Author Topic: Ford Focus EV review  (Read 944 times)

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Ford Focus EV review
« on: July 30, 2012, 05:44:01 PM »
Today my newspaper published a review by their auto/Prius-driving guy, Troy Wolverton (twoverton@mercurynews.com).  He was not overly impressed with the electric Focus.  He liked that it was well built, had a navigation system, a nine-speaker sound system, quick acceleration, and an IPhone app that shows the car's location and nearby charging station locations.  He didn't like that it was more expensive than the IC version of the car, it had limited range, a small trunk, an inaccurate range gauge, slow console system, poor voice recognition and no fast-charge capability.

The car has a 92 kW motor, a 23 kWh battery, a claimed 76-mile range, cloth interior and 17-inch wheels. The price before taxes, fees and rebates is $39,200.

Mr. Wolverton said that Ford just stuck batteries wherever they could in the car and that ate up a lot of the IC Focus's luggage and trunk area.  It has 9 cubic feet less storage area that the IC Focus. The electric motor has been located under the hood. It takes up as much space there as the car's IC engine and there is no storage area under the hood. He said that the car's range estimator was wildly inaccurate. One time the car said that he had 91 miles left on the battery, but 19 miles later it changed its mind and said he now had 31 miles left in the pack. That ambiguity made for some stressful driving.  The car takes 14 hours to recharge from a level 1 outlet and 4 hours from a level 2 source. He said that the Focus is not a bad car, but he is holding out for something better.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
Re: Ford Focus EV review
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2012, 06:25:47 PM »
Perhaps Ford's expectations of low sales were dead on.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2012, 07:48:38 PM »
The reason why sales are low is because this is just a CARB compliance car.  They are required by CARB regulations to either sell a certain number of ZEV's, or buy credits from GM, Nissan, Tesla or Fisker, etc.

Ford would rather throw a half-ass effort at putting out small numbers of EV's, instead of paying money to their competitors for the ZEV credits that were earned selling real EV's.

This explains why it is pretty obvious that they really didn't put a full effort into this car.   

protomech

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • ProtoBlog
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2012, 05:19:27 PM »
I've seen that line of reasoning repeated pretty frequently, and I'm a little skeptical.

I would guess development and production for a quick & dirty ICE-based conversion 2500 unit EV line costs somewhere around $100 million. (say $25 million development, $75 million production costs) .. and who knows, I could be an order of magnitude low on development costs.

Figure $400/mo lease over 36 months + $7500 tax credit per car = $55 million coming back in.

$50++ million seems like it would buy a lot of ZEV credits.
1999 Honda VFR800i | 2014 Zero SR
Check out who's near you on frodus's EV owner map!
http://protomech.wordpress.com/