Author Topic: Plus with fairings?  (Read 1322 times)

Deadly Silent Ninja

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Plus with fairings?
« on: August 03, 2012, 01:25:26 PM »
For the technical-minded: what kind of gains could we expect if we added some basic racing fairings to the Enertia Plus?

I was thinking that, with the Federal tax incentive making it less than $10K, it could be an option if it could go a little faster and farther away with one charge. The fairings would make it look a little less like a scooter, too.

Anyone with some photoshop skills would like to give it a try and give us a visual?

Richard230

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
Re: Plus with fairings?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2012, 04:46:37 PM »
The only thing I can contribute is that my Zero seems to go farther when I have its Slipstreamer SpitFire, chest-high windshield installed, compared with when I am riding "naked".   :o

I have no facts to back up my observation.
current bikes: 2018 16.6 kWh Zero S, 2011 Royal Enfield Bullet 500 Classic, 2009 BMW F650GS, 2007 BMW R1200R, 2005 Triumph T-100 Bonneville, 2002 Yamaha FZ1 and a 1978 Honda Kick 'N Go Senior.

FreepZ

• Brammovangelist
    • View Profile
    • Empulse Experience
    • Email
Re: Plus with fairings?
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2012, 10:05:30 PM »
I have no facts to back up my observation.

Yeah. It would be interesting to put the bike in a wind tunnel and do some testing. Alas, I have no access to a wind tunnel.

Nevertheless, I would expect that your observations are correct. A windshield that can push the air to your shoulders is going to have less resistance than your torso leaning over the handlebars. I know that I get better mileage from my bike when I hide in the wind shadow of my windshield compared to when I catch the wind with my chest. (Heck, when I'm getting off the highway and I want to slow down, I just sit up straight and slow down with my torso "air brake"! :))
Richard #935 #595 #44