Author Topic: Hello from MA  (Read 2892 times)

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Hello from MA
« on: April 22, 2010, 05:13:51 PM »

I am fairly new Brammo Enertia owner and I use it to commute to work every nice day that I can. I have nothing but great things to say about the Enertia. I am also a first time rider in my late 30's. The more I ride, the more confident I get. I have researched the risks and I do my best to ride safely. I am taking a motorcycle rider safety course in May over a weekend. I am planning to get my motorcycle license after completing the course.

I am glad to be part of this group.   

Durgenbold

Re: Hello from MA
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 06:47:07 PM »
Nice to meet you, Phantom! A lot of the posters on this forum have pretty dry usernames  ;)

I've heard that a license is required in some states and not in others... But it's a great idea besides. I think I'm going to go through it before I ever buy one myself. It's great to see so many people riding Enertias and willing to talk about them. I have a couple questions about them myself, but I there's one I haven't mentioned yet:

A lot of riders rave that the Enerita feels like a "real motorcycle," and I was wondering if that means that there's an idle speed when you release the brake. I haven't heard anything about it, and I think that if there's an idle speed it would really distinguish the Enertia from electric scooters. So, in short, does it have an idle speed?  :)

It'd be great to hear anything from your experience on it as well, I would be a first-time rider myself, and even though I've heard that it's a really friendly and simple bike it would be cool to hear more about the initiation period in more detail.

Welcome to the forum!

-Chris/Durgenbold

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 07:46:57 PM »

Thanks for the welcome.

It is nice to meet you, too, Chris.

My state offers a learner's permit; which I have. I am not allowed to ride outside of the state of MA or in the dark until I have a license. MA encourages people to go through motorcycling safety training, and allows certain riding schools to grant licenses based on completing their course. There is no separate riding test required with the state as long as you passed their course.

I have not noticed an idle speed as you have described. It seems easy to maintain a speed of 35mph, but it could just be the way I ride.

I have taken a really slow and methodical approach to get used to how it feels and rides. I have started by going real slow, then get comfortable at turning, stopping, etc., then add a little more speed. I have read a lot on proper motorcycle riding technique. I also ride as if no sees me and I am really cautious to avoid cars, potholes, ice and sand. I have also practiced riding in an empty parking lot to avoid cars. I think it is easy to ride, but my mission is to get really good at riding it.

I have had a two small mishaps so far by reaching for the brake and accidently turning the throttle as I do. This has only happend when I tried to park the bike in a narrow spot. The kill switch works like a charm (which right there to help from losing control.)

Phantom/Dave

Durgenbold

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 08:34:19 PM »
I hadn't thought of riding as if nobody notices you, that sounds like a great idea, especially since there isn't any motor noise!

By idle speed I mean whether or not the bike moves when you aren't holding the brake, but aren't turning the throttle either. If it only starts moving when you pull the throttle, to me it would seem to be jerky (since there's full torque from the get-go) but it probably isn't. That's what I was wondering about, sorry for not being as clear as I could have been.

Sounds like a great approach to breaking into motorcycling. I'll read up about the technique, it sounds like a lot of good ideas! Thanks for sharing.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »
It does not move without moving the throttle. The bike is not jerky at all. I think it has been designed to be really smooth during the acceleration.  There are some videos online that show how smoothly the bike takes off from a stopped position.

I am glad my learning experience can help you. There is a lot of research you can do.

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:49:54 AM »
Welcome to the forum, Phantom. Congratulations on taking the plunge into motorcycle ownership. I like your approach to learning to ride, and would definitely recommend taking that safety class.  We have a similar class here in Oregon called "Team Oregon", which is now required for all new riders this year.  Very cool that you picked the Enertia as your first motorcycle.  Was it because it was easy to ride, zero emissions, or something else? 

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 11:55:33 AM »
  Was it because it was easy to ride, zero emissions, or something else? 

I was looking to buy an EV vehicle as a way to "put my money where my mouth is" to help encourage more responsible alternative energy solutions. Many people talk that people should choose alternative energy solutions, but it is meaningless without action. The zero emissions and the potential to use solar energy instead of gasoline as a vehicle fuel source is just too cool.

I had originally planned to buy a small converted electric pickup truck that I could use to commute to work. I saw a converted electric motorcycle on E-bay for $2,500 that was in my budget. Once I researched the speed and range, I decide to do a conversion myself with components to get the performance I wanted. The component cost was over $6K plus I would need to do a serious amount of work for the chance that it would work.

My wife suggested that I should look into buying one new. The clear answer for me was the Enertia based on your posts on www.elmoto.net which have also been cross posted here for the most part. I have lurked on that forum for the past year while researched how to do a motorcycle conversion. The very fact that you are on this forum is a prime example of my feeling about Brammo’s commitment to their product and to customers.

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2010, 03:11:39 PM »
Me, living in Oregon...we are a long way apart. However, I bet we have some similar weather to ride in. Have you had to ride in the rain? I was so impressed with the bike. I am used to riding gas powered and it can have some less than desirable consequences when its wet!! The Enertia is actually a bike that Im not afraid to ride in the rain.....never thought I would say that!

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 03:20:01 PM »
I posted in your introduction thread before I saw you posted here. No rain rides yet, but I am looking forward to it now thanks to you. Yes, I think our weather is similar for the most part. You probably get more rain, but I get colder temperatures in the winter.

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2010, 03:35:30 PM »
We can compare notes next winter!