until after October 1st.

To answer the question, though, I haven't gotten any email either.

Me neither...

WanderLust

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 27, 2012, 11:52:38 AM »
Alright, I have some news, but it's been a hectic few days for me, and I need to run into a meeting in a few minutes. But I'll update everyone as soon as I have some time to breath.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #56 on: September 27, 2012, 11:54:57 AM »
Moscow in flames, missiles headed to New York, film at eleven.
  :o
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #57 on: September 27, 2012, 01:59:40 PM »
Alright, I have some news, but it's been a hectic few days for me, and I need to run into a meeting in a few minutes. But I'll update everyone as soon as I have some time to breath.

Ooh! ooh! F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5 F5...

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #58 on: September 28, 2012, 07:41:47 AM »
Sooo, whats the news?

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #59 on: September 28, 2012, 08:39:30 AM »
I think that WanderLust got a job with Brammo, and he's been inducted into their code of silence! ;)

@EB - I'm surprised that your keyboard still works after mashing F5 all night long. :P
Richard #935 #595 #44