Author Topic: Fuel Economy Thread  (Read 25969 times)

00049 (AKA SopFu)

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Fuel Economy Thread
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
I was using "Road Trip" app on my iPhone for a little while. I changed "fuel type" to "KWh", and you need to know the price per KWh or for the total cost of the session (most of our charging stations over here are free or tell you exactly how much the session cost you). It works if you are willing to take the time to log every charging session (I lost interest after a bit). I'm pretty sure you can export into Excel from the app, but I just use the average consumption from the app to calculate the per mile cost of my gas vehicles in a separate spreadsheet.

I caution you against using a Kill-a-watt meter. Mine lasted about a month before it caught fire (I do have a thread here on that), and there are many reports of similar issues with them for high power applications. They may be rated at 15 amps, but only for short periods of time. If you're drawing a high load for hours at a time, you may run into issues. Quality isn't there yet. They may not make any for 220V used where you are at. I do know of other people with meters installed into the home fuse box for the outlet being used to charge the bike, but those also cost several hundred dollars. And you can't take those with you when you travel.
'03 SV650
'13 Empulse #49
Wheaton, IL

opfietse

• View Profile
    • My race site
Re: Fuel Economy Thread
« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2014, 12:21:20 AM »
Thanks,
I'll start using my own app and see if it's fit for the purpose. I'm more interested in the power consumption itself, not so much the cost.
And I'll double check my powermeter and if I'm not sure about it's safety I won't use it.
MuZ Skorpion Replica - Ducati Scrambler 1100 - Ducati Monster 1100 EVO - Brammo Empulse R

http://www.opfietse.net/mr-racing/