Author Topic: Brammo in CW Buyer's Guide  (Read 911 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Brammo in CW Buyer's Guide
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:11:33 PM »
I just picked up a copy of the 2012 Cycle World Buyer's Guide. They didn't print a ride review of any electric motorcycle in the publication. However, in their motorcycle guide section, on Page 33 and 34, right below the 1455 pound "Boss Hoss Gangsta Trike" (now there is a vehicle that needs at least three wheels), is the Brammo Empulse.

There is a paragraph describing the bike, along with a photo of the original version. The description mentions the IET, which "is intended to help the electric motor emulate the feeling and performance of a conventional engine, with a specially developed clutch and gearshift that enables the Empulse to accelerate hard from a dead stop up to is high speed."  No price is provided, battery capacity is listed as 10 kWh, wheelbase as 57.0 inches, seat height as 32.0 inches and weight as 420 pounds, in the specifications column.

On the next page the Enertia Plus is shown. The description says that the model has a "Power battery" with a "claimed range of 40 to 80 miles". The bike has a tighter turning radius than the original Enertia and "charging with the supplied battery cord has been simplified". "The Enertia Plus comes in four imaginatively named colors: True Blood Red, Peacekeeping blue ( :o ), Eclipsed Black and Aluminum Silver."  Price is given as $8995, wheelbase as 55.9 inches, seat height as 32 inches, battery capacity as 4 kWh and dry weight as 324 pounds.

Below that is the 2012 Enertia, which you no doubt have heard of before. The colors are described as being the same as for the Plus. Price is given as $7995, transmission is "automatic", and everything else, including the weight remains the same as the Plus, except for the battery capacity, which is 3.1 kWh. 

The Zero models are also described in the back of the alphabetical buyer's guide and the Vectrix is no where to be found.

current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Brammo in CW Buyer's Guide
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 10:58:38 PM »
The 2012 Enertia will almost certainly be lighter than the Enertia Plus - likely by around 40 lbs. Assuming E+ pack is ~150 wh/kg, 3 kwh lighter = 20 kg lighter = 44 lbs.

Did a couple errands on the GS500 tonight (still haven't sorted out luggage for the Zero). The GS500 feels *really* heavy after riding the Zero for a while. Ergonomics are quite a bit different too swapping back and forth. I wonder how much impact that'll have when the Empulse ships.. will be interesting to see its weight.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

Gavin

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Sol Power.  BrammoBlog
Re: Brammo in CW Buyer's Guide
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 11:03:56 PM »
Funny you should mention that...got on my large scooter (piaggio mp3-500) yesterday for the first time in..well since October when I received the Enertia.

First I had to charge the battery..doh...then went for a ride...gah...heavy and not nearly as fun...felt like an old man riding around...

Thinking about selling it, but then I wouldn't have anything to take my wife on...though she rarely rides with me...still...

Gavin