Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

Empulse Rider Questions

<< < (3/12) > >>

Shinysideup:

--- Quote from: skuzzle on January 12, 2013, 04:24:01 AM ---A gyro measures the rate of deceleration and flicks on the LED brake lights accordingly.

--- End quote ---

Weird they would use a gyro rather than just monitor the rate of flow back into the battery pack. But then I guess that's why I'm a RN and not an EE.

Oh well, there goes THAT $Million. :(

7racer:
I have a Tesla Roadster and it actually makes a lot of sense.  The reason is sometimes if you are at speed and you let off the "gas" pedal a bit, you slow but still have forward momentum and speed.  This is more like if you let off the gas pedal in a normal ICE car but you are still traveling forward.  The problem if it was not using a gyroscope is that the taillights would keep coming on and the people behind you would think you were riding your brakes. 

Shinysideup:

--- Quote from: 7racer on January 12, 2013, 03:31:55 PM --- The reason is sometimes if you are at speed and you let off the "gas" pedal a bit, you slow but still have forward momentum and speed. 
--- End quote ---

But if you let off "a bit", wouldn't there be very little current flowing back into the pack? That's why I thought the process could be more simply monitored by having a current threshold that would have to be exceeded before the brake lights come on. But Tesla probably knows what they're doing! (Lucky you, owning the Roadster!)

flar:
Power generated would vary by speed as well as amount of drag (deceleration), so it probably wouldn't directly correlate.  Also, a small power output while climbing a hill might not tell the whole story when gravity is responsible for additional deceleration.

If I were going to base the tail lights on something that could already be measured, I'd probably base it on the change in the speedometer, but even that could be fooled by varying traction conditions.

A gyro would give a reliable measure regardless of a lot of conditions that might fool other sensors...

Shinysideup:

--- Quote from: flar on January 14, 2013, 02:17:54 AM ---Power generated would vary by speed as well as amount of drag (deceleration), so it probably wouldn't directly correlate.  Also, a small power output while climbing a hill might not tell the whole story when gravity is responsible for additional deceleration.

If I were going to base the tail lights on something that could already be measured, I'd probably base it on the change in the speedometer, but even that could be fooled by varying traction conditions.

A gyro would give a reliable measure regardless of a lot of conditions that might fool other sensors...

--- End quote ---

Thanks. That makes perfect sense. And I guess, gyros are not as costly or complex as I first imagined, since there's probably one in my iPhone.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version