Author Topic: I Just Don't Know  (Read 1946 times)

ChrisM

• View Profile
    • Email
I Just Don't Know
« on: March 08, 2012, 04:56:07 PM »
Can people tolerate one more guy agonizing over what to do, based on the recent E+ email from Brammo?   I hope so and apologize if not!

What's my story?

Long-time lurker - I've been a fan of the forum since last summer.  Really appreciate the insights and updates. 

Got the bug last year to find a gasless way to make my short commute to work and otherwise have fun riding around in the Bay Area - mostly around town, a bit of freeway, usually on my own, sometimes with someone along.  Not looking for a race bike by any means and a bit too middle-aged to gracefully pull off the race bike posture.  So when I first heard about the E+, it sounded perfect.  To be safe, I got on the Brammo lists for both this bike and the Empulse (never can tell what'll actually come to market, right?)

I looked at earlier Zeros of course, but the dirt bike approach and geometry isn't my favorite.  And with great respect to the Zero people, the Brammo bikes I've been able to see in person always seemed to be just slightly ahead on fit and finish.  So I've thought of myself as a Brammo fan right along.

Then Zero introduces the 2012 S.  Almost the same range, and it allows for a second rider and substantially better top speed, which seems to add flexibility for comfortable freeway use.  And if you're willing to really splurge, the ZF9 has range exceeding the Empulse, right?  Went and sat on one, and have to admit it seemed pretty compelling, not least because it EXISTS.  Still, it was substantially more expensive, so...

THEN, the Brammo E+ email.  Thrilling but also worrying!  Top speed still quoted at 60+ (I'd kind of hoped it would improve a bit).  Range unchanged.  Still no second passenger.  But the new price!  I actually expected it to come up a bit from $9K, but really didn't think it would clear 10.  $11K??  That puts it right next to the Zero!

Now I find myself doubting all my previous thinking.  Is the E+ simply less bike than the new Zero at essentially the same cost?  If I want to be true to Brammo do I have to go for the Empulse in order to get range, freeway top speed, and the chance to bring a friend along?  And what the heck will that Empulse cost by the time it comes out?  I keep checking the forum in case there's some new bit of info that helps make things clearer.  My heart is with Brammo but I worry.  Am I ignoring a bike (Zero S) that, in 2012 at least, offers better performance and value for money and I should just get over it and go that way?

Why am I bothering you with this?

Partly just to vent I guess - no one understands all this like I know you guys do.  But also to ask:  Is anyone else doubting at all, or are you all still super confident that the E+ will be what we've been imagining and turn out to be good value?  Anyone shifting focus to the Empulse in light of recent developments?

Hand on heart:  I'll never post at this length again - thanks for your patience!

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: I Just Don't Know
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 05:17:42 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Chris.  Others will chime in with their takes, of course, and I'll spare you my obvious answer.  One thing I did want to mention, however, is that the most recent photos of the Empulse show it with handlebars that promote a more upright posture, not the clip-ons of a sportbike. 
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 05:37:01 PM »
Is anyone else doubting at all, or are you all still super confident that the E+ will be what we've been imagining and turn out to be good value?  Anyone shifting focus to the Empulse in light of recent developments?

I am still super confident. I own an Enertia Classic and it has proven to be better than advertised. It meets my commuting needs and the operating costs are super low; which helps me justify the high, upfront price. You need a different mindset to look over the life of the motorcycle to see the value. Each person will assign a different value of the purchase based on a variety of factors.

I have been more drawn to the Empulse from the start due to the higher top speed and range to make a highway trip more safe for me.

It has been well-predicted that Brammo will take some heat and lose some sales to Zero if they cannot deliver soon, but I have faith in Brammo.  They will continue to provide great electric motorcycles when they are able.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 05:46:29 PM »
Can people tolerate one more guy agonizing over what to do, based on the recent E+ email from Brammo?   I hope so and apologize if not!

That's what the forum is for!

I looked at earlier Zeros of course, but the dirt bike approach and geometry isn't my favorite.  And with great respect to the Zero people, the Brammo bikes I've been able to see in person always seemed to be just slightly ahead on fit and finish.  So I've thought of myself as a Brammo fan right along.

That's been my general impression based on second hand information. Richard230 said something to the effect of the electrical bits of the 2012 Zeros seem to be very solid, some of the fairing bits are still rather flimsy.

Then Zero introduces the 2012 S.  Almost the same range, and it allows for a second rider and substantially better top speed, which seems to add flexibility for comfortable freeway use.  And if you're willing to really splurge, the ZF9 has range exceeding the Empulse, right?  Went and sat on one, and have to admit it seemed pretty compelling, not least because it EXISTS.  Still, it was substantially more expensive, so...

THEN, the Brammo E+ email.  Thrilling but also worrying!  Top speed still quoted at 60+ (I'd kind of hoped it would improve a bit).  Range unchanged.  Still no second passenger.  But the new price!  I actually expected it to come up a bit from $9K, but really didn't think it would clear 10.  $11K??  That puts it right next to the Zero!

