Author Topic: EV servicing economics  (Read 686 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
EV servicing economics
« on: February 22, 2012, 06:45:05 PM »
It has occurred to me that motorcycle service technicians are not going to be too happy if electric motorcycles become too popular. 

Right now motorcycle shops make relatively little money on vehicle sales, and sales of clothing and accessories (which have high profit margins) are no doubt declining due to the internet.  That leaves the guys in the backroom (the service department) to bring home the bacon. If you own a European brand IC motorcycle, like a BMW, Ducati, KTM, Triumph, etc., you will typically be paying around $300 for a 6K minor service and as much as $1000 (or a lot more in the case of the new BMW K1600GT 6) for a 12K or 24K major service. A lot of that work involves checking and adjusting valve lash and balancing the throttle bodies and removing and reinstalling all of the bodywork to get to that stuff.  Plus, there is a huge markup on all of the parts and chemicals (such as oil and coolant) needed to perform the work. Without the shop guys doing the heavy lifting (at $100 an hour around here), motorcycle shops would have a tough time staying in business.

Now along comes electric motorcycles.  Assuming nothing breaks, what need to be done to keep them running for a long time? (Zero claims a battery life as much as 300,000 miles and what servicing does a brushless electric motor need?) About all that is left to do is to grease the swing arm, steering head and wheel bearings every 20K miles or so, replace brake pads, the occasional chain or belt at 20K or 30K miles, flush brake fluid every other year and replace the tires when needed. All of that stuff can be done in your garage and if you want it done at a shop, you can go to any small independent service technician to have this work performed for less than $100 an hour.  You might never have to visit your original dealer, unless you just want to hang out.

And that brings up my question. Will dealers and their service departments wonder if selling electric motorcycles is such a great financial deal for them in the long run?   I wonder. ???
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: EV servicing economics
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2012, 07:39:16 PM »
The way I see it is that there will always be people who bring their bike to the dealer for servicing; servicing is too dirty, it's beneath me because I'm so high 'n mighty, some people don't have any technical/mechanical skills or interest, or the space/tools required.

Me, I've done my own motorcycle servicing after paying money to have a valve inspection done on my first bike which resulted in the "mechanic" dumping coolant into the valvetrain area and not bothering to change the oil afterwards. I don't like paying people to mess up my bike 'n car when I can do it perfectly well myself  ;D

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012, 10:43:20 AM »
I've done a little bit of work on my bike (1985 Ninja 750), but I quickly realized that I didn't have the tools, the skill or the time to do anything very involved. It would take me a while just to get the fairings off, and then the engine was buried in the bike with all kinds of special tools needed to get at it. It was old, so all the rubber parts were very stiff, making it very difficult to work with.

I figured that I should at least be able to change the oil filter -- I've seen oil filters done for cars, and that's easy! (I thought!) -- until I realized that I would need to disassemble a bunch of things just to get at that filter.

In short, I would much rather pay somebody to fight with that engine than do it myself. I ended up giving my bike away to a friend who had fixed my engine a couple of times in the past -- the problem was that the gasoline was turning into gum in the carburetor (To quote one mechanic: "gasoline today is sh*t."). "Never having to deal with gunk in the carburetor" is one of the driving reasons why I want an electric bike.

My hope is that I will be able to do all the servicing on the Empulse myself. "All the servicing" meaning breaks, lubing the chain, and err... that's about it. I might take it to a mechanic one day, but more for a show and tell rather than any work. I'm sure he would be curious to see one for real, since they are still pretty rare these days.
Richard #935 #595 #44

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2012, 10:53:49 AM »
I'm a big fan of both "Know Your Limitations" and of "Its good to pay people to do a job they do well"

I figure I make a good salary doing what I do well...I then use some of that money to buy fun things I like to ride...I also use some of that money to pay people to keep my toys happy so I can be happy riding them.

I have nothing against do it yourselfers...I'm actually kind of jealous of them. At the same time I like helping the economy by both buying way too many toys and also knowing some mechanic is going to keep a job because of bozos like me.

Gavin

ttxgpfan

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2012, 09:22:55 PM »
I suspect, that once elmotos reach parity in the marketplace that the profit margins may be higher.  But, maybe what we will see is service centers shrink.  If something does break the labor will be really expensive because the technician will be very highly trained in electrical theory and troubleshooting.  I think it is the tuning shops that will see the least change size wise.  But I think it will simply evolve from tuning ECUs and rebuilding motors with lighten cranks and pistons, to tuning controllers and BMSs, and getting the motors lighter to spin up faster.  Maybe playing with different magnets, cooling systems, wiring for less weight, etc.. 

Yeah, I suspect we will see service departments seriously shrink, and shops become a whole to smaller.  But that is some ways off.