Brammo Empulse Discussion > Brammo Empulse

The 19 Thousand Dollar Question

<< < (3/3)

FreepZ:
I have the same mindset as EmpulseBuyer (no financing if I can avoid it), and I agree with skuzzle about the extra bits.

I have no intention of using that bike for anything other than commuting 80 miles per day. Adjustable suspension? I don't even know what that's for (I assume racing). Carbon bits? Plastic will do just fine for me. Fancy wheels? As long as it gets me there on a battery change, I'm not too fussy about appearances.

It would be a lot easier for me to decide if I was certain that I would be able to ride those 80 miles going 65-70 mph all the way, but right now I'm not even 100% if I could get all the way there at 55 mph. Yeah, it's got a range of 120 miles, but only if I ride at 19 mph. I would hate to have forked over that huge pile of cash* only to find out that the bike didn't fit my needs.

The only good news about the high price is that it's going to knock out most of the 900 people that are in front of me in the queue. If I want to pony up $19k, I'm confident that I'll get that bike pretty quickly.

* At 0.44 mm thick, 19,000 dollars bills would make a stack that was over 27 ft (8.36 m) high.

protomech:
The average speed for the UDDS test is 19 mph, but that's averaged over the entire test period which includes several segments where the bike is standing still.

Most of the moving bits are at 30 mph .. so the UDDS is probably fairly applicable if you want to ride at 30 mph for 4 hours.

I think 80 miles @ 55 mph is going to be really tight.. but still, I wish I could do that on the Zero. It's 83 miles to mom's house, about 70 of that is on state highways with 50-65 mph speed limits.. just barely possible on the Empulse. On the Zero it would take an extra 1-2 hours for an intermediate charge.

Still going to do it sometime. Just to say it's done : )

machone:
Agree with all that's just been said.

However I would be prepared(foolishly, perhaps) to get the finance but the two big questions for me are

1. What price will it be in Europe
2. When will the two models be available here

If, like some products, a 1:1 exchange rate is used, I'm out. If it is just exchange rate plus taxes and similar finance is available I'm in.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version