Author Topic: City Bike magizine electric motorcycle issue  (Read 1287 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
City Bike magizine electric motorcycle issue
« on: March 22, 2012, 04:20:15 PM »
Last month I got a call from the editor of the Bay Area's monthly free motorcycle magazine, City Bike, Gabe Ets-Hokin, who I had previously met at a BMW rally. He had discovered that I had recently bought a 2012 ZF9 Zero S. Gabe told me that they were planning on writing a feature article in their April issue on electric motorcycles, reviewing both the 2009 Brammo Enertia (sourced from Brammo's SF dealer, Scuderia West) and the 2012 Zero S (sourced from Monroe Motors, a few blocks from Scuderia). I was asked if I would like to join them as they were doing their photo shoot near Golden Gate Park, about 12 miles north of my home. Naturally I said sure, that sounds like fun and headed over there.

The next thing I know, my red Zero and I are being photographed for the cover of the magazine. Then I was asked to write a sidebar to their 4-page article about living with the Zero from an owner's perspective.  The magazine just came out and (as their web site hasn't been updated with the new cover yet) I took a photo of the magazine cover which is attached.

Here is what I wrote for my sidebar. I might add that my services as a writer and as a model were just as expensive as the magazine.

Living with a Zero
by Richard Harmon

So what is it like living with a 2012 ZF9 Zero S?  Two words, cheap and easy - if you can get past the initial purchase price, of course. The Zero requires very little maintenance. You don't need to change oil or filters, maintain and clean a chain, replace sparkplugs, replace batteries, adjust valves, balance throttle bodies, adjust the clutch, or spend an hour removing bodywork to get to all that stuff.  That really cuts down on maintenance costs.

How about running expenses? The other day I rode the Zero from my home in Pacifica to the town of Fairfax to visit my daughter, a round trip of 76.8 miles. I adhered to the speed limit during my ride. About 10 miles of my travel was on the freeway and the rest was on surface streets. Using a Kill A Watt meter to measure the power consumption needed to recharge the battery pack, I used a total of 7.6 kWh of electricity for the trip. PG&E charges me 13.7 cents per kWh, so the round trip only cost $1.04, or about 1.35 cents per mile.  If I had ridden my Triumph, which gets 42 mpg, my fuel cost would have been $8.21, based upon the $4.49 a gallon price for gas at my local station that day.  A savings of $7.17 on just that one trip. When you add the lack of any substantial reoccurring maintenance costs and the likelihood that the motor and battery pack will outlast the chassis, it shouldn't take too long to recoup the greater purchase price of the Zero if you ride it a lot.

That is the cheap part.  But the bike is really easy to use. You just turn on the ignition key and then ride off. You no longer have to play with the choke and/or wait for the motor to warm up. What the Zero lacks in its ability to go long distances, it makes up with its ability to do all of those daily short trips (within a 40-mile radius) quickly and easily. And of course, commuting to work is where it excels. Plus, since the bike has no transmission or clutch, getting stuck in a traffic jam is a breeze. You can do the beep and creep very easily by just turning the throttle slightly to move at a walking pace, or you can ride between stopped cars as the bike is very narrow. No smoking clutch, overheating engine, or cramping left hand. And if the bike gets dirty it is very easy to clean since it has no exhaust system or chrome to polish.

You might ask if the lack of noise is a safety issue. So far it has not been for me.  No one has moved into my lane any more than usual and my only real concern is when riding around pedestrians or bicyclists. I tend to be very careful riding in an urban environment since the bike is so quiet.

Finally, there is the issue of reliability of a new product and customer service from a small start-up manufacturer. I had a minor issue with my bike twice stalling at stoplights. The staff at Zero heard about my complaint on the internet and called me to say that they would pick my bike up at my home, take it to the factory in Scotts Valley and return it to me with their latest programming and a new throttle assembly. They did as they promised and the bike has been running great ever since.

While an electric motorcycle may not be for everyone, it works for me.