Now I find myself doubting all my previous thinking.  Is the E+ simply less bike than the new Zero at essentially the same cost?  If I want to be true to Brammo do I have to go for the Empulse in order to get range, freeway top speed, and the chance to bring a friend along?  And what the heck will that Empulse cost by the time it comes out?  I keep checking the forum in case there's some new bit of info that helps make things clearer.  My heart is with Brammo but I worry.  Am I ignoring a bike (Zero S) that, in 2012 at least, offers better performance and value for money and I should just get over it and go that way?

Depends on what you're looking for.

Zero pros:

E+ has a 270 lb weight limit, which makes it strictly a single-seater (except possibly if you're transporting a small child). Zero S will transport two reasonable American adults (380 lbs cargo weight ZF6, 340 lbs cargo weight ZF9) if you buy the optional passenger pegs ($250).

Zero S is faster than E+. The Zero bikes have about twice the peak power, can travel at 88 mph for short bursts (~1 minute) and can sustain 75 mph. E+ might be able to hit 70 mph for short bursts, and can sustain 60+ mph.

Zero S can charge more quickly if you buy additional offboard chargers.

Zero S belt drive is much quieter and longer interval maintenance than E+ chain drive, may require regular replacement (maintenance manual says 12k mile replacement interval, dealer says that's very conservative).

Zero offers a bit better warranty (2 year full vs 1 year E+ .. at least that's what I recall)

Perhaps most importantly, Zero S is shipping today.

Enertia+ pros:

E+ likely has a bit better range than ZF6 S. City riding (MIC / UDDS) range is 76 miles ZF6, 80 miles (supposedly) E+. I expect 45-55 mph riding to be closer to 44-53 miles ZF6, 52-62 miles E+, 66-79 miles ZF9. (E+ has a 6.2 kWh pack, ZF6 has a 5.3 kWh pack).

Enertia classic instrumentation is significantly more advanced than Zero's gauges, I imagine E+ has the same instrumentation.

Styling, IMHO the E+ looks better. Your tastes may vary.

E+ is a bit less expensive at $11k instead of $11500.

If you need two-seat riding, then the E+ isn't even an option. If you need to operate on roads where traffic flows at 65+ mph, I would strongly discourage the E+ for safety reasons. In both of those cases you may well find that you gravitate towards the ZF9 instead of the ZF6 for range reasons, which then puts you in the same price ballpark as the Empulse.

If you're shopping for an $11k commuter bike, can live without two-seat riding, can avoid 65+ mph traffic, and are happy with the E+ speed then IMO the E+ is a better bike for the range.

Partly just to vent I guess - no one understands all this like I know you guys do.  But also to ask:  Is anyone else doubting at all, or are you all still super confident that the E+ will be what we've been imagining and turn out to be good value?  Anyone shifting focus to the Empulse in light of recent developments?

I think the E+ is a good value for a non-freeway commuter bike. The Zero's strengths are in things the E+ really does not do (freeway operation, two-up riding). If the E+ is even an option, then I think you have to look at styling and speed (ZF6) vs range (E+) and make your call.

Hand on heart:  I'll never post at this length again - thanks for your patience!

I hope the forum doesn't charge for long posts. I owe skadamo quite a bit of money if that's the case..
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 06:12:04 PM by protomech »
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2012, 07:24:49 PM »
Hello,

I'm new to the forum, and a happy Enertia owner.  I put footpegs on the swingarm and can ride with my girlfriend no problem.  I'm 175 and she's 110, and it works out fine at around-town speeds.  Probably wouldn't work if our butts were any bigger, but that's just another incentive to stay svelte.

Adan

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2012, 07:27:25 PM »
Hi Adan - Very cool that you've modified it for two.  Any chance you can upload or link to some pics of the modifications - extra points if you have a pic of the two of you on the bike. :)
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2012, 08:55:43 PM »
Hey, I'm 175 (by mid summer...180ish right now)...my wife is right about 110....

Would love to see the mod...being able to do a few miles around town with the wife would be great...

Gavin

Adan

• Empulse Guru
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2012, 02:35:44 PM »
Hi Adan - Very cool that you've modified it for two.  Any chance you can upload or link to some pics of the modifications - extra points if you have a pic of the two of you on the bike. :)

I'll work on doing that, but I'm pretty lame at that sort of thing.  I ordered the pegs through Scuderia West in San Francisco (same place I bought the bike). Then I threw away the package so I don't even know what brand they are, but installation was easy.  The pegs are not exactly rock solid, but they manage to stay in place, and we're only going 25ish mph at the most, so it's all really peachy.  I was concerned that she might be bothered by the motion of the swingarm, but apparently not a bit. 

I realize this is off-topic and not even the right forum category, but I had been reading the posts above about Brammo/Zero pros and cons, and the passenger thing is definitely a big one for some people.