Author Topic: Through the dirt and the snow? (Does anyone know?)  (Read 4285 times)

Durgenbold

Through the dirt and the snow? (Does anyone know?)
« on: April 22, 2010, 06:38:43 PM »
Hiya,

Like I've said before, I'm hanging in Michigan, known for its long winters. I know riding motorcycles in the winter is ridiculous (and I've read the Enertia-Crash story), but has anyone else experienced the ride when it's cold out? I would be driving my car usually but I run out of gas sometimes because I'm a poor highschooler.. What do you think?

Also, I live on a street surrounded by a couple miles of dirt road: I've heard of driving e-bikes on trails, but has anyone driven the Enertia on a dirt road? What's it like? How dirty does the bike get (along with the rider)? If I don't move into a dorm (which I won't, it'll save a lot of money), this sort of commute would be unavoidable. Is there anything like a wheel-well you could attach to prevent looking like you ran through a sandblaster? Thanks.
 ???

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Through the dirt and the snow? (Does anyone know?)
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2010, 08:03:43 PM »
I rode my Enertia in the cold and it was fine. The temperature was below freezing. The problem for me is the ice, sand and salt all over the roads during this time; so I avoid riding it in the winter. 

I have a commuting route which includes a small section of gravel/dirt road and the bike does get dirty. I clean and lube the chain alot to keep it like new. I wipe down the rest of the bike with a rag and a small amount of Simple Green. I own a mountain bike and I am conditioned to clean the chain after every ride.

Durgenbold

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:45:02 PM »
I guess it's common sense to keep away from ice and snow on a bike, nevermind about that  :P

The Enertia really deserves that kind of care, kudos to you! I would just have to get into those kinds of good habits (I'm horrible with my car, all I do is drive it and fill it up when the dial's at E)... Even though the Enertia doesn't technically require as much maintenance, I wouldn't want to be heedless with it! :-\

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
  • Director of Product Development - Brammo, Inc.
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:42:27 PM »
The bike holds up very well in the dirt... but you could always ask this guy...  :o

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 05:46:50 PM »
That looks like entirely too much fun.  I want to apply for the "Product Testing" department . . . if there's an opening.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 07:48:35 PM »
That looks really fun. I might have swap out my tires for some those. Nice pictures.

Durgenbold

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2010, 09:33:23 PM »
Wow! These may be the best pictures I've ever seen!  ;D When were these taken?

I see that overhang attached to the front of the bike, and that looks like a great idea for dirt roads! Does anyone know what that's called and where I could get one (in like...2 years...)?
« Last Edit: April 23, 2010, 09:40:23 PM by Durgenbold »

skadamo

• Administrator
  • Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Plug Bike
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 10:47:04 AM »
:O Awesome.

what mods were done to the suspension?

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 11:02:53 AM »
These photos were taken last week.  Notice there are some other changes besides the high mount enduro style off-road front fender.  This bike has 8" of suspension travel front and rear and is configured for off-road duty.  Please do not attempt this on a standard Enertia!  ;) More on this bike next week...

Here's a couple more:

« Last Edit: April 24, 2010, 11:07:20 AM by BrammoBrian »

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 12:24:18 PM »
Legal disclaimer:  Professional stunt rider on a closed course.  Do not attempt this at home.  This is not a stock Brammo Enertia.  It has been modified for purposes yet to be disclosed. Riding your Enertia this way may lead to disapproving looks by your parents...
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

BrammoBrian

• Obsessive Empulsive
  • Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • BRAMMO
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 01:06:36 PM »
Thank you, Brammofan!

Durgenbold

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 03:41:53 PM »
High mount enduro style off-road fender...thanks!  :)

I wouldn't be doing this kind of stuff but these really are some of the most appealing shots of the Enertia I've seen so far!  ;D

enertia-ette

• Empulse Guru
  • My Enertia, Dorothy
    • View Profile
    • Motorcycle Travel America
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2010, 07:25:51 PM »
I asked the same question before I bought and after I saw the last of the first four pics...riding on dirt thro the brush. My son in law cautioned me to keep the chain clean after every ride...he is a fanatic... and he looked the bike over and said that the shocks are very high quality and that it should hold up well on the uneven riding surface. He was very impressed, as was my son. Both these guys have been riding since they were big enough to handle bikes. They take em apart and put em back together. Although they both teased me initially, they were really impressed by the construction and quality. I also believe that the weight makes it managable for any type of riding. Thats the opinion from a girl!!

thespecialone

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Brammo
    • Email
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2010, 06:06:53 PM »
Ivan one of the Brammo test riders sees no reason to let the snow get in the way of his riding...again you will see we are running non standard tires.
Adrian

JN2Wheels

• Getting off Oil
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 09:45:23 AM »
Cool pics, and they show the enertia as a fun platform for offroading mods..

But, this dude really should have shields on the lower fork legs.  Kick up a couple rocks, and there goes that beautiful smooth finish followed shortly by fork seals ripped up and oops, a sweet fork all gunked up!