Author Topic: Ordered a Zero...  (Read 1938 times)

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ordered a Zero...
« on: March 09, 2012, 04:25:44 PM »
I put a deposit down on a Zero XU today. The original Enertia Plus price would've made this a no-brainer for a decision, but with the announced price increase and the no-timeline for Canadian release I decided on the XU for commuting duties. If you guys don't mind I'm still hanging around, I change bikes quite frequently and want to stay apprised of Brammo developments and this place rocks for that (along with being very e-bike friendly). 

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ordered a Zero...
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 04:41:05 PM »
Congratulations, Craig. Yes, please feel welcome to stick around.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 05:12:13 PM »
Congrats on the new bike : )

Again, I would be interested to see your impressions once you've had some time to get used to the bike.

After discussing with facility folk here, there's no way to charge an EV in our campus parking lot. A removable battery pack might be a bit to hoof indoors, but it seems like one way to sidestep the "can't charge your vehicles at work" problem.

(they have no problems for example with running a 300w space heater all day long in the winter.. so I can only assume it's more of a lack of planning for lot plug service)
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 06:21:30 PM »
Speaking of Zeros, yesterday I participated in a photo shoot for City Bike magazine. They will be doing a feature article in their April issue on electric motorcycles (I think they will be concentrating on the Zero S as it is a new model). But some of the photos included my red Zero S, a black Zero S press bike and a black Enertia (which I think probably came from Scuderia West's test "fleet").  After the professional photographer finished taking his photos, I took one for myself.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 07:22:53 PM »
I saw something about that on Brammo's FB feed. Wonder if that's an Enertia Plus.. did you try to smuggle it off to Gavin? : )

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 07:24:18 PM »
Thanks guys. I'll post impressions, similar to how Richard did for his S.

Is the only real way to measure fuel efficiency via a Kill-a-watt while charging? I've kept track of all of my motorcycles' fuel economy and it would be nice to do it for the XU.

I found a solution for the (quite) limited range of the XU (with respect to my commute distance) that should work out nicely. Currently for Canadians there's a $500 voucher applicable towards the purchase of accessories, my solution involves purchasing the "quick charge" option and either getting back into reading or increasing my video gaming  ;D

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:17:57 PM »
Speaking of Zeros, yesterday I participated in a photo shoot for City Bike magazine.

That is really cool. It sounds some good press for electric motorcycles.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2012, 10:37:38 AM »
Here is another photo after the LRV left.   :)
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:48 PM »
Guess what showed up today...

and the rest of it...

Only one problem, the local MTO bureau thinks that Ontario does not permit the registration of any electric motorcycles. I know for a fact that other region's MTO offices register them, so hopefully this gets sorted out...
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 01:25:28 PM by craigq »

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 01:58:34 PM »
Nice...

Congrats and safe riding :)

G

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 02:22:10 PM »
Nice!

Hopefully you can get the registration sorted out quickly. I was really surprised at how easy the registration was here in Alabama, the lady took down the bike information, went outside to verify VIN against the frame, and came back in and handed me the plate.

I'll be interested to hear how easy the battery is to remove and charge. I could almost make the XU work in my daily ride. Today's one of my longest rides.

* 12 miles to work (3 hours rest)
* 17 miles to lunch and back (6 hours rest)
* 15 miles to a friend's house for tv and dinner (3 hours rest)
* 24 miles to home

On the fixed battery Zero S, I don't have access to charge points at the work parking lot. My only opportunity to charge will be at the friend's house, which I may or may not use depending on how much charge I have when I get there. (would like to take the Zero down to near-empty, but would like to not walk : )

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:54:34 PM »
Gaah, the frickin' licensing bureaus.  The last step between being stationary and mobile, legally-speaking.  Mine was pretty straightforward, for the most part, but I did notice that my recent renewal form had "Gas" pre-printed on the "Fuel Type" box, even though it wasn't on my original registration.

Congrats on your new bike!
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 09:11:21 PM »
Sweet bike Craig! I dig the swapable battery on the Zero XU... one battery at work, one in the bike... Swap upon arrival, and always charge on the companies dime, or have twice the range when needed.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2012, 12:20:46 AM »
Unless you plan on leaving immediately from work, no need to keep two batteries.. just bring the bike battery in to charge. 2-3 hours or so and you're back at full.

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 04:50:05 PM »
Update: I should find out in about 5-10 business days if the bike can be registered in the province of Ontario... more to follow when available...