The feature article itself is reasonably positive They pointed out that the 2009 Brammo Enertia and the 2012 Zero were not being compared against each other, but that is the way it came out.  In a nutshell, the Brammo has the better chassis accessories, such as brakes, suspension and build quality, while the Zero has much better performance and range due to its three-year technology gap.  Mention was made about the Zero's "no-name" suspension and brakes - which is not exactly true, as the suspension is made by Fast Ace and the brakes are made by Hayes, and that many of the components are sourced from Taiwan, in order to reduce costs. There were also comments about the inability of electric motorcycles to perform wheelies - which is something that I personally have no interest in doing. The article may not result in a stampede to purchase electric motorcycles, but it gets the idea across that they have arrived and are here to stay.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Phantom

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: City Bike magizine electric motorcycle issue
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2012, 04:43:17 PM »
Congratulations on the article and making the cover! The more good news about electric motorcycles, the better.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2012, 07:56:20 PM by Phantom »

EmpulseRider

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2012, 04:57:03 PM »
Very cool. Reading what you wrote for the sidebar has gotten me even more excited about the prospect of receiving my Empulse this summer. Very good points and well said.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2012, 05:41:17 PM »
76.8 miles in 7.6 kWh at the plug? Including 10 miles on the freeway? What speeds were the rest of the trip at?

I think it's too early to say the battery will outlast the chassis - certainly in miles that is likely to be true, but I'll be very happy to get 10 years of useful life out of my pack. Time will tell.

You need a ridiculous amount of torque to wheelie on a direct-drive bike geared for freeway travel. You wouldn't exactly be able to wheelie most gas bikes in 4th gear.. but the Empulse is coming soon for those that need to do so ; )
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2012, 06:00:04 PM »
Most of my trip to my daughter home and back was at an average speed of about 35-40 on surface streets, 60 mph on the freeway and a stretch of 50 mph along a state highway for a few miles. I also had to climb four hills while on the freeway, coming and going - when going over Highway 1 from Pacifica and back and forth over the Waldo Grade, just north of the Golden Gate Bridge. Both hills are about 600 or more feet high.

I agree that my statement about battery longevity is optimistic and just a repeat of Zero's claims, but they supply the facts and I can hardly argue with them. In any case, I was trying to put the best spin on owning an electric motorcycle - as it would be nice if I had someone local to ride with and for that to happen, we need more EV sales around here.   ;D
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2012, 10:18:20 PM »
Very cool, Richard.  You can finally cross off "cover boy" from your bucket list. :D  Great writing, of course, but I would expect nothing less from you.
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 09:45:56 AM »
To be honest Brammofan, I wish it could have been me and my new Empulse on that cover and that my comments could have been about how much I loved riding the Empulse, instead of the Zero, but.........

Brammofan

• Administrator
  • Brammovangelist
  • Following the momentum of Enertia
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Re: Re: City Bike magizine electric motorcycle issue
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 04:20:29 PM »
To be honest Brammofan, I wish it could have been me and my new Empulse on that cover and that my comments could have been about how much I loved riding the Empulse, instead of the Zero, but.........

I hear you, brother. :(
The Brammoforum Wiki is still active: http://www.brammoforum.com/wiki

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 04:52:24 PM »
Hear, hear. Hopefully we'll see a newsletter update soon.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:52:30 PM by protomech »

craigq

• Enertia Master
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 08:25:33 PM »
I know I posted this link already, but Richard you're famous  ;D

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/2012/03/md-quick-rides-2012-zero-s-and-brammo-enertia

Mods, please feel free to delete the standalone Topic I created a couple of minutes ago.

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2012, 09:38:12 AM »
Thanks Craigq. I hadn't seen that article.

I am not too famous. I visited my local Radio Shack store yesterday and the two young salespeople there had never heard of me - or my Zero, for that matter.  So I had to enlighten them about electric motorcycles by putting on a little show in their parking lot.   ;D

It is going to take some time to spread the word about electric motorcycles. It is a hard job, but someone has to do it.  :)

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2012, 12:17:30 PM »
It is going to take some time to spread the word about electric motorcycles. It is a hard job, but someone has to do it.  :)

Me too, me too! I just can't get my hands on an Empulse fast enough. :P
Richard #935 #595 #44

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2012, 01:37:40 PM »
Best way to let people know the electric bikes are out there is to get out and ride. Most times I park outside work or home I have to answer a couple of questions.

Electric motorcycles aren't for social butterflies - but in fairness, motorcycles in general aren't